We stayed at the KCR for 1 week on our honeymoon and it was the best trip either of us have ever taken.
We stayed in room 1307 - third floor - the view was of the field/public access between our resort and the one next to it (far enough away that you didn't really notice it and mostly blocked by trees) if looking straight out, and of the ocean and the direct sunrise if looking to the side (a beautiful thing to wake up to every morning). It was the first building on the left and it walked right out to the pool area. It also has quick access to the fitness centre and parking lot.
The room was clean, quiet, spacous, and filled with all the appliances you could need while you're there including a washer/dryer, garbage disposal, & dishwasher. The his and hers sinks were a great thing to have as well. We loved going out onto the room long lanai (balcony) and appreciated the effort to conserve energy by having the air conditioning automatically turn off when the lanai doors were open. Housekeeping came every 2-3 days it seemed to us, but you can call anytime for them to come up or to exchange towels.
They mean it when they say this resort is right on the ocean - though swimming is not recommended at this beach by travel guides (we used The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed By Andrew Doughty 7th edition - it was the other thing that we couldn't have done without on this trip). It was great for walks on the beach and wading. Many people took lounge chairs up to right before the beach to read and tan, however we didn't bother moving ours as they were close enough as it was.
The main pool has a nice little waterfall at the far end which is a nice touch - it was nearly always empty when we were there in the evenings. The hot tub cut out during the second half of our stay, but the staff were quick to let us know, apologise, and get working on it. They also have a kiddie pool and a sand area with toys for any little ones.
Outside of the resort we rocommend Lydgate Beach Park for kids, beginner snorkelers, and calm waters (between Lihue and Kapa'a - it's surrounded by a rock breakwall), Po'ipu Beach Park for swimming and a bit more to see snorkeling (in Po'ipu), Kalapaki Beach for boogie boarding, body surfing, and swimming (in Lihue - best bet is to park at Anchor Cove Shopping Centre), and Ke'e Beach for snorkeling and swimming - there's a hiking trail there too (past Ha'ena, literally at the end of the road). If snorkeling, check out Boss Frog's shop (three locations - just north of the resort on the main highway next to Snorkel Bob's, on the way to Po'ipu, and one more I can't remember) for cheap rentals and also check into renting their underwater camera - it takes great shots (about 600) and does video with sound (about 40 min). They switch out your batter as you need it and burn everything to disk and give you as many as you want after.
The resort also has tennis courts (I believe rackets, etc. are provided) and a day spa onsite. The free wifi barely had a bar in our room and didn't connect; we never mentioned it or tried taking to the main lobby, but thought that might have helped.
It's located just before the busy part of Kapa'a, so it's quiet, but really close to shops, restaurants, and grocery stores/farmers markets. Infact, the Coconut Marketplace is right next door. For grocery shopping I recommend getting almost everything at the Wal-Mart in Lihue as it's closest to mainland pricing and to get your fruits from Farmer's Markets (again, the guidebook lists when they are at different locations around the island, but I think the one at the Coconut Marketplace is on Wednesday).
The resort does have a restaurant on site. The view is wonderful and the service is great (yay for Ryan our server who was awesome) and the food is really good. The price is a little high, but still reasonable for a nice dinner out. Otherwise we recommend Scotty's Beachside BBQ in Kapa'a, Tip Top Cafe for Banana Macadamia Nut Pancakes for breakfast in Lihue, and Ono Family Restaurant's Shave Ice/Ice Cream Shack for a treat (love the Macadamia Nut Ice Cream) in Kapa'a.
The consierge is very helpful with booking anything you wish to do while you're in Kauai, however, if you qualify for the timeshare tour you get some pretty awesome discounts. If you don't qualify for the tour (like us) then check out Boss Frog's shop (snorkeling etc.) that's just north of the resort on the main highway (next to Snorkel Bob's). They have compeditive rates and are very friendly. I do caution you however, not to book Duke's Kayak tour of the Wailua River; we and some other customers showed up for it, they didn't.
Overall, our favorite things at this resort were the location, view, comfortability and ammenities in the rooms, and main area (pool and sun area). I can't see how anyone could come here and not absolutely love it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amongst swaying coconut palms, plumeria blossoms and tropical landscaped grounds, Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy is a beachfront resort perfect for relaxing and soaking up the sun. Step outside and take a dip in the new swimming pool with natural rock formation waterscapes and oceanside Jacuzzi. Pamper yourself with a massage at the full service spa on site. Enjoy fresh Seafood, prime rib and Pacific Rim cuisine at Hukilau Lanai restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean. When you stay with us you’ll find studios, and spacious one and two bedroom accommodations with private lanais, your favorite watersports, lush flora and fauna, and some of the most dramatically beautiful scenery in the South Pacific. Looking for your perfect Hawaiian getaway? Discover Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kauai Coast Resort At The Beachboy Hotel Kapaa
- Kauai Coast Hotel
- Kauai Coast Resort Beachboy
- Beachboy Resort
- Kauai Coast Resort Beach Boy
- Kauai Beachboy
- Kauai Coast Resort At The Beachboy Kapaa