“Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Watford, United Kingdom
“Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here in May 2010 for our honeymoon. Ok travel time is abit on the long side (24 hours door to door) but so worth it when you get there. We arrived on a sunday evening so it was dark but the next morning the views around the resort were breathtaking which beach infront of us and mountains behind.
We were in a ground floor 1 bedroom apartment garden view although when sitting on the terrace or sofa inside you looked straight out over the beach.
The rooms were very clean and spacious with excellent kitchen facilities as it was self catering. (couldn't find B+B, Half or Full Board options for any resort on the island)
We didn't use the restaurant on site as it was abit on the expensive side so we used local restaurants either over the road at the Cocunut market place or a little walk down into the local town which had a number of different restaurants in.
we also used the BBQ grill which every block of apartements had use of 2 grills each.
The swimming pool was a good size and felt clean as the sea was abit rough to swim in and they recommend not swimming in it. The Jacuzzi was very good and great views out to sea. We had a massage each which was very good in the couples room.
Lots to do on the island and can book all through Reception although once you show any kind of interest they ring your room over and over again.

We had a great honeymoon and would definately go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mbartlett1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Indonesian first
Lake Stevens, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

I feel bad rating this property a 3 star this time around. I think both of my other reviews were 4 and 5 stars. This is our third visit to this property. We love this place. The grounds are beautiful, the location is awesome and it suits our needs completely.

Customer service is very very good. I am always surprised to see those who don't have this same experience. Everytime we asked for anything or had a request or needed something - it was taken care of quickly. Towels, more coffee, extra toiletries, fixing the safe....all done quick and with a smile. Every staff member, from the front desk, to the room attendants to the grounds keepers are so friendly. I love this about KCR.

The grounds/gardens are impeccable.

The poolside bar/food is great. They have awesome lunch specials that are a great value for a large amount of food. Happy hour specials and friendly service.

I have heard that the property will be going thru a renovation which is well over due. This is the reason I am rating the low this time. The rooms, although clean on the surface, really need some deep cleaning. The floors are really really dirty. I had to wear socks or my flipflops in the room the whole time otherwise I was kind of grossed out. I ruined 3 pairs of white socks...Like I can't even get them white now. The room we had smelled quite musty also. I know this is the tropics, so I expect that somewhat, but this was beyond reasonable this time around. The shower tile/grout was quite moldy. I was very disappointed with our room this time and I don't think switching rooms would have made a difference. We had requested a ground unit non pool side and we got exactly what we asked for, but here is my complaint about this. I would have figured that since this was our third time to the property, they would have offered us a room closer to the ocean. Instead we got the room closest to the parking lot. Luckily this isn't a large property and the traffic is quite limited, so really not an issue. I just figured returning guest should have gotten a little better. That is probably just my issue. But if I owned a property and someone came repeatedly, I would be doing the best to upgrade or take care of these people.

We stayed this time around as part of the Shell Vacation Explorers club and only had one cleaning/refreshing of the room during our 9 night stay. I knew this going into the stay, so it wasn't a surprise. I know this is normal for shell owners, but honestly, for the same price, I could have stayed and had daily room cleaning. I know that if you book directly, you can opt for a lower price to have limited maid service or pay a higher price for it. I think a cleaning/refresh once every 3 days would be nice though.

The pool area is in dire need. While it is still beautiful, the wear is really showing around the pool area. Cracks and moldy areas are abundant. The surface of the walking area around the pool is so slippery, my daughter fell numerous times and she was walking slow.

It was very weird for our stay this time as on numerous days we noticed the pool area to be very crowded, which is completely un-common for this property. Come to find out that the KCR was allowing clients of the Courtyard to use the pool as their pool was under construction. Really not a big deal, but it would have been nice if the property would have told us this.

We did not participate in the time share talk this time around. They asked us once and never bothered us again. I really appreciate this approach.

It is sad to see how much the adjacent Coconut Market Place is deteriorating and losing vendors.....But I am glad it is there. It is very convenient for grabbing a bite to eat or some sundries.

We did not eat at the Hukilau restaurant this time, but that was just because we really didn't go out much this time around. The restaurant has always been good, one of the best on the island....and from what I heard, it is still great.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank girlwolf68
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Resort staff very friendly and helpful. Room was nice, but shows wear and tear. Kinda musty smelling. Carpeting not a good material for the tropic, and this place gets lots of rain! Bed was comfy. Had issues with the TV that were handled well. Grounds are in beatiful condition, however the pool, tennis courts and especially the hot tub are beat up. The hot tub was gross. Time share people tell me renovation is underway, and the entire complex will get a face lift, and the pool area is to be re-constructed starting in August. They will have use of neighboring resorts during pool remodel. Food in the resturant was excellent, and reasonable. The beach is pretty, but really cluttered with driftwood, etc, and the surf is dangerous here, so watch your kids. Time share presentation was looooonger than it needed to be. Cleaning of the room was always a guess as to wether it would happen or not, mostly not.
Take a helicopter ride, it's fantastic, and drive to the canyon and PoiPu, they are worth the trip. Princeville and Hanilai bay were disappointing, compared to the rest of the island, although the light house is worh seeing.

Room Tip: Ask for the
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TSExpert
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Sister sent me a link for this place as we where coming to her girls graduation in June. I put in the days we needed and got a rate that was nice so I booked the room. Only at check out did I learn that at so promotion that they don't do the bed or clean the room. There is no notes about no service on any notes they sent to me. Never has this happen to me I have stayed where we did are own cleaning and towels but it was always on the contract. Not this place. Also never had the same amount of towels and at times no bath mat. But they always had time to pick up the cans and bottels that had a depoist on them. I did not buy the time share they are selling not sure but this might play into this. We have stayed at other Shell places and they where top of the line. This place gives Shell a bad name. Also while at the pool on 2 different days kids fell while playing please watch your young ones in this area. If you do go to the Island do go the Hukilau Lanai restaurant Ron and Crissy have their staff trained for a first class night of dinning.
At check out I asked the lady at the front desk to email my a copy of the paper work that showed I did not pay for a room that the bed would not made or have sheets cleaned for a 7 night stay. There a lot of place to stay on this Island just not this one. If all Shell Resorts don't put all cost and class of sevices on the Confirmation what good is it to print it. Just was thinking if I did buy the time share will papers I sign have all the details or will they tell me to go back and look it up on a web sight.

Room Tip: no clue
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sadbuttru
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Check out the Kohana Ranch tour while on Kauai. It was the highlight of our trip. We also saw turtles and eels at Poipu (right hand cove). The north side snorkel sights were unimpressive (ke'e, tunnels, anini).
As for the Kauai Coast resort--
Pros:
Condo style rooms with kitchens and laundry machines inside unit were great for our family.
Great location.
Cocpnut marketplace next door was convenient. Sad that it is half empty and a bit run down.
They upgraded us for free to a 2BR. AWESOME!
The landscaping is fabulous.
Cons:
The pool is on the small side for a "resort." (But it has a nice waterfall.)
The tennis courts need to be resurfaced and they are unlit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Swifty911
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed here March 25 through April 3rd, 2011. Loved it and will definitely stay here again.

We booked it as a hotel/condo but It is a timeshare so were "offered" a tour of the hotel but didn't take advantage of it. Very soft sell so didn't feel pressured.

Room was beautiful - we were in the Canoe building (appropriate as we are Canadian) on the main floor. This is the first hotel I have ever stayed at that looked exactly as the website photo's showed it.

Bed was amazing (very comfortable sleep), excellent stereo and high end kitchen with all the appliances - fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer & dryer.

This was our second trip to Kauai - last time we stayed at the Hilton - this property is so much nicer and way cheaper. Pool here is smaller but still lovely - and way way warmer than the one at the Hilton (which we couldn't use as it was too cold)

We had rented a car so were very mobile but staff here always available to answer questions and give directions. Safeway, food land and drug store were a very short walk away.

Free WIFI and parking were definitely an added bonus.

I love Kapa'a - so had the added bonus of the excellent location!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yukonifm
Los Angeles, CA USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Stayed for a week here in a one-bedroom suite and loved the full kitchen, large and initially clean room, large balcony, access to beach and clean outdoor BBQ. The beach front is beautiful as well and very uncrowded. There really isn't anything not to like about this place except for ONE thing - Timeshare Sales Pitches.

I do not own a timeshare there nor would I anywhere but they felt a need to call my room each morning at 8:30 to ask when I was coming by to pick up an info packet and take a tour (you mean sit threw your sales pitch?). After I finally said a definitive stop calling me, suddenly housekeeping all but disappeared for the last 4 days of my stay. Hmmm

Anyway, just say no up front and you will have a great stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank typhoonsurf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Koloa Landing Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Waipouli Beach Resort

Been to Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy? Share your experiences!