“The BEST Mexican Food in Kauai”
Review of Monicos Taqueria

Monicos Taqueria
Ranked #14 of 129 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place is THE place to go for Mexican food. I am convinced out of all of the places we had fish tacos on the island, this definitely ranks #1. The service is great and the drinks are yummy. Very good prices as well. This is a must when we go to Kauai.

1  Thank WONDERSMOM

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Buyer beware!!! Get ready to be nickle and dimed for everything that you order. As evidenced by this receipt, I ordered steak fajitas which were actually very flavorful and quality steak. The kicker is that the full order comes with only TWO flour tortillas! I asked for more tortillas and I was given two more. Let's consider that each flour tortillas probably costs 1 CENT each to make, I was not asked or informed but was charged $2.50 for TWO EXTRA TORTILLAS!!!! REALLY??? Well that is nothing compared to the $5.50 that I was charged for an approx. 3 ounce cup of shredded lettuce. When I asked for a side of lettuce to accompany my fajitas I was NOT notified that it would cost me $5.50!!! How unprofessional and rude. Why would anyone pay $5.50 for a 3-5 ounce little bitty cup of plain shredded lettuce. When I kindly challenged the charge AFTER my credit card was already processed (as I was not offered the opportunity to view my bill before paying)..:.the crazy charge was not reimbursed nor did I get any apology. When I challenged it, they just gave me a blank look. Too bad because although the portions are a bit small, the food was okay, the street noise is horrible and clearly the service is a failure!!!

3  Thank Kim L
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We loved this place! The service was very, very good and the food was incredible. We ended up going twice. Once for dinner and then again later for lunch. Highly recommended from the menu: Seafood nachos and the fish tacos!

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience to eat at Monicos. It won't be our last. It probably wasn't the best Mexican food I have ever eaten but it was good. The place is clean, the staff is friendly and attentive, the menu has a good selection(mostly fish dishes), and the prices are reasonable. It's a small place so you may want to get there early.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent a week in Kauai in early May, 2014. We ended up eating here three times during that week. We love "authentic" Mexican food and have several to choose from at home in Denver. But this place beats them all! I loved the seafood fajitas here. You get shrimp, scallops and fish-of-the-day on your platter. Everything is made-to-order, so give yourself some extra time. Loved the Silver Marg too.