“Great Mexican!”

Monicos Taqueria
Ranked #12 of 124 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hanalei, HI
“Great Mexican!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We love the food at Monicos! I would give the food 5 stars, the service isn't so great, and that is their downside. We went for dinner Tuesday night (closed on Mondays) It was totally packed inside and out! When you walk through the door there is no hostess, no one to greet you... just a couple servers running around in panic! I went to the register to get an employees attention to ask about the wait... no one really acknowledged me. I walked back to the door, maybe I should wait there, because another man was standing there too but we seemed to be in the way so we both joke that we don't know where to go! After 15 minutes I got someone and he told me the wait is 'at least 30 minutes' and has a whole page of names... I joked more like an hour, this is a small place! but i think he just told everyone that. We went over to the bar to get some drinks while we waited... but the bartender was busy. I still think he should of said hi to us or I'll be with you shortly or something, we felt ignored. But we started a conversation with other people at the bar who got his attention to then let us order a drink. We waited about 40 minutes and got a seat at the bar, then the bartender was really nice, maybe he thought he wouldn't get a tip off us just waiting for a table but once he served us he was great. Food time was a long wait too, there seemed to be alot of big parties, and complaints about food times and 1 or 2 guys in the kitchen! we ordered at 8 and got our food about 845 but we had people at the bar to talk to also and chips & salsa plus margs to keep us happy while we waited.
Food was great! Plenty of it! We left happy.

• Visited January 2014

Kauai, HI
“One of the best restaurants on Kauai”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Solid experience, every time. The food is excellent (favorites are the carnitas and the chili rellano plate), fresh and homemade from scratch. Monico himself is in the kitchen, as he has been for years since this place started up as a taco truck and slowly worked it's way up to the taqueria it is today. Prices have gone up a bit over the years but the quality and portions haven't diminished.
The wait for food can be lengthy if you're in for dinner as they get busy, but if you live on Kauai you know that already and you can plan ahead; and if you're visiting than you're not likely to be on a tight schedule anyway...just don't go on your way to the airport if you're worried about your flight out.

• Visited January 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This place is fantastic. Probably one of the best tasting margaritas I have ever head anywhere. Food was excellent I had the fajitas which were great and 2 of my friends had the fish tacos. All fresh and yummy. It will be a definite visit back there and a must if you like Mexican and are in Kapaa. Service was great too.

Visited December 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Monicos Taqueria a real treat!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Monico's was a wonderful Mexican Restaurant close to our hotel. It was amazing! The food was delicious and the portions were VERY generous. Service was quick and the meals did not disappoint.

• Visited March 2013
Burlingame, California
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and talking to the staff at our hotel, we could hardly wait to try Monico’s. We were really disappointed. We did not wait more than 5 minutes for a table, but we waited at least 45 minutes for our food after we placed our order. Then when we finally got our food, it was very blah. It was OK but nothing that you can’t get at any other Mexican restaurant. We still can’t figure out why it receives such great reviews.

• Visited November 2013