“great value”
Review of Kayak Wailua

Kayak Wailua
Ranked #1 of 50 Tours in Kapaa
More attraction details
Owner description: Our kayaking/hiking guided tour adventure is one of the few activities which can be enjoyed by all members of your family including grandma and grandpa. We invite you to read our 2000+ reviews; then check availability and reserve space at our website linked here on Trip Advisor.
Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“great value”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I was really happy that I booked this trip over more expensive options. Our guide was great- can't remember her name, but very thin woman with two daughters. The paddeling part of the trip was very easy. The hike was a tiny bit more than I anticipated, but fine. Wear sneakers and don't attempt it if you are not in realatively good physical condition. The scenery was beautiful.

2 Thank jnb2375

San Francisco, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A great trip at a great value”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This was a nice surprise. I had looked at a "fancier" outdoor adventure company that charged double the price, and really, the only extra I could see was that they included lunch. Kayak Wailua provided coolers to bring your own food and, in our case, a couple of cans of beer! (Our awesome guide, when asked if we could bring adult beverages replied, "fine with me, as long as you can kayak back.") That said, I wish they would just raise their prices $5 and include the high backed seats for everyone. I don't know anyone who WOULDN'T want to upgrade to those, so it seems silly not to just include it in the cost.

The kayak trip itself is fairly beginner, which is fine for people like me. Don't expect white water rapids; this is a leisurely float down a beautifully calm river. The hike to the waterfall is sort of advanced beginner. I had no problem with it, and did it in water shoes (our guide was barefoot), but I could see it being a little difficult for someone not in great shape. It's steep at times and there are lots of roots and rocks to navigate. The waterfall itself was a beautiful and fun experience. Whether you swim in it or not, it's a nice way to soak in some scenery before the return kayak trip.

Our guide was Tarada and she did a great job. This is a family-run business and I was happy to support it. I'd recommend Kayak Wailua to anyone looking for an inexpensive guided tour in Kauai.

3 Thank bee_queen
Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great company fun kayak tour!”
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We went on the kayak tour at the end of December. Although it was quite muddy (bring good mud shoes at this time) it was well worth the slips. The falls were gushing small crowds and a great 2 mile kayak trip on a still river (no current) easy but still fun and beautiful. Best prices on the island! Pack your own lunch was great. They provide a cooler and a bag for your dry items great for a active family. Very clear GREAT guides! The best and cheapest!

1 Thank KraUtah
Issaquah, Washington
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Fun kayak experience”
Reviewed November 4, 2008

My wife and I did the morning kayak tour on October 28th. The staff was very courteous and efficient. We received detailed instructions ranging from how to hold our paddles correctly to what to do if our kayak tips over (it didn't, thank goodness!) It's a relatively easy trek down the Wailua river to the secret falls. We brought a light lunch and ate after arriving at the falls. People are welcome to swim if they are interested. Tip: Book online at kayakwailua.com and save a bundle! We paid $47.00 while outside companies charge $80.00 or $90.00 for the same tour. Also bring a hat in case it starts raining - we were caught in a downpour while kayaking back from the falls! We weren't complaining though as it was a warm tropical rain...

3 Thank JD_Who
Seattle, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful adventure”
Reviewed October 19, 2008

This was our second time (this time using a different company) to kayak the Wailua. I really appreciate the service level of Kayak Wailua - start to finish. Clear instructions on what to bring, wear, and expect day of. The fact that we could pack our own lunches was huge - I'm tired of tour lunches . . .and they provided a cooler too. We set off on our adventure with a laid back but approachable guide (Renee) and enjoyed the other people on our tour. Paddling was easy - having some common sense going into the water always helps - and the hike was doable for someone with a moderate level of agility and fitness. It was fairly muddy and the folks on our tour took the slips and slides (some crash and burns) good naturedly. It's all very worth it. After a 30 minute hike we arrived at the falls and were blown away by its strength and beauty. The pools were fantastic and we perched on rocks watching the falls and eating our lunch. After our lunch we took the cool plunge into the pool/waterfall and took pictures. The hike out was on a different trail - some more mud and scurrying over big rocks, roots, and forging a few rivers. I highly suggest Keens or some other sandle that can handle mud, water, and rough terrain - tennis shoes will never be the same if you wear them. Bug spray and sunscreen are a must. Paddling down the river was a bit more work since the wind had picked up but it's a unique and gratifying way to experience the river and all of the beauty along the shore. It was a fantastic day! The value is really there and the ultimate souvenier was the blisters on my hands from paddling.

5 Thank linda4140