“Kayak Wailua and swim at Secret Falls”
Review of Kayak Wailua

Kayak Wailua
Ranked #1 of 50 Tours in Kapaa
More attraction details
Owner description: Our kayaking/hiking guided tour adventure is one of the few activities which can be enjoyed by all members of your family including grandma and grandpa. We invite you to read our 2000+ reviews; then check availability and reserve space at our website linked here on Trip Advisor.
Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Kayak Wailua and swim at Secret Falls”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

While in Kapaa one day we decided to take a Kayak trip up the Wailua River and swim at Secret Falls and we are glad we did. Well worth the $ and the day we spent. The double kayak was fun and the river beautiful to navigate.The hike up was muddy and slippery (need good water shoes). Lots of fun. Once we arrived at the Secret Falls we had healthy snacks and went behind the Falls and swam out into the pool of water at the base. The falls were flowing very fast and strong as it rained very heavily the day before. One couple had their snorkel goggles with them and could view through the falls, the rest had to hide their eyes and look away due to the strong splash of water. Take goggles. My husband and I were the last to get down to the falls and therefore last out for our group. One in our group took pictures of us by ourselves in the pool and falls- truly looked like we were at a romantic secret falls. The only regret is that we did not get to spend as much time there as we wanted. Next time we might do it on our own now that we know the hiking trail.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank 1-georgiapeach

Santa Ana, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Kayak Wailua River”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

What a great day this was. The staff is excellent, the kayaks are in great shape and they take you on a very nice trek. Kyle was our guide and was a great leader. We went up river, then headed East to an offshoot. It was like kayaking in a tropical jungle cave. Very cool. We stopped and hiked up to a waterfall for lunch and swimming.

Rent the waterproof camera. We brought our own lunch and snacks which turned out great. Many of these trips include the lunch, but I'd recommend this one instead.

2 Thank Greg C
Jackson, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great Trip- would use them again”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my second kayak and hike up the Wailua river to Secret Falls. Our guide, Kawika (a local) was great. He was informative and friendly. The 'office' where you leave from doesn't have any facilities (no restroom, vending, etc). You'll need to bring everything you want or need. The only part that was frustrating about our trip was a family from California who was about 15 minutes late arriving (we all had to wait on them), and they were annoying the entire trip. They were always last on others had to wait on them. This is of course no fault of the company doing the tour, but it did affect the experience that we had. My suggestion would be to take a party of your friends or ask for a small tour when you book. My first trip was with a different company that provided water and lunch, but overall that was about $60 more expensive.....bring your own water and food. Use the coupon rate that you can find in several local magazines. Even with the coupon rate + tax and fees + seat back upgrade, you'll be at $55 per person. This is average or slightly less expensive than others that I found.

1 Thank PhilipTN
Helotes, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An adventure worth taking”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I shopped the Internet for both value and positive reviews. I found both with Kayak Wailua. Their price is at least half of the other tour companies and the positive reviews were spot on. Our tour guide Johnny did a great job! Be warned though, between the paddling and hiking you will be tired by the end of the tour but it is well worth it. I would recommend this tour to anyone.

Detroit, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A have to if visiting Kauai!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I had such a great time last Tuesday with Kayak Wailua on our kayak/hike to Secret Falls! Kyle, our guide was excellent! He was very personable and knowledgeable about what we were experiencing including the flora and fauna of the area and he also made it a lot of fun. We had a great group of people on our 10 am tour. The Kayaking was relaxed and enjoyable and the hike was beautiful. You definitely need water shoes for wading the river a bit and then continuing on with your hike. I actually wore my water shoes and switched over to sturdy walking sandals for the hike. I put my water shoes in a sealed bag in the back pack for the hiking portion. Don't miss out on getting in the water pool and swimming to the falls. It is amazing! Pack your lunch, they provide a soft sided cooler and large dry bag for all your stuff.
You don't want to miss this when you are on Kauai!

1 Thank Jms3_13