“Disgusting, Filthy”

Classic Vacation Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalaheo
Classic Vacation Cottages
Annecy
“Disgusting, Filthy”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We had to cancel, the place was to dirty, filthy. I don't think they know what cleaning a room means, and they don't care!

Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mme_caribou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Michigan
Reviewed August 10, 2009

WARNING !!! The house was not as advertised. The furnishings were trashy, the place was not clean, the pictures on the website were misleading. The owner, Chris Webster, was a real jerk.
When we refused to stay there, he would not refund the rent we had paid him. When we said we were going to call the authorities, he beat us to the punch, called the police and accused me of "trashing" the house. He said we littered the lanai with food cartons, etc. and that we tore curtains and a screen on a sliding glass door to the lanai.
In fact, the curtains were dry rotted and torn before we got there as well as the rip in the screen door.
As for the mess, in one room, the sleeper sofa had used tissues on the floor under it, it was gross. The refrigerator on the lanai had someone's "leftovers" in it!
As it turned out, we stayed there for about 3 hours as some of our family members looked for another place to stay. Eventually, we found accomodations at the nearby "Plantation" resort. It cost us over $7000.
Anyhow, as I said, he filed a complaint against me personally before we could file our own. The police actually had a warrant out for my arrest for "malicious distruction of property". The next day, when we had settled in at our new lodgings, my sister and I went to the police station in Lihui to file our complaint, only to find out that the police were looking for me!
A police officer had responded to Chris's complaint by going to the house to see the "damage" that Chris alleged that I had done. The police report said the place was a mess and there were broken items. The police officer at least agreed with what we thought, although he thought that we were the cause, not the victims.
Luckily, the police and the district attorney could see that we were not the cause of the damage and threw the warrant out; but they could do nothing for us about getting our money back.
The system makes it very difficult for tourists to fight this kind of situation because you would have to travel back to the island to take the owner to court, and there is nothing that you could do if he and his attorney postponed on you after you travelled there. How many trips would you have to make?
As it turned out, my older sister who had arranged this trip was so distraught about the situation (the money lost and the stress) that it was ruining a trip she had planned for years; so, I dropped the issue for the remainder of the trip and we all tried to have a good time.
Upon returning home to Michigan, I pursued an inquiry into bringing Chris and Classic Cottages to justice, but found out that there wasn't much anyone could do for me. That's why I decided to write this complaint. Hopefully, no one else will go through what we had to endure.
Chuck B

Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
13 Thank tripdoggie

Travelers are raving about these Kalaheo hotels

Arizona
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We were very comfortable staying with Chris at Classic.
We stayed in the Hana House which was an older home with simple beddings and creature comforts. If you are expecting 2009 decor and pillow top beds stay at condo with the other tourists. If you enjoy being with the ones your traveling with and want to feel more like a local and less like a tourist try here. We love to cook and the kitchen was very well stocked with equipment. Chris makes available coolers and mats/chairs for the beach which were handy. I was able to put together a set of golf clubs from his garrage(free) and enjoyed 9 holes for 9 dollars at the local G.C. (all you can play for $9)
His cottages are off the beaten path which is what we enjoy, hope you do to. If you have never been to Kauai, and dont like wild chickens/roosters, dont come to Kauai

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChadnDayna
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2009

When we arrived at the Poipu house, we arrived to find our room with someone else's name on the door. After phoning the host, we found out it was double booked. By the way, the Queen Suite we ordered was absolutely filthy and filled with worn out Salvation Army type furniture. The towels were smelly and the bedsheets were mismatched and moldy smelling. There was dust on the fans and the tub was dirty. After talking to Chris, the owner, I said we'd move to the other cottages he owns in the town of Kalaheo. By this time we were tired from flying and had our 7 year old daughter with us. He offered a 3 bedroom house to us instead for the same price. I said I don't care about the size, I just wanted it to be clean. Guess what, bigger but still dirty. We stayed two nights while we found other accomodations (in Kapaa). We payed our two nights and Chris gave us a check for the remainder of our deposit. We were very happy to be out of that place, didn't feel like it was safe to have a child in those moldy conditions. You get what you pay for, actually, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. I wonder about the reviewers here that had wonderful experiences. I really can't believe that anyone would give either the Poipu house or the Kalaheo cottages a positive review.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank k1w1Vancouver
Alaska
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I stayed in the Poipu guest house, and our room (the Master suite) was wonderful. The suite was huge - with private bath, lanai, kitchen, huge bedroom, breakfast nook. The price was amazing for all this just blocks from the beach. You couldn't even get a dumpy hotel room for this price! My mother stayed in the "queen suite" which was also a great value for a private bedroom, living room and private lanai. The house was gorgeous with a very nice, large, landscaped yard.

I can't say enough good things about Classic Cottages. The owner was very nice, casual, and easy to get ahold of by cell phone. He provides snorkle equipment to borrow, as well as golf clubs, beach mats, etc...Kitchens are fully stocked with dishes, pans, etc... When I return to Kauai I will be staying here from now on!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HeadingEverywhere
Nutley NJ
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We loved our stay at Classic Cottages - clean, comfortable and within our budget. Kitchen was well appointed - making beach 'n' travel lunches worked great. Loved the sounds of birds, breezes through the tees. Convenient short drive to Koloa, Poipu Beach, Hanapepe and Waimea. Our host Chris took care of our every request and gave us great tips for restaurants, events and shops.

• Liked — friendly, home-like
Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mendl-Belle
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed November 16, 2008

The cottages were charming--snuggled in the trees with lots of birds and plants. Each cottage had cooking facilities (a plus for trying to manage health and food issues) and were geared to families. We stayed six nights. Everything was clean and comfortable and unbelievably affordable (a great find for anyone on a serious budget). Located approx 8 miles from Poipu, the cottages gave easy access to explore either direction around the island. During our adventures, we managed to put 400+ miles on the rental car and covered most of the island, including driving west up Waimea Canyon and north to Princeville for horseback riding.

Our host was friendly, had sports equipment for use by guests for golf, tennis, snorkeling, beach umbrellas, chairs and mats and he shared lots of great tips on how to find the places we were looking for, eating places, sights to see, etc. We feel like family now after sharing some great stories. If you want posh and pampering, you'll have to do the resorts and the cost will be significantly more. But if you want someplace comfortable and inexpensive to come back to after a day of adventuring, this is such a place. We loved its homey, family feel and any future trips to Kauai will definitely include a stay at Classic Vacation Cottages.

Note: There was no air conditioning, in our cottage, but with the shade of the trees and vegetation and with a few fans, we didn't miss the a/c. And you may be shocked to find a place that still deals in cash or checks. I felt this information should be mentioned, but it did not in any way detract from an excellent overall experience. Mahalo!

• Liked — Price, location, comfort were the criteria I used while searching for accommodation for this trip.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank ps_webfoot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalaheo
The Kauai Inn
#6 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Classic Vacation Cottages? Share your experiences!