“Absolutly Magical”
Review of Kauai Hideaways

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalaheo
Kauai Hideaways
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States
“Absolutly Magical”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We are two well traveled Yoga Instructors that have have traveled the world and stayed in everything from a floor in a train station in India to truly 5 star hotels in Italy.

We stayed here about 11 years ago and it was one of the more epic and magical weeks of our lives! The place is situated on top of a hill in the Jungle surrounded by lush vegetation, clean air, the sounds of the wind rustling thru the palms at night cast a spell on us that lasts to this day.. The house was super charming and super clean.

The owners were a very friendly couple that helped us out with info when we saw them but otherwise gave us ample privacy.

The place had a magical and peaceful energy about it, and there is rarely a week to this day that goes by when Caitlin and I don't talk about that magical week.

I am really surprised by the above negative review, while we did not stay in the tiny cottage I can say this, you are in Hawaii, it is an island, with jungles. There will be the occasional bug. Bugs are healthy and this means the land owners are not spraying pesticides. If you want a sterile pesticide loaded room and property rent a corporate hotel.

I would easily come back here!

Room Tip: If you want something truly Hawaii and off the beaten path with real natural charm this is it.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at KauaiHideAways, in Ukulele Cottage for a week. We enjoyed our stay very much. We could not find anything better for our budget. The location, the views, and the cottage are great!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Kauai Hideaways has three accommodations available: the "Oluolu House," the "Hauoli Cottage," and the "Ukulele Cottage." This review is about the Ukulele Cottage, the smallest of the three. Supposedly it sleeps "1-2 people," and since I was traveling by myself, it seemed like a good deal. I was wrong.

On Kauai Hideaways' Web site, they have photos of the cottage, and it's clear that it's small; but nothing could have prepared me for exactly HOW small. The entire thing, including kitchenette, closet, and bathroom, is 10 feet square. With the futon pulled out, there is about 1-2 feet of free space between the bed and the kitchen cabinets. The shower is about a foot from the toilet, with no partition except a curved hanging shower curtain. It would be INSANE for two people to try to stay here.

I could have dealt with the smallness if it had been reasonably comfortable, but it wasn't. The only places to sit were on the futon in "couch" mode, or the tiny bar stools that live in the bottom of the "breakfast cart." And the futon was far too wide to sit on comfortably (the edge dug into the back of my calves). When it came time for bed, though, the futon was even worse: the mattress/cushion was so thin that I felt every wooden slat in the frame. I probably got about two hours of sleep. Also, the pillows felt damp and mildewy.

One other thing I should mention: the cottage is in a "jungle"-like setting, which is kind of cool, but there are a LOT of insects around, both dead and alive. Sure, you expect that in the tropics, but what grossed me out were how many dead bugs and spiders I found on the futon cushion -- including one that looked like a bedbug. You'd think they would have vacuumed out the dead bugs before I arrived; what's that $36 "cleaning fee" for?

After one night in this awful little shack, I had to bail out and leave, even though I'd paid for three nights and knew they probably wouldn't refund my money for the last two (and indeed, they didn't, saying "sorry, we have a three-night minimum"). But I didn't want to ruin my vacation by staying in a place that made me uncomfortable and sleep-deprived.

To be fair to Kauai Hideaways, the other accommodations are probably fine. The location is excellent: in a quiet, lush residential valley well off the highway above Kalaheo, just minutes from Po'ipu. And I'm sure their other rentals have real beds. But until they replace that awful futon in the Ukulele Cottage, do yourself a favor and find somewhere else. There are plenty of nicer places in the same price range. (The Ukulele Cottage was $63/night, but when you add the cleaning fee, it ended up essentially being $75/night for a 3-night stay.) In the Kalaheo area, check out Classic Vacation Cottages, Seaview Suite, or Strawberry Guava B&B.

• Liked — Location, quiet
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed, lack of space, dead insects everywhere
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Adam97202

Been to Kauai Hideaways? Share your experiences!