“Still the best Italian for hundreds of miles”
Review of Pomodoro - CLOSED

Pomodoro
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We were REALLY wowed by this place when we went there last year -- we said we wished we had discovered it sooner so that we could have eaten there twice in the same week. We raved about the service and flavor, and the quality of the pasta. This year our results were still OK overall but very much back down to earth.

The service this time was friendly but there were a few missteps -- in describing one of the appetizers, in forgetting the other appetizer, in walking away in the middle of us placing our order, and in the yelling that was emanating from the kitchen. To make up for the forgotten appetizer he did comp a soft drink. (Thanks. Wait, soda refills are not free?!) This was a letdown as we experienced flawless, exceptional service last time.

The homemade bread was excellent. I ordered the lasagne which was good but meatier than I like it. Mrs. z had the ravioli with marinara sauce which wasn't as tasty as I remember it being last year, when I was struck by the flavor of the sauce and the freshness of the pasta. Both entree portions were ample in size.

The appetizer (which I believe was a special) was a tomato/ mozzarella/ prosciutto plate with an oil dressing and fresh basil garnish. The flavors were good overall. The amount of prosciutto was small, as it was sliced thin then rolled in layers with the mozzarella and then sliced to form a spiral disc which was laid upon the tomato slice. Not much chance to taste prosciutto there. Also a dash of vinegar would have been nice to balance out the oil. The basil was strong, possibly overly so.

In summary this is still the best Italian on Kauai and this restaurant would not be out of place in Little Italy in Boston, NY etc. If I had summarized our last visit, it would have been "the messiah has returned". This time our results were not as great but we'll definitely return when we are in the mood for Italian.

2  Thank pbz

Reviewed September 26, 2007

I'm a Kauai local. Pomodoro Resturaunt has been our favorite place for special occasions for almost 20 years! It is casual dress, fine italian dining. The prices are so reasonable--between 16-30 dollars per entree!

What gets you is the atmosphere and personal service. Your host is the owner's wife, she greets almost everyone by name, and if not she will find out your name. The chefs are brothers (one is the host's husband) and also the owners. They are all from Italy and serve REAL Italian food!

There are only about 20 tables of 4 in this resturaunt, the lights are low, and the music soft. It's not a place for loud partying, but more for sophisticated yet casual dining.

The waiters watch you all the time, your water never gets below 2/3 full and someone is there. If your bread gets low, a new basket instantly appears.

We went several nights ago for my husband's birthday, we brought our boys (age 13 and 14) for the first time. They loved it! I always have the chicken saltimbocca, I haven't had anything else for 20 years! My husband always has cannelonni, and we always have the tiramisu for dessert!

Our food is served within 15 minutes. The service at this place is just too incredible to describe!

2  Thank Kmm808
Reviewed September 15, 2007

We liked our experience at Pomodoro, but we did not think the food was not as good as most of the other reviewers. My wife and I live outside NYCity and maybe this is why we are more critical.

The owner was great and they had a nice, reasonable (which is saying something) wine list. We enjoyed our meal and thought the service was great, it was just not quite as good as the Italian food we get here...which would not matter, but all of the reviews were so good, that we were a little disappointed.

Would return...so don't get me wrong...oh, sit in the room on the left if you can...more intimate

1  Thank lucky49
Reviewed August 23, 2007

One of our better meals on Kauai. The waiter was excellant and the food was very good. However, I almost turned away when we peaked in the kitchen before being seated and saw the chef smoking while cooking. Yuck!

1  Thank actuariesedanddiane
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stumbled upon Pomodoro quite unintentionally while looking for a place to grab a quick sandwich. We were in a hurry so we sat down to eat even though the menu looked to be all heavy italian food. We were very pleasantly surprised when our food came. After eating several pieces of the highly addictive house made bread and splitting a very fresh and tasty green salad, our pastas came out. I had a seafood linguine that came with the most delicious, fresh, wonderful marinara sauce I have ever had (and I've eaten a lot of italian food!) and my boyfriend ordered an exceptionally good pasta primavera. Prices are a little high but you really do get what you pay for! We left feeling as though we'd gotten very good value.

3  Thank elle13579