“Not Gluten Friendly-Disapointed”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here because they popped up in a search as a Gluten Friendly restaurant. When we inquired about Gluten Free items, we were they didnt offer any.
Unable to give a rating on any other aspects of this location.as we needed to accomodate some special dietary needs and looked elsewhere.
The Kalaheo Cafe across the street offered some gluten free and vegitatian options.

2  Thank kritter56
There are newer reviews for Brick Oven Pizza

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our second visit to a Brick Oven Pizza franchise during our visit to Kauai.

We had their large meat pizza offering, 15" of various meats. Attentive service (including slices of lemon and lime in my drink), crispy crust as requested, a fine pale ale on tap (Fire Rock? Local Hawaiian beer), fun decor (including license plates from all over USA and other places).

Like so much food on Kauai, it was fairly expensive ($31+ for a pizza for two), but cooked just fine and perfectly yummy.

Enjoy when on the south side of Kauai!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Every time we are in Kauai we make sure we stop here. The pizza is fantastic....not greasy at all. You have a choice of white or wheat crust which can be brushed with garlic butter. The crust is ice and crisp. You can order beer by the glass or pitcher. The servers are super friendly. A great experience.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our family loves pizza, especially after a busy day of hiking and sightseeing. We somehow stumbled onto Brick Oven Pizza which is in a fairly nondescript buidling off the highway from Poipu to Waimea. It was hard to find parking, which was a good sign. The place was packed on Monday night and when our pizza arrived, it was a shock. The crust was crisp and flavorful and the pizza itself was spectacular. The restaurant was very family friendly. This is a can't miss spot on southern Kauai.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wish "no stars" was a option! My husband and I ate at the Kalaheo Brick Oven Pizza joint yesterday. We'd read in the "Ultimate Kauai" guide book that this place serves up the best pizza on Kauai "bar none"! What a gross exaggeration! We stepped into the joint and noticed two things right away: fusty, 1970s decor (with license plates from around the world decorating the walls), and the STINK of mildew throughout. Ew. Like a dirty dishrag had wiped the plastic tablecloths. We should've taken our cue right there and walked. But we were seriously hungry at 3pm for lunch.

We were handed a sticky, dirty plastic sleeve with the menu inside. Yuck. I flipped the pages with my fingernails, made our selection, and promptly went to the bathroom to wash my hands. Those menu sleeves need to be washed, bruddahs, 'K? Got to the bathroom, and there was no hot water at all to wash hands - only cold. I thought, "If this place is out of soap, I'm outta here." But it was not. Good.

Being on The Garden Island of Kauai, we ordered the vegetarian pizza, figuring they could use some of the creative local fare: goat cheese? arugula? sweet onions? But no. Our pizza was described as having sauce, cheese, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and olives. Sounded ok, if a bit unimaginative! (Check out Pitfire Pizza in Los Angeles, f'instance, if you want to know what a superb vegetarian pizza is.) Our medium-sized pizza was about a foot in diameter and had 10 slices. It cost $25.

What a disappointment! The crust looked like some kind of pre-fab, frozen cracker. I like a thin crust, but this wasn't even cooked through - it was doughy and wet. The so-called homemade sauce tasted like it came from a giant bottle (CostCo?). The mushrooms didn't even looked washed, and we even had the rubbery stems on our pizza. (at least they were fresh mushrooms). The olives were right out of a bottle: watery, tasteless black olive slices. The pizza was HEAPED with thinly-sliced green bell pepper - literally heaped! And there was thinly-sliced zucchini and some gooey cheese (luckily not too much of it). No onion, and none of the veggies were even roasted, sauteed or anything for flavor! It was absolutely atrocious. I could imagine Robert Irvine or Gorden Ramsey literally spitting this out in a napkin and having a word with the chef. Completely unimaginative and flavorless garbage. We had one slice each, paid for our pizza and left the rest behind. To his credit, our waiter asked if everything was alright? I said, "Not really." but left it at that. This place is pretty much beyond hope. I'm guessing the owner hasn't made his own sauce in about 25 years.

My advice to ANYONE coming to Kauai is: go to CostCo. You will get a pizza that is twice as tasty for half the price as anything served at Brick Oven - which, by the way is not even baked in a brick oven. But that's a whole 'nuther story that gets into false expectations and disappointment.

2  Thank 1TahoeQueen