“Wow- now this was pizza!”
Review of Brick Oven Pizza

Brick Oven Pizza
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Kalaheo
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our family loves pizza, especially after a busy day of hiking and sightseeing. We somehow stumbled onto Brick Oven Pizza which is in a fairly nondescript buidling off the highway from Poipu to Waimea. It was hard to find parking, which was a good sign. The place was packed on Monday night and when our pizza arrived, it was a shock. The crust was crisp and flavorful and the pizza itself was spectacular. The restaurant was very family friendly. This is a can't miss spot on southern Kauai.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wish "no stars" was a option! My husband and I ate at the Kalaheo Brick Oven Pizza joint yesterday. We'd read in the "Ultimate Kauai" guide book that this place serves up the best pizza on Kauai "bar none"! What a gross exaggeration! We stepped into the joint and noticed two things right away: fusty, 1970s decor (with license plates from around the world decorating the walls), and the STINK of mildew throughout. Ew. Like a dirty dishrag had wiped the plastic tablecloths. We should've taken our cue right there and walked. But we were seriously hungry at 3pm for lunch.

We were handed a sticky, dirty plastic sleeve with the menu inside. Yuck. I flipped the pages with my fingernails, made our selection, and promptly went to the bathroom to wash my hands. Those menu sleeves need to be washed, bruddahs, 'K? Got to the bathroom, and there was no hot water at all to wash hands - only cold. I thought, "If this place is out of soap, I'm outta here." But it was not. Good.

Being on The Garden Island of Kauai, we ordered the vegetarian pizza, figuring they could use some of the creative local fare: goat cheese? arugula? sweet onions? But no. Our pizza was described as having sauce, cheese, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and olives. Sounded ok, if a bit unimaginative! (Check out Pitfire Pizza in Los Angeles, f'instance, if you want to know what a superb vegetarian pizza is.) Our medium-sized pizza was about a foot in diameter and had 10 slices. It cost $25.

What a disappointment! The crust looked like some kind of pre-fab, frozen cracker. I like a thin crust, but this wasn't even cooked through - it was doughy and wet. The so-called homemade sauce tasted like it came from a giant bottle (CostCo?). The mushrooms didn't even looked washed, and we even had the rubbery stems on our pizza. (at least they were fresh mushrooms). The olives were right out of a bottle: watery, tasteless black olive slices. The pizza was HEAPED with thinly-sliced green bell pepper - literally heaped! And there was thinly-sliced zucchini and some gooey cheese (luckily not too much of it). No onion, and none of the veggies were even roasted, sauteed or anything for flavor! It was absolutely atrocious. I could imagine Robert Irvine or Gorden Ramsey literally spitting this out in a napkin and having a word with the chef. Completely unimaginative and flavorless garbage. We had one slice each, paid for our pizza and left the rest behind. To his credit, our waiter asked if everything was alright? I said, "Not really." but left it at that. This place is pretty much beyond hope. I'm guessing the owner hasn't made his own sauce in about 25 years.

My advice to ANYONE coming to Kauai is: go to CostCo. You will get a pizza that is twice as tasty for half the price as anything served at Brick Oven - which, by the way is not even baked in a brick oven. But that's a whole 'nuther story that gets into false expectations and disappointment.

2  Thank 1TahoeQueen
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were craving some pizza, and I read some reviews online and happened upon a coupon at our resort, so we decided to try out Brick Oven Pizza...and boy, we were glad we did! They have a Pizza/Dinner Buffet every Monday and Thursday evening, I think it was about $15 a person. The pizza is fantastic! Crunchy bottom, with soft doughy middle. They had a very large variety of pizza's and dinner items on the buffet. About 6 or 7 different kinds of pizzas with various toppings, spaghetti, wings, soup, salads, it was a great option for us! It was pretty busy and it seemed like a lot of locals went there, Good service, great food - if you are on Kauai, I would recommend that you stop and try Brick Oven. My Husband wishes we had one on the mainland!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We ordered a vegetable salad $7.20. It did not come as described on the menu but was good anyway. Big enough for 2. I had spaghetti and meatballs $9.95. It was OK. CW had the Alfredo pasta with chicken $12.25. The chicken was rubbery. Server said to write comments on receipt for manager. She had no authority to do anything about it.

1  Thank bldgdr1
Reviewed January 11, 2013

great pizza, perfectionists, plain cheese is great; full bar and takeout--good for kids and families