“Pretty noisy for paradise.”
Review of Hale Ikena Nui

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalaheo
Hale Ikena Nui
Ranked #1 of 2 Kalaheo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Not our first time in Kauai but last time at Hale Ikena Nui. Quickly speaking, the problem is it's noisy with animals (dog barks a lot), the owner upstairs who is up SUPER EARLY - much stomping. Thin callings and thin bathroom doors. Cows and donkeys next door. Sort of like a farm. And also not exactly friendly vibe. Really surprised since so many good reviews. Perhaps it's different if you stay in the main suite downstairs. Pity since location pretty convenient - but you need a car.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
KauaiPatti, Owner at Hale Ikena Nui, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

I have had a vacation/rental bed and breakfast on Kauai since 1995. I have always enjoyed having people visit me from all over the world and have always had a positive experience. I have repeat guests who have stayed with me for years and they continue to book yearly. My home is in a very quiet neighborhood on a small cul de sac. My street ends at my neighbor's 35 acre ranch. They pasture a few cows, a couple of mules and horses. Most of my guests enjoy watching the livestock and sometimes like to present the mules and horses with treats such as carrots, apples, etc. This is the second revie presented by the same couple who stayed with me in May. I only wish they had mentioned their displeasure during the 27 days they stayed with me. I would have gladly assisted them in finding a place more suitable to their many needs.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a great place to stay, excellent value for money, very comfortable and has great views overlooking the pacific. The owner, Patti, is really nice and bear the dog is adorable, and I was made to feel at home. It provides great accessibility for the island, especially for the South and West. I stayed here as it was close to Waimea Canyon. I would certainly return to Patti and Bear's place if I was to return to Kauai and would recommend it to anyone visiting Kauai.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank siethetitch
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It's located in a quiet and scenic neighborhood. Our host invited us upstairs for dinner and from her patio is an amazing ocean view. She is very welcoming and provided a comfortable and relaxing environment. I am eager to return and would recommend this B&B for anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a lovely stay we had at Patti’s house, located at the end of a quiet street, with a large terrace from where we can see the ocean.

Delicious papaya at breakfast, lovely welcoming and discrete host, and a large cozy bedroom.

If we go back to Hawaii we will certainly go to Hale Ikena Nui again.

Emy and Chris (Canada)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family and I recently stayed several nights at Patti Pantone's home and it was nicer and more spacious than we expected and the surrounding neighborhood is partly open space pasture. It is beautiful. Her dog Bear is an absolute delight. She had some of her neighbors over for happy hour one night and we really appreciated getting a local's perspective on Kauai.

Room Tip: Downstairs studio is huge and very private.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We've never written a review and it saddens us to be so negative but this is a shockingly poor value place to stay. We're from Montreal and have traveled extensively for many years. There are multiple problems with Patti's residence. Briefly:
1) Very Noisy. Her dog barks all the time (incl. early morning/late at nite). Patti does nothing to stop this misbehaviour.
2) The farm next door (not mentioned in her ad) has animals such as cows/donkeys that are loud throughout the night. So expect no sleep for anyone staying on those frequent noisy nites.
3) Patti ignores these problems by saying "she cannot hear anything". Perhaps it's to do with her poor hearing physically speaking, yet she did not attempt to correct the problems.
4) Patti gets up at 5:30 am every morning and is not quiet about it.

So in essence, noisy and deceitful on the part of Ms. Pantone about how loud her rental is.

NOT RECOMMENDED at any rate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank JJayJajy
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I only stayed one night at Patti's house, as I was on Kauai for a short work trip. But I had a great experience staying in her main-floor guest room. I arrived later in the evening pretty tired after a long day of work and travel, and Patti was very accommodating, made me feel at home and didn't mind that I turned in almost immediately. The next day, I was glad to get to spend a little more time chatting with her and playing with Bear. She knows Kauai well and had good tips for things to do when I make it back. She also shared some delicious mangoes from her tree, and the view from her place is just gorgeous.

The room itself was very spacious, private and comfortable. It was a little stuffy when I first arrived, as there is no AC, but after I turned on the ceiling fan, it was fine. There are some over-eager roosters in the area who woke me up a few times, but based on all the roosters I saw around the island, that would be an issue just about anywhere.

My one mistake was flying in at night. Patti's directions from Lihue were very clear, and it's just a couple of turns off the main highway, but it's a pretty dark drive at night with few streetlights.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalaheo
Kauai Beach Resort
Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast
Inn Waimea
Inn Waimea
#1 of 2 in Waimea

Been to Hale Ikena Nui? Share your experiences!