“da Imu Hut Cafe - New Location”
Review of da Imu Hut - CLOSED

da Imu Hut
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Northern California
“da Imu Hut Cafe - New Location”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Breaking news – da Imu Hut Café has moved to the
Eleele Shopping Center
4469 Waialo Road
Eleele, Hawaii 96705

My wife and I found out about the new location while visiting the Kauai Kookie Factory. Apparently they lost their lease and in September closed the old location near the Kookie Factory. Two weeks ago they opened in their new location in the Eleele Shopping Center. The restaurant is located at the corner of the two wings of stores.

My wife & I stopped for lunch on 20 November. She ordered the Imu Hot “Teri Fried” Chicken plate $8.75 and I had the Saimin Bowl $6.50. The Teri Fried Chicken was more than enough chicken for lunch and a nice dinner – my wife liked the Teri taste and wondered how that obtained the flavor without too much sauce.

The Saimin was good, but I miss the former large bowl serving size and have fond memories of the “Big Boy” size which could float a small boat. The present serving size in a Styrofoam cup is not as pleasing to the eye and not quite large enough for my large appetite. I can no longer say da Imu Hut Café has the best Saimin on the island – it is just average. Hopefully after they are better established in their new location they will return to their winning ways with broth and noodles.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank LostLen

Alaska
“Good food but closed now.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went to the Imu Hut for some good hawaiian food. No dissapointments. The food was inexpensive, really good and giant portions. Unfortunately that was the only trip we were able to make because they closed their doors looking for a new place to open. Hopefully thgey do before our next trip. It is worth the stop.

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Best Food We Had In Kauai!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stopped in here for lunch after a morning of checking out Waimea Canyon. This was probably the best food we had on the entire island! I ordered a combo plate with fried chicken and teri pork and both were amazing! The chicken was very crispy and the pork was sweet and delicious. The combo plate also comes with rice and macaroni salad, so make sure you come hungry, as you get a lot of food! If we ever visit Kauai again, I will be back for sure!

• Visited May 2013
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Some of the best on the Island”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

So we had an extra day thanks to Tropical Storm Flossie, and I am so glad we did, because we found out about Da Imu Hut over the weekend and they are closed on Saturday and Sunday so we didn't think we were going to get to eat there. Stopped by for lunch and we were so happy we did. Had the Teri Fried Chicken/Teri Pork combo platter-OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Chicken was nice and crispy and the pork was perfectly grilled. Wife had the Saimin and a stick of Teri Chicken, she was very happy and thought that it was one of the better meals we had on Kauai. Purchased a bottle of their Teri sauce on the way out. Prices are some of the most reasonable in the area too. Highly recommend!!

• Visited July 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Teri-iffic Chicken”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Had high expectations given all of the previous reviews. They turned out to be perfectly stated and helpful. I paid approximately $9 for each Teriyaki Chicken and Rice. Although my kids shared a box, I wanted one for myself and did not want to share with my wife. Although I couldn't quite finish it on my own, I really did not want to stop. IT was the talk for the rest of the week. This is a place for people on a budget in Kauai as well as people looking to have a fantastic meal.

Be careful that if you want lunch, that you show up before 1:30 as they definitely like to close when they say they do. Also, you may want to call in advance to see if they are open as the hours change due to the catering business such as Friday evenings and all weekend when they are closed (I think they are just out beaching it). It's counter service, so just step up and place your order. Be friendly as the team there are truly fantastic people that share Aloha.

Dine-in is not really recommended as its quite basic and Kauai has so many outdoor places to eat a plate lunch. You would be best suited to have your order "to-go" and find yourself a nice beach not too far away for a pic-nic (e.g. Salt Pond Beach Park). Not with a GPS or a smart phone - ask the service team where to go. They give great directions!

Visited June 2013