Hanalei Colony Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
All reviewsocean frontcoffee shoppool areapremium oceanfrontshuttle servicenorth shoremediterranean gourmetone lane bridgestunnels beachthe kitchenrestaurant next doorfront officefree shuttleget away from it allsewer smellon site restaurantart gallery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We visited during the first week of their new shuttle service, which we took great advantage of. The shuttle ran to all the beaches to the west (Tunnels, Haena, Ke'e) and to Hanalei, with a special dinner shuttle to Princeville for a small extra charge. The drivers, especially Joe, were incredibly nice and took great care of us. The parking at these beaches is out of control - it makes you feel like you spend some of your earned relaxation just finding a parking spot. The shuttle just drops you off (especially at Tunnels, you get dropped off at a prime location) and picks you up when you are ready to go. A great amenity for this already nice resort.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Reba17
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the 4 seasons on Maui and were concerned about "downgrading" when we got to Kauai. We originally had reservations to stay at the Grand Hyatt but decided we wanted to stay on the north shore. A local recommended Hanalei Colony Resort when I called to make a boat reservation and promised i would not be disappointed. We arrived late and knew the front office would be closed. We gathered our keys and belongs and carried our luggage to our 2nd floor ocean view unit. ( we knew what we signed up for but at that moment in the dark night were really missing having a valet and bellmen). We settled in and went to sleep. The next morning, we woke up to the most amazing views and I suddenly forgot about all the amenities I thought I'd miss. Surrounded by the beauty of nature, there is no need for "fluff" here. On our last day, the resort started running a shuttle to local spots. We took the inaugural shuttle ride to tunnels beach for a few hours of snorkeling prior to our departure. The gentlemen running the shuttle new we had a schedule to follow and even came out to the beach to find us at pick up time. We say them later and they helped us with our luggage to thank us for riding the shuttle. Living on the east coast I thought a flight to Hawaii was something I would only do once. I will definitely be returning to Kauaii sooner rather than later.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn O
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I had a beautiful stay at Hanalei Colony. The secluded, quiet nature of the facility was a wonderful way to relax. We loved the area and the amenities were great.

One drawback happened when we thought our checkout time was later than it actually was and we were unprepared to leave at the allotted time. When my husband explained our predicament, the manager responded in a demanding, curt and threatening manner. She lacked empathy and her behavior was dismissive. Nowhere was the checkout time posted and no one stated it when we checked in. Most places, out of simple curtesy, allow an extra hour or two for just this purpose. We left wondering where the manager's aloha spirit was!

Room Tip: Choose rooms with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HCRManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hanalei Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Aloha Twood54,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay here at Hanalei Colony Resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our property relaxing, secluded and quiet. We hope you will join us again in the future.

I am truly sorry to hear about the experience you had here at our resort. While this is not typical of our property, I can certainly understand your frustration. Your comments are valued and we appreciate your help in improving our services.

Again, we apologize and will make every effort to improve. We look forward to the opportunity to speak with you and hope for the chance to welcome you back so that you may experience the hospitality and aloha spirit, Hanalei Colony Resort, is known for.

A hui hou & Mahalo,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2013

An amazing place to stay that is very close to nature and real (old) Hawaii! Hanalei Colony Resort is in Haena, near Wainiha Bay. It is close to "the end of the road".

We've always eaten at the restaurant on site, Mediterranean Gourmet, which is our FAVORITE restaurant on Kaua'i. Having been to the restaurant, we were always intrigued by the condo type accommodations at HCR and wanted to stay there. We stayed 3 nights and we wish it was longer....

A terrific location if you want Northshore Kaua'i. Close to the Kalalau Trail, Ke'e Beach ("the end of the road"), Tunnels Beach and Haena Beach Park. Also close to Limahuli Gardens -- which is a must see National Tropical Botanical Garden.

The staff at HCR is incredibly friendly and warm. Excellent concierge. Beautiful grounds. Relaxed feel. Lovely swimming pool. Great spot for rugged, rustic, unspoiled beach walks. HCR is not air conditioned but the ocean breeze and cross ventilation as well as ceiling fans makes it delightful.

We had a fabulous stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in I-3. Ocean Front (but not Deluxe Ocean Front). You can request two rooms and they try their best to accommodate your wishes. Prices vary based on location.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aloha25
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed a romantic couples massage on the beach here the past five times we've been on the island. I strongly encourage you to book a massage for just after you arrive because it will set the tone for your entire trip. Imagine being in an A-frame hut on the beach, listening to the ocean and feeling the breeze, while an experienced masseuse/masseur rids your body of all post-travel aches and pains. You feel me here? It's not only relaxing, it encourages you to slow down and start concentrating on what Kauai is really all about -- a break from the real world. Professional, courteous and laid back. And it doesn't hurt that they have a coffee shop next door where you can pop in for a post-massage mocha:)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple