“A regular lunch stop when we're in Hanalei”

Kalypso Island Bar and Grill
Ranked #9 of 49 Restaurants in Hanalei
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Not really sure what keeps drawing us back to Kalypso. Their top shelf mai tais are certainly a factor. Service is never great but always acceptable. Like many Kauai restaurants, the staff appears bored with their job and tired of tourists. They interact much better with the locals than with visitors—and this place gets lots of locals. The food is never spectacular, but is consistently good. The last time we were there, we couldn’t seem to escape screaming children and their oblivious parents and ended up finishing our meal and drinks at the bar. As others have said, Kalypso has decent prices and an often boisterous sports-bar atmosphere that fits a “niche” – and it’s the only place like it in town.

There are newer reviews for Kalypso Island Bar and Grill

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Happy hour all night on Wednesday's. Also went back there for dinner. Compared to most eating places in the area we found this to be most reasonably priced. Other places were outrageously priced. Good atmosphere. For dinner we were not even offered desert menu where others were. Both at happy hour and dinner they were quick to bring the bill in attempt to turn the table over. Many locals come here

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband loved his fish burrito. My salad wasn't the greatest. The staff were all really friendly. Fun atmosphere.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I drove up to Hanalei for the day and stopped by Kalypso's. It's not a big place but enough room for a larger party. Sports bar ambience but a nice island feel. The fish tacos were excellent and my wife loved the Macadamia banana foster pancakes with butterscotch rum syrup. The waitress was very nice and checked on us regularly. Reasonably priced.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was a nice place to stop for happy hour on our trip to the North Shore. The food selection was varied and very reasonably priced. We especially enjoyed some of the meatiest calamari we've ever had. Service was good, as well. We are staying on the south end of the island so I wouldn't make a trip to Hanalei just to go to Kalypso's, but I'd definitely return if I was in the area.