“Pleasantly Surprised by this Place”

Neide's Salsa and Samba
Ranked #32 of 50 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I'm really surprised to read the other reviews posted on this restaurant. We ate dinner here one night, and enjoyed it. I had a lovely MaiTai while we waited. I had the nightly special which was a steak covered in a green chili sauce with an egg fried on top. It's not something I would normally order, but decided to be bold and try it anyway. It was an explosion of flavors, and I enjoyed it very much. I know you're probably thinking right now that we're not used to good restaurants, but that couldn't be further from the truth. As a Houstonian, we have famously fabulous restaurants and competition keeps everyone on their toes. Maybe we just hit this place on a good night, but we enjoyed our meal and enjoyed dining on the open air patio. My tip would be to try the daily specials.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

The food was mediocre and bland. The restaurant itself was tiny, but the atmosphere was cheerful. We would never go back, though, due to the quality of the food.

Reviewed February 26, 2010

First day on Kauai drove up from Kapaa to Hanalei for sightseeing, stopped in at Neide's for lunch. The ambiance was great...open terrace-like setting in a small mall-type building, nice view, very pleasant light breeze. Unfortunately that was the highlight. The service was okay though we had to ask for chips and salsa. The chips were flavorless and the salsa was almost inedible...water with tomatoes and stuff floating in it...just terrible. The entrees were similarly flavorless, lacking any seasoning, just bland bland blah. Edible, yes, not terrible...just vitually tasteless. Oh, also, many of the entrees (maybe a third to a half of the menu) were fish items, and I wanted to order a fish dish, but was told there was no fish available. Are you kidding me? Nuff said...I'll never go back there.

Reviewed February 2, 2010

Four of us ate lunch here while knocking around Hanalei and none of us enjoyed our meal. The food was overpriced for the taste...or lack thereof. Each of our dishes lacked even the most basic of seasoning. The Brazilian crepe was the most nondescript, flavorless thing I've had ever in Hawaii other than poi. The margarita was very weak. We were unable to have sides of guacamole because they were only provisioned for the dishes that included it in the ingredient list...it's a MEXICAN RESTAURANT! Guacamole is a stable and not something you may or may not have available for customers to order as a side. Although the waitress was polite, she forgot all our waters. Overall we paid typical Hawaiian inflated prices for an unsatisfying, bland meal.

Reviewed January 27, 2010

mediocre mexican food: stick to the Brazilian dishes. Margarita was weak: go with the beer or iced tea. Chicken dish really good, taco tortillas were soggy, vegetarian crepe just so-so.
Save your money for the ahi roll and soft shell crab roll at Hanalei Dolphin fish market