“Best Luau on Kauai”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The setting is lovely, intimate, and right on the beach. Decor is delightful, using the flowers and leaves of the island. The maitais are amazing!! I loved the fact that the venue was so family-oriented, there were happy families and children - and they were kept entertained , as were we, by a constant show of lovely dancing ladies, and the stunning host/dancer, who later announced that the dancers were his daughters, and the drummer was his wife. They are an exceptionally talented family, and the show was truly spectacular, especially the firedancing.
The food for the luau was traditional, plentiful, beautifully presented and excellent. I have been to a number of luaus on Kauai, and this was definitely the best. The St Regis luau was nowhere near as good as this. I would heartily recommend Hanalei Gourmet luau - yes it's a little off the beaten track, but it is so well worth it.
None of the luau cliches were present , no pushing crowds round the buffet, no coconut bras, no ghastly massproduced food. This was a classy evening out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

In Hanalei Center.Lage. menu. My husband had unpeeled shrimp and mussels in a garlicky and creamy butter sauce which he said were excellent. I had roast chicken in Gorganzola cheese and macadamia nuts. Verycrunchy and tasty with garlic mashed potatoes and very well done.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hanalei Gourmet has the freshest food we found on the island. After days of soggy salads/coleslaw, stale croutons, bottled tarter sauce, we were delighted with their crisp, uncomplicated, good food. Thank you Hanalei Gourmet.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We've eaten here several times and have always enjoyed our visit.This time my husband had the fish taco platter, which was great value at $11.95 and I had a large Asian chicken salad for about the same. Good variety of beer but make sure you sit inside as they can't serve beer on the public right of way outside. Sometimes they have music and they stay open a little later than other places in sleepy Hanelei.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stopped in for lunch. We had fish sandwich and fish and chips.
Everything was fine, food was good. It was an adequate lunch.
Another tourist said they were eating there every night, so we tried it.
I can't say I would go out of my way to go there, but certainly fit the bill.
Service was very nice.