“Classic north shore bar with surprisingly good food”

Tahiti Nui Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 51 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is classic, historic, and embodies what north shore Kauai is all about. We went on ukelele night and enjoyed the traditional music. Service completely stopped at times when servers got up on stage to dance hula. We had no problem with that, very aloha. The food was surprisingly good. We had pizza, fish, ahi appetizers. My wife says the ahi was the best she's ever had anywhere. And this place sets the standard for a good mai tai.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Wine bar? I didn't see that but the restaurant had a good vibe. We had an interesting bruschetta and some pizza. Just a fun place worth seeing.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I went to Tahiti Nui on the last night of our honeymoon. What a perfect choice! This is NOT a swank restaurant or something for those people who like fine dining- it is, instead, a fun spot for great live music and delicious food/drinks. We ordered Mai Tais (which I'm sure almost every review includes, as they are famous for them) and I got the Ono appetizer (sushi-grade, coated with great seasoning on the outside, comes in a delicious sauce and with sticky white rice). I was very pleased with my meal, and my husband loved his pizza as well.

The best part is the music- two great musicians playing, and they are very interactive with the audience. Unfortunately we just missed their tribute to newlyweds on their honeymoon (played a song where they asked all newlyweds to stand up and dance) but I did get to embarrass my husband a lot when they asked about birthdays and he had to stand up in front of everyone and dance :) Score!

1  Thank Jessie L
Reviewed July 10, 2013

After a great day touring the garden island of Kauai, we decided to head to Hanalei for dinner and drinks at the "Descendants" stop on Kauai Tahiti Nui. A light rain moved us inside instead of on the outdoor deck, but the atmosphere of live music, pictures of past and famous guests and hula dancing servers and bartenders made for a fun and relaxing meal. Both couples ordered pizza and despite the price (come to expect this everywhere in Hawaii) found both to be very good, with ample toppings, on a crust that was crispy on the bottom and perfectly chewy on the edges.
We ordered the meat special sausage, pepperoni, onions, green olives and mushrooms, while our friends tried the Hawaiian pizza. Service was very good considering there were just two servers and the place was packed. Oh, the Mai Tais the menu states right up front..."Mai Tai Roe Ae" Tahitiian for "out of this world the best". My first sip confirmed that statement, this was by far the best Mai Tai I had ever tasted and my wife agreed. We've "sampled" Mai Tais in several Hawaiian restaurants and bars, as well as several mainland establishments and none compared. Tahiti Nui came through for atmosphere, food and Mai Tais!!!

1  Thank larytaz
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The four of us got 2 large salads and split a large (all meat) pizza which was delicious. Look up the waterfall on the mts. and people-watch in Hanalei Town.