“The food, mai tais , music and service by Jay make this a great experience.”

Tahiti Nui Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 53 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Hawaiian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We are in the hospitality business and really appreciate great food and service. This restaurant really delivers. Both times we ate here we had Jay attending to us;
What a hard worker and kind person!
The Pork ribs and Pizza are
Fantastic, as are the Mai Tais!
We've eaten all over the island,
and for a casual ambience this is the best!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I went here for lunch on a Monday afternoon (4/29/13). We have been here before and enjoyed ourselves so we thought we would try it again. The atmosphere was upbeat and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The place was about half to three-quarters full. Not too busy.

Ordered off the lunch menu. We ordered a hamburger for $12. Added cheese for an extra dollar and bacon for two more dollars. Now the burger (with fries) is costing $15 but that's okay we are in Hanalei on vacation so no big deal.

So we sat there and enjoyed the atmosphere and our iced teas and waited for our food. And waited. And waited. And waited. After an hour, we asked about our food since we noticed people who had arrived after us being served their food. The very nice waiter told us that the burger was most definitely on its way. So we waited. And waited some more.

Finally, about an hour and 25 minutes in, our food arrived. Yea! We start eating our burger which is quite good at least partly due to the fact that we are starving! Well, about a quarter of the way through, we notice that the burger does not have any cheese on it. Being too hungry to send it back, we eat it all up.

So after we finally get the waiter to give us the check (another 10 minutes at least), I mention to him that the burger that we waited so long for did not have any cheese on it. He apologizes and hands me my check which clearly states that I am paying an extra dollar for cheese on my $15 burger! Oh well.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

A recent review I read referred to "The Descendants" being filmed in this bar and the review was less than glowing. I think the reviewer from British Columbia may have spent too much time under a cold drizzle, reducing their capacity to appreciate the fine commercial art of being a "local bar" which is what Tahiti Nui is.

This bar is utterly unpretentious. It offers decent, reasonably priced food and a kickin' mai-tai. If it suffers from anything, it's likely the romantic, but often unrealistic, expectations of mainland movie-goers. We found the staff to be super friendly and the slide key guitarists delivered soothing, fun, authentic music. It's real, not Hollywood.

When you travel, often as not, you get what you give. Give a little on attitude, be open and genuine, and you'll get a world of fun in return. At least 9 times out of 10.

Mahalo, Tahiti Nui. You rock!

1  Thank Ideas2Art
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We heard about this place for a long time before going to Kaua'i.....and it was amazing. You get the best mai-tai on the island and the food was exquisite! We were also lucky to enjoy Michael Keale's live hawaiian music and the atmosphere is friendly and relaxing! A great hang out!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you've read some of my previous reviews you may have seen my raves of several high end joints like Spago, Hawkesworth (Vancouver), and others. Tahiti Nui is not one of those fancy and pricey destinations - but it is impossibly authentic and every bit as satisfying, even more.

My only reluctance "going public" with my raves for Tahiti Nui is that I'd hate to see it turn into a crammed tourist bar. Maybe this place is best left a secret. Right now, it's perfect - a mix of locals and enlightened tourists, great live music, the best staff you can imagine (we loved laughing and chatting with you, Darcelle, Mia, Julia; you made our Hanalei nights out extra special), great pizza piping hot, and mai tais that lure you back.

If I could transport myself instantly to a bar stool on a Thursday after work to hang with friends, this is my place. Beau Bridges called Tahiti Nui a "lengendary hang". I love that authentic tiki bars like Tahiti Nui still exist - and I guess you have to fly to paradise to experience them.

1  Thank thirty-something72