“Great Food Inside - Outside Has Declined”
Review of Hanalei Dolphin

Hanalei Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 58 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This used to be our favorite place for lunch - eating on a beautiful lawn by the river with great service and food. Last visit we took 10 family members and everyone was disappointed. The fresh fish sandwiches were burned, tiny piece of fish, bun stale, cold onion rings, too much onion on the poke and fake iced tea from a machine. They used to do better and easily could improve. We returned later in the week for dinner inside and had a great meal - but lunch left us feeling used.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (3,031)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had the fresh catch of the day, Ono. My wife and a friend had two of the chicken dishes. They were all horribly overcooked. The Ono had the texture of canned tuna and the chicken was close to jerky.

Sorry we wasted our last dinner here.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We love eating at Dolphin when ever we visit Kauai. It is conveniently located and has parking in front as well as in the rear.

The food is wonderful. The food is a bit pricey, but worth the cost. We always eat there when visiting Manalei, Kauai. I love their fish or shrimp tacos as well as many other items.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Very rude hostess and the fish was so over cooked it was inedible. Terrible dining experience. And we had to wait an hour for our terrible meal.

Reviewed September 11, 2019

We do not go out to eat too often. My sister and niece were visiting us from Indiana and wanted to celebrate my husband’s birthday. When we go out to eat, we like to eat at Dolphin’s because of the good foods. Unfortunately this time we did not enjoyed our dinner unfortunately. We’re seated inside and in front of the open kitchen where three line cooks worked. My sister and I ordered Hapa Chickens, my husband fried squid, and my niece a filet mignon and fried shrimp. I saw none of cooks wearing gloves, which is required by the health department. A grill person had many meats cooking, but he kept texting cell phone as if nobody was watching . Of course grilled chicken were cooked charred and tough and my niece’s filet mignon came as medium well when she ordered it medium rare as I expected this would happen because he was too busy texting instead of paying attention to his meats. As being a chef myself, I could have fired him and I will make all cooks to wear the gloves . What a shame it was to dine, we are not sure if we will go back to dine again or not.