“Fish Market Fail”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
san diego
“Fish Market Fail”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have been staying in Hanalei off and on for over 20 years. I'm not sure what has happened to the Fish Market, but we will never buy our fish from them again. We used to love driving to the market every afternoon to pick up some "fresh" Ahi and any other "fresh" fish for our evening dinner. Our second night we arrived at the familiar market with sticker shock of the price of the fish. $30.99 a pound for Ono and $36 a pound for the Ahi. After spending over $40 we went home and sliced the Ahi. Horrible, not sashimi grade at all, tough and fishy tasting, ended up throwing most of it away. Then proceeded to grill the Ono. Another disappointment, fishy. We since found two other fresh fish markets on the island. The fish market across from the Wal Mart charged us $10.99 a pound for super fresh Ono and it was yummy!! There is another market in the "new" shopping plaza near Poipu that also served fresh fish for a very reasonable price. Visited April 2014!

• Visited April 2014

Hana, Hawaii
“ALOHA FRESH FISH”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I enjoyed the fish here it tasted so good the servers made us feel so welcome and you know some time in Hawaii some servers don't really want to be ther and don't care if your meal is good or not but not her every thing was perfect sat down enjoyed talking to the server we like to travel around the island and see a lot this restrant really dose it right.

Visited February 2014
Frisco, TX
“First fish on the trip”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My first 24 hours on Kauai was a whirlwind that included little sleep, and two rounds of golf. I had selected this spot as I figured I had to have one seafood based meal. I got here a little before dusk, and luckily got the last real parking spot. Wait for table for two was no problem, and we were seated right near the entrance. Started off with a Mai Tai which was very good. The waitress rattled off the fish choices. I wasn't feeling to adventurous so went with some sushi. The shrimp tempura roll and U-Megan-me-crazy (shrimp and tuna) were both very tasty (and got both for about $10 than the $34 market price of fish).

I have to give a low rating to our waitress. Never got that refill of water (wouldn't need it if the glasses weren't maybe 8 oz). We didn't see her for a long time after she brought the check. She came by and grabbed it with a small apology. Now, I have never worked in the service industry, but it seems to me that if you left someone hanging, you'd double-time it to take care of the mistake. Nope: Another too long wait, followed by a pseudo-apology about not feeling well, and going to probably be sent home. If that was the case, I think someone else could have helped. Needless to say, the server got maybe 10%. To Insure Proper Service.

Again, food was good, and as we left, there wasn't much room for cars. I say, try to South Shore spot if you are nearby: More parking, and fewer one-lane bridges

• Visited March 2014
Tampa, FL
“Okay food and visit.”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by another group of visitors to Kauai. We were just down the street and hungry so we stopped in. The filet mignon sandwich was good - it was on a Torta Bread bun from Costco (I know, we buy them at home). My husband had the fish and chips - and the fish was Ono - little different but okay. Nice views.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank TampaTraveler2007
Minnesota
“Limited Restaurants Boost Perception”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

In Hanalei, there are a few places for "finer dining" - and I presume the Dolphin fits this category to a degree. Wife had King Crab which she enjoyed, we shared the yellowtail kama - which was cheek meat (a little fishy - no pun intended). The scallop sushi were as expected and we both had the clam chowder which was the best thing we had. My entree was the Dolphin Shrimp - which included 6 shrimp the size of my pinky for $22. and the taste was less that what I expected for something named after the restaurant. While I know we were in Hawaii were everything is more $$. But for $155 for 2 I iike to leave a bit more satisfied...we did have a great table and this place was not hurting for patrons as we had a 40 minute wait...

• Visited March 2014