“Long wait for average food”
Review of Hanalei Dolphin

Hanalei Dolphin
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We ate there this past weekend and will never go back. One hour and forty five minutes start to finish and I got my meal at the hour and a half mark. We were seated after a twenty minute wait and then waited 10-15 more minutes to receive our drinks. I can say that the edamame they brought while we were waiting was yummy. Both ordered lobster which then took about 20-30 minutes. Both entrees were cold. I doubt mine was cooked to completion. The meat inside was mushy. Gross. Then the manager made me something else since I sent mine back (hubby's was cooked all the way thru but cold). Took another 20 minutes, maybe a bit less. I gobbled down the entree because by then I was starving and we left as soon as possible. It was an expensive meal but honestly, my husband can grill a tastier meal on our backyard grill. The manager handled the situation very well by removing the lobster from the bill. The waitress (slow service) was apologetic but we didn't get the meal or the service we paid for. It sounds like you need to sit at the sushi bar and order sushi together a good meal here.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We ate at the Dolphin twice. The first time in the regualr restaurant. The food was good but we weren't overwhelmed with the menu. I ordered the ahi and asked that it be seared. It arrived barely medium rare. The waiter returned the ahi to the kitchen and brought me a freshly seared piece of tuna that was delicious. Service is very fast, almost too fast. We were in and out in an hour. The 2nd time we ate in the sushi bar. The space is very cramped and the tables quite small. I would advise eating out on the porch or at the bar instead. The sushi was excellent, although very expensive. Prices were at least double what we pay stateside, although the rolls were larger and the amount of sushi in each roll was plentiful.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our party of 6 was hungry for some good fish and we definitely found it here. Service was exceptional and we had a short wait for a table. It's a bit pricey (about $42/person with tip and no drinks) but you get what you pay for.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We actually stopped here during a kayak ride up the Hanalei River. There is a small docking area we parked the canoe and enjoyed a nice lunch on the outdoor grass seating area. The Ahi was excellent and good environment for food.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband had the shrimp tacos and concurs they were top notch. We sat at the tables on the lawn and watched the kayakers go by. One couple even pulled their kayak up on the lawn and had lunch. Meal included two large tacos with greens, plus equally fresh salsa and guacamole. I would get these again in a minute. By now every reader knows nothing is cheap in Hawaii. Even so, we may return for the more expensive dinner meal and more expansive menu.