“Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Good food reasonably priced.Island decor enhanced my feeling of and island vacation.Had dinner with family on 2 evenings.would go back

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The place was packed and I had high expectations Service was slow, but it was busy. I ordered the shrimp and beef tenderloins combo ($46) The shrimp was great, THE BEEF IS NOT LOCAL! Burnt on the outside and mushy on the inside. I am from Texas and I know my beef and it is frozen. At the end of my meal I asked the waitress if the beef was local and she told me they sell local beef in the market behind the restaurant, but the beef served was not local (frozen) such a shame for how much I spent. My wife ordered rainbow poke that had a few ingredients included that were not listed on the menu and made it taste exactly like onions... even the fresh fish could not make up for the taste. We sent it back and the waitress did take it off of the bill but it took her over 15 minutes to bring a menu over to order something else. By that time we had already been in the restaurant over 90 minutes and we just decided to leave. It took her another 15 minutes to bring us the bill and then it wasn't correct.

1  Thank Jose C
Reviewed October 1, 2012

On our last night in Kauai, my wife and went to the Hanalei Dolphin for sushi. The sushi that we had was fantastic, incredibly fresh and chock full of tasty fish. The sushi was definitely better than the sushi we had at Makana Terrace at the St. Regis; the St. Regis may have the view, but the sushi pales sin comparison to the Dolphin!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hanalei Dolphin has great sushi and a really fun atmosphere. It gets very busy though and they don't take reservations unfortunately. If you're only a few people, you can sit at the sushi bar.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We are frequent visitors to Kauai, and have eaten many times over the years at Hanalei Dolphin, and it has been one of our favorites. Known for great local fish and terrific service. Well, last night was none of the above. Menu had changed, as well as ownership! Waiter was very indifferent, not on top of his customers! My wife ordered one of the fresh fish, she had asked for a flakey and moist fish, turned out so dry it was totally indelible, and for $32 entree only, expected a lot more. Waiter asked how dinner was, so my wife told him, he said he would have to get the assistant manager, well he didn't feel it was worth talking to her, however did offer her fish complimentary. My Hawaiin chicken was OK! Scratch this from our local favorites!