“Terrible”

Bouchons
Ranked #17 of 47 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Our relaxed and spacious second story, open-air restaurant has a great ambiance and best picture taking views of Hanalei's mountains and waterfalls. Visitors and locals come time and time again for Bouchon's Pacific-American menu that's filled with a great selection of fresh homemade pupus, local caught seafood, teriyaki chicken, ribs and a premier sushi bar second to none. The famous Copper Bar serves up everything from soft drinks to Saki, including our very popular Mai-Tai. Located in the heart of Hanalei, we have the perfect gathering place to enjoy with family and friends.
“Terrible”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Horrible. Overpriced poorly prepared food with bad service. We went out of our way to tell people that were waiting for a table to go elsewhere. They were grateful.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Chroic
jedward84, Owner at Bouchons, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Your review is mean-spirited and utterly false.
None of this is true and or believable,
You did not visit our restaurant. No customer would ever write such
a comment as vague as this one.

Woodland, California
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We decided to eat here after a long day of traveling. My wifes salad was good, but my fish and chips were not, especially when they are their "famous" ones... can't figure that out. 3 pieces of soggy fish about the size of a spring rolls, (were not cooked well), and some out of the bag fries. Go figure. Our waiter disappeared alot and my beer was on the bar getting warm for quite a while before it was delivered. The tables next to us had great attention from their waiter, but not us. I even looked around for him a couple of times.

The weird part happened when we paid our bill. The waiter dug in his pants to make change instead of coming back with it and shorted me $10, then disappeared. I had to ask the waiter at the other table to get him and when he walked up, he said oh ya, I owe you $10 like he knew he did it and surely didn't say anything to me before.

It does have a nice view, but cannot recommend it after this experience.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank BobJ268
jedward84, Owner at Bouchons, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Bob, It's a shame that you and your wife didn't receive the excellent service that we're capable of providing. When did you come to visit us? I want to be able to get everything squared away with my staff. It's important to me that we maintain an inviting, yet professional environment, and great service plays a large role in that.

As far as your food goes, I wish we would have known your thoughts at the time so that we could've taken care of things for you. Please know that like all of our food, our fried are fresh, and are not "out-of-the-bag."

I understand that it's hard to look past a poor experience. However, I plan to put your feedback to good use, and I hope that you're able to join us down the line to witness that.

Take care,
Coto de Caza, California
“Great Relaxing Dinner in Hanalei”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location is great and easy to find, with a view that is so relaxing. My wife and I had Ahi and scallops, and my 12 year old son had a meat dish. The food and service was very good, our waiter was Michael and he took alot time with us and each guest at other tables and made them feel welcome. I don't drink, but the bar area looked very cool and upscale. They also have a nice sushi bar with a couple of chefs.The whole night was very relaxing. I can't wait to go back next year.

• Visited August 2013
jedward84, Owner at Bouchons, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Comments like these make our day over here, thanks for sharing, Henry! A relaxing, enjoyable night is exactly what we aim to provide all of our guests. I'll make sure Michael sees your message, too — he'll appreciate this nice dose of encouragement. Please do come back and see us next year!

Until then,
New York City, New York
“Not very good”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The service was terribly slow. My husband and I each had an entree. He had steak that was very tough. I had a good wahoo fish meal. We had wine with dinner and then an after dinner drink. It took almost two hours from start to finish. We were on vacation and in the aloha spirit but it was hard not to feel a bit frustrated. The restaurant was short staffed. The help seemed disorganized. We wouldn't go back.

Visited August 2013
Thank Ms. Beth M
jedward84, Owner at Bouchons, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
As you can imagine, it's upsetting that we fell short. Above all, we want you to feel taken care of, so it's shame that our staff was spread thin when you visited. Additionally, I'm disappointed that your Husband's steak was a let down. Did you mention it to your server? We are always more than willing to cook up another one when this is the case. Our kitchen staff is great, and our ingredients are fresh and high quality, so I know we have what it takes to provide a tasty steak dish. I know first impressions are hard to shake, but I encourage you to offer us a second chance down the line.

Alamo, California
“Mid range restaurant in good location”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

4 of us had dinner at 7.15 p.m. after a long day in Waimea Canyon. Airy 2nd floor wide open to terrace in downtown Hanalei. Mid range price for Kauai, $25 an entree. 2 of us had the sesame seed encrusted seared ahi tuna on a bed of greens with a soy drizzle. at all. Thumbs up. One had seafood brochette. Over cooked. and my wife had the seafood Hanalei scallops, ono and shrimp. Meh, not world class. Hey, you get what you pay for. If you want 4 star go to Postcards Cafe. And pay $45 for a truly excellent dinner entree. Bouchons atmosphere and feel is very nice, and the service was excellent.

Visited September 2013
jedward84, Owner at Bouchons, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
It's great to hear that you enjoyed the sesame seed encrusted seared ahi tuna, but I'm disappointed that the feelings were not the same for all that you ordered. I appreciate your honesty, Bob. Did your friend let your server know about their seafood brochette? We would have been more than happy to get it tasting just right. I'm glad that you were impressed by our atmosphere and service. Our staff works hard over here, so they will enjoy this nice dose of encouragement!

Take care,