“Good but not amazing food, friendly service”

Chicken In A Barrel BBQ
Ranked #5 of 50 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After reading some really good reviews online and in our guidebook, we stopped at the Hanalei location for a quick lunch. My husband and I each had a chicken burrito and we shared a side of chili beans and an order of fries. The young woman taking orders at the counter was very sweet, friendly and patient as we debated what to order.

The food was up pretty quickly which was nice. The burritos were good and satisfying, but nothing to write home about. In hindsight would love to have tried the chicken on its own. The chili beans were nothing special, but the fries were fresh and hot. They went really nicely with their homemade barbecue sauces. We tried the regular and hot (which wasn't really hot) and they were good. We sat inside, but there was indoor or outdoor seating.

We saw posters for live music at the Hanalei location which might be fun if you are staying in the area. Overall, it was good, but not amazing.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I review Chicken in the Barrel the other day in its Kapaa location. I was pleasantly surprise to find another one in Hanalei at the Ching Young Village shopping center.

If course I had to order again my favorite, the #1 Chicken plate, of course. I found that the chili side here is very hearty in
itself with chunks if ground beef, thick pieces of bacon in a stewed tomato sauce. It actually is more of a soup than thick chili. The chicken was great and my wife tried a salad with shredded chicken that she liked.
They also give you a generous scoop of brown rice.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We all loved the food ... kids are chicken fans, adults are vegetarian -- but they had plenty on the menu for us too ... one of the few places open late and they gladly serve latecomers.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The chicken was fantastic, but everything else (we got the sampler) was just so-so. We did enjoy the macadamia nut ice cream, though!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Chicken is the item to get. I was not crazy about the ribs or the sides, but the chicken was some of the best I have ever had. Nice seating area, good for people watching outside in Hanalei. The gentleman making the food in the back was really friendly and made nice conversation while we were waiting for our plates.