“Just the perfect amount of time and just the perfect tour for a sea sick prone person.”

Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Ranked #2 of 20 Tours in Hanalei
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Na Pali Coast Hanalei Tours has been exploring the Na Pali since 1974. Begin your Na Pali Coast adventure from the beautiful and romantic Hanalei Bay. Let us share old Hawaii with you through stories and legends, enriching your overall tour experience. The Na Pali Coast is only 12-15 minutes from Hanalei, making this the fastest way to the fun. Experience the "UFO" the limousine of the catamaran fleet - a sleek, fast, stable and dry 28 foot power catamaran. Explore secluded beaches, ancient Hawaiian sites, tropical reefs, majestic valleys, sea caves and thousand-foot waterfalls. See where movies like South Pacific, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Descendent and many more were filmed. We offer 3 tours per day 7 days a week 2 snorkel tours with lunch and snacks and drinks and the only sunset tour on the north shore! Our tours are 4 hours for the snorkel tours and 2 hours with no snorkeling for sunset.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had been dreading this tour since i am prone to being sea sick. I was orginally booked with another company to leave from the Southern part of Kauai but changed my mind and decided to leave from Hanalei instead. It was well worth the drive-all 1 1/2 hrs of it from Poipu. I had read about how rough the waters can get, so I was not taking any chances even though I was going in the in the summer-at a time when waters are suppose to be calmer. I took the sea sick meds the night before and additional ginger capsules the next morning-just in case. As a back up, I had my sea bands on me and it worked like a charm. It helped that we had a beautiful day with flat seas as well. It does not take a lot to get my sea sickness going but I didn't feel a thing and threw my initial dread out the window.

The drive was scenic and traffic was not too bad since we had to check in at 7.30am for the 8am tour. So we missed the heavy traffic. The office was not too easy to find since there was no road signs but it's right before Ching Young village in the little strip mall.

Once we were signed in and weighed in, we were taken to the catamaran where we had to wade into the water to get into the boat. There is no fancy pier or dock, so bring your flip flops and be dressed appropriately. The captain and staff were very helpful and wonderful.

The ride going out was was smooth. We lucked out with the gorgeous weather and no one got sea sick but even if they did, the crew was well prepared. The scenery was spectacular and staff was informative during their narration.

The snorkeling was ok. There were fishes but we were limited as to where we could swim. However we chose this tour for the napali coast not for the snorkeling, hence we didn't have any complains. There were random turtles but we didn't see any dolphins. Since we can't control nature and cue the dolphin appearances, the sightings are not guaranteed.

The lunch was delicious and the amount of time allotted for this tour was perfect for someone like me. It was enough to see the sights, enter some sea caves and do some quick snorkeling. Just be aware that there are no bathrooms on the boat. The ride back was fast and felt like a fun roller coaster ride. The captain navigated the water and the swells well, so bouncing on the waves felt smooth and we did get some wet sprays but no one minded that at all.

I could not have picked a better company to do this tour with. It was just enough time to keep things interesting without dragging it out to justify the cost of the tour.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank burrflies8

• Korean first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best Napali Coast trip I ever took!!!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been on 3 Napali Coast tours. This one is the best by far. Going into the caves was AWESOME. The Captain and crew were also the best. They were very knowledable about the area and handled the boat very well. We were served very large sandwiches, chips and plenty of softdrinks and water. I would rate this trip a 10 out of 10!

Visited June 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Skillful captain, knowledgeable and entertaining crew, couldn't ask for a better tour. Seas were too big to get us into any caves, but we did get up close and personal with a few. We did the sunset tour, and it was awesome. I cannot recommend this company highly enough.

los angeles, california
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Gorgeous tour, great small company”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a great time on this tour of the Napali Coast. The boat was on the smaller side and fit approximately 14 passengers comfortably. There are just a couple of seats in the shade and we were grateful to sit in these for the 4 sunny hours.
The ride out to the Napali Coast was rather choppy and although I tend to not have problems on boats, I felt intensely seasick. The rest of the passengers seemed fine however, including my husband who had the good judgement to put on a scopolamine patch hours beforehand.
The captain maneuvered well into various caves and was able to bring the boat right up to several waterfalls which were spectacular.
The captain and crew were professional, friendly, offered to take photos for us, and were very knowledgeable about local history and filled us in on cultural and historical detail periodically through the trip.
The snorkeling was not the greatest but we had already heard that before our trip. It was still refreshing to jump in the water and the real view was overhead with the magnificent peaks.
The sandwiches for lunch were surprisingly good and chips/cookies/sodas were plentiful.
The ride back to Hanalei was an adventure but going against the current cured my seasickness. We were very impressed with how well the boat handled.
All in all, we were very happy we chose this small family-run company (the gal at the reservations desk told us her grandfather built the boat!).
Remember to tip the captain/crew!

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Experienced captain, but not good judgement about taking us out in 10-12ft swells”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Yesterday evening we went out with Napali Coast Hanalei Tours. We were advised to call an hour before tour to see if we would be going based on weather & seas. The last few days there have been showers in the area & waves have been large, but we were relying on the wisdom & discernment of the captain & crew to advise us on if we should go out for sunset cruise or not. Upon calling we were told the tour was a go.
Let me say that we were a group of 7, my parents in their 60's, 3 children (ages 8, 6 & 5) and my husband & myself. All of us are used to being out on the water as we are from the Texas coast.We also knew it would be a rough ride out & back(I'm giving all this info. to let reviewers know that we knew the details & possibilities the trip posed). We had booked a couple of weeks in advance & they were aware we were going with young children & their grandparents.
Ok, so we went out & the seas were 10-12ft, we slowed down a few times to see some sea caves & the beautiful cliffs, but couldn't stop for long due to how rough it was. There was NOT ONE other sunset cruise of the Napali Coast out on the water, NOT ONE...so one can only assume they had all been canceled.
Here is the bottom line, they should have canceled the trip! We had been looking so forward to the #1 thing to see in Kauai, the Napali Coast, and we did see it, but we had been beat to death on the 2hour trip there & back. The crew was very nice & obviously very experienced because the captain knew how to handle these types of seas. The Napali Coast was a site to behold. BUT, we paid $1000 to go on a roller coaster ride to see it, it was not experience we would call enjoyable.
My rating is a three because everyone was very nice, the captain & crew were kind & experienced, the boat itself was in good condition, the Napali Coast was beautiful & because we got there & back safely. -2 stars for lack of wisdom & discernment for taking us on a tour that should have been canceled, as it is obvious (because of not seeing any other boats) that all other companies did. We wish they would have canceled & asked us to reschedule for a morning or afternoon that weather & seas were more favorable. As tourist we rely on the judgement of these crews to know when we should or shouldn't be out on the water, looks like other tours had better judgement yesterday evening.

3 Thank fitay