“Awesome family adventure”

Malama Ke Kai - Reef Guides Hawaii
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Truly unique shore-based reef snorkel explorations on Kauai's North Shore (in summer) and South Shore (in winter). Private & semi-private tours and group explorations led by master guides with a focus on fun, for an exciting, authentic eco-based ocean reef experience. Tours are from 2-1/2 - 4 hours, tailored to our guests, and include all snorkel gear. Tours can include snorkel lesson, interactive presentations, participation in fish counts and identification, and catered lunch.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Took personal tour with Steve for our first snorkelling trip out and it was a blast. I researched many others but in the end it is always the personal connection that needs to click for me to make a decision, and that's what happened. Steve's background, experience and fantastic attitude made this unforgettable experience for all of us. You can hear passion in his voice and see it in his face. His involvement in protecting the reef is worth your support by the way.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Steven and Selena are excellent guides. They are genuinely interested in making your snorkeling experience a good one. Steven's slide show of marine life was informative and made it fun to try and find all the fish and coral he talked about. Both Steven and Selena were friendly, knowledgeable, and kind people! I had never snorkeled before and was a bit anxious about it. They took that anxiety away, provided good snorkeling how-to instruction, including how to use the equipment properly. The equipment was top quality, which made the experience even better. We saw beautiful fish, coral and lots of turtles (my favorite!). I enjoyed this experience so much that I bought the equipment and am already planning my next snorkeling trip! I highly recommend Malama Ke Kai! Steven and Selena were great!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I loved this.

Snorkeling is one of my very favorite things to do and this tour was the best snorkel trip I've done.

Our guide, Steven has a degree in marine biology, so is very knowledgeable about everything you see while you are out. He also seems to be just as excited about the expedition as you are, which is a great in a guide. We brought out 7 and 9 year old with us, who he took time to answer any and all questions they had.

We met up at the pool at the St. Regis for an orientation and to get kitted out. Good snorkeling masks, wet suits for the kids and rash guards for the adults. Before heading out we learned about all the fish and reefs we would likely see and were given waterproof cards with pictures and names of the native fish as reference you can bring along for the snorkel. I was the only one that brought one and loved having it.

When we set out he also brought along what looked like huge wave/boogie board that he towed along and an underwater camera.

We were all experienced snorkelers, but I have no doubt that Steven could get you up to speed and snorkeling within minutes if you've never done it before.

We saw fantastic fish within moments and before we knew it we were WAY far out in the bay, but still felt completely safe. We saw sea turtles in the first 15 minutes out and a few more there after. Eventually the kids got tired and lazed around on the huge wave board until we decided to head in.

All around a fantastic time. We can't wait to get the photos from it.

1  Thank Schweee
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Because my family gets seasick easily, we chose Reef Guides-Malama Ke Kai as they swim from shore. We still got a little nausea from the big waves, but being able to rest on the big floating platform our guide brought out helped.

We stayed on the Princeville side but with Steve's directions, we easily found our meeting place in Poipu.

After a thorough introduction of our snorkel equipment and instructions while in the ocean, we walked to the "beach" and walked down between the rocks into the ocean. We took the 2-hr turtle tour and it was incredible. The green sea turtles rest in this area as well as come to get cleaned by the cleaner fish (beautiful purple/yellow ones). Because they're protected, the turtles have no fear and came up so close we had to back away from accidentally touching them. They're huge. They're beautiful, but even more beautiful were the variety and number of fish we saw. In talking with our guide, Steve, he said where he takes the group for the 4-hr snorkel has even more fish. wow.

We thought the $30 for the CD of pictures was a bit much, but after we got them, it was well worth it. My Kodak disposable underwater camera could not compare with the underwater digital pictures Steve took of us and the turtles/fish.

This is well worth the cost. We had a discount card from our resort, and used it to book directly with Reef Guides. Its a 25% savings.

1  Thank lovetoshop341
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was more than just snorkeling. It was reef education. The guides are knowledgeable, enthusiastic, helpful and polite.

Initially my wife was nervous about snorkeling in the ocean. But felt very safe after the instructruction and helpfulness of the guides. We have snorkeled on several other reefs since then and she is very confident in the ocean now.

This trip is exciting, fun, educational and a good value. Do this!