Open today: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Experienced surf instructor - great for kids and adults

Reviewed January 10, 2017
Shannon B
Houston, Texas
Highlight & Reasonable Price!

Reviewed December 26, 2016
FamTravChP
Portland, Oregon
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 10, 2017

Ethan was a great surf instructor and made sure we had a safe location to learn how to surf. The surf was very high in December, so be patient if you have to move locations to find the ideal beach. It will be worth the extra time. His teaching method is very clear and we were all up on boards very quickly (Mom and two kids aged 12 & 14). Highly recommend Ethan for your Kaua'i surfing adventures.

1  Thank Shannon B
Reviewed December 26, 2016 via mobile

1 adult and 3 girls (Ages 9-10) for first time surfing. Girls were nervous but Ethan put them at east immediately. Focused their attention and within just over 30 minutes, we were out on the water. I was a bit worried but he picked a great location and kids were fine in the 2-3 foot waves and we all left exhausted, happy and excited to go again!

1  Thank FamTravChP
Reviewed September 29, 2016

We used Ethan for both Outrigger and Surfing Lesson. Did not get a free surf lesson with outrigger ride purchase but Ethan was so great did not push the advertising of free surf lesson. We had planned on doing surf lesson anyways. We had never done Outrigger and did not know what to expect wanted something different. We were so glad we did it! Fun, fast and exhilarating. We will do it again with Ethan next time in Kauai. Ethan is very knowledgeable, friendly, laid back but concerned with safety.... one of best instructors I have found. We were so pleased and successful in both outrigger and surfing with Ethan so glad we found him and spent 2 days of our trip with him as our instructor..if had more time in Kauai would of loved to use him more for surfing lessons and sup lessons! He is a gem!!

Reviewed August 29, 2016

I took a lesson in Hanalei about 9 years ago. While I don't recall in depth, I immediately knew Ethan was way better than that other lesson. He simplified it greatly but explained anything more thoroughly that we asked about. He was patient and went out of his way to make sure everyone got as many waves as possible, even towing my 9 year old out after riding to shore.

Ethan is friendly and very knowledgable. I would HIGHLY recommend him!

Reviewed July 26, 2016

Ethan is an amazing teacher. I never thought in my life that I would be able to stand up on a surf board and I was able to get up and surf the whole way to shore on my first try! Ethan is so down to earth and really knows surfing. You can tell he loves his job and wants everyone who comes to him to succeed. He's a great teacher and we really enjoyed our time with him!

Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile

My husband and sons could not have been more pleased with their surfing lesson. Ethan is a fantastic teacher. Very good, thorough and specific instructions. They all were up and surfing soooo quickly. We would highly recommend a lesson with Ethan. Highlight of our trip.

2  Thank Linda K
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

Ethan was excellent! He gave us great, straightforward instruction and my two teenagers and I all got up on the board on our first try! We surfed until we were almost too tired to keep going. Ethan is positive, friendly and all about having an easy and fun time while still getting in ride after ride. It was our first time and the waves were modest but it felt amazing to us! The boards were just right for us too. We got WAY more rides than the surf school out next to us. The views surfing in toward Hanalei beach are like a movie set they're so idyllic! We highly recommend a lesson with Ethan. Ask him his baby boy's name. Best surfer name ever!! Maholo Ethan!

2  Thank dm-familytraveler
Reviewed June 27, 2016 via mobile

Ethan is an awesome teacher!!! Our grandson and granddaughter were up on their first wave. So patient and informative he made the lesson fun and exciting. Highly recommend!

Reviewed May 31, 2016 via mobile

Ethan is awesome! My husband and I had a beginner surf lesson with him this morning and it was the best experience we could've asked for. Ethan made the day fear-free for us! He knows the water better than I knew possible and helped us to have fun, slow down, and just enjoy the morning on the ocean. I would 100%, absolutely recommend him to everyone visiting the island who wants to learn to surf! It was so fun and we will totally call him again next time we're on the island.

Reviewed May 27, 2016 via mobile

My nine year old has begged for surfing lessons for over a year. I randomly googled and found Kauai Outrigger Adventures and Surf Lessons. Ethan Sage is the instructor... I emailed him, he emailed back the same day, called that morning on time. He has a magical way with children. He explains it so well. After reading about him we realized he is a world renowned instructor. He was raised in Hanalei so he knows the area better than a travel guide. Parents spend the money for lessons.. it's a professional, memorable experience! We will be back for lessons next year.