“Luau local style!”
Review of Tahiti Nui

Tahiti Nui
Ranked #3 of 16 Shopping in Hanalei
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We wanted a luau experience that did not involve exorbitant charges/Hollywood staging/busloads of tourists. We wanted some island aloha, an intimate setting and an authentic experience. We got it at Tahiti Nui. Every Wednesday evening they transform their event room, roast a pig in the imu out back, pour the mai tais and welcome you into the ohana. The meal was great, with many traditional foods (disclaimer - we lived on the island years ago so we know about this stuff), and the show was wonderful - high energy musicians and graceful dancers doing Hawaiian and Tahitian, classic and more modern. Small stage, big smiles, very reasonable cost! This is a multi-generational family business. Bring your multi-generational family! Don't do "big box" luau - support the local economy, meet some interesting visitors, catch some real luau spirit, and then go take a walk on Hanalei Beach in the moonlight, or hang around to hear some more music in the bar!

3  Thank Hiljet
There are newer reviews for Tahiti Nui

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Now famous for its appearance in the movie 'The Descendents', this small little alcoholic haven has definitely found its way on the map. Sitting at the far end of the main street in Hanalei you will find very friendly people with friendly smiles sitting both inside and out 'drinking' in the major atmosphere that this little bohemian bar has to offer. Just next door to it is a little store that sells t-shirts with the Tahiti Nui emblem so that you can take it back home as a reminder of your visit to the bar with friendly smiles and happy memories.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was at least our 6th visit to Hawaii and probably the 3rd or 4th luau that we have attended. I am not usually enthusiastic about luau's as we tend to be the type of independent travelers who don't participate in large, highly produced activities. We decided to attend this luau because we were staying in Hanalei and really didn't have anything else to do that night. We (my husband and 20 something son) were all glad that we made that decision. Here are 3 reasons that I recommend this luau:
1) The food is delicious and bountiful. The kalua pork, the lomi salmon the desserts and all the other food was fresh, hot, tasty and definitely NOT a standard banquet meal. I would attend this event just to eat the food again. Given the location in Hanalei, the price was good value for the food alone.
2) The atmosphere is authentic and full of aloha. This is a family run event that feels like you stumbled across a luau at a church basement (the type of church that just happens to serve numerous mai tai's). I didn't count the number of seats but I suspect that there were somewhere between 100-150 people at this luau - really intimate for this type of event.
3) The band was really good - and I don't think that I have ever said this about a luau band before. I would have bought a CD if one was available. The dancing was fine, not highly produced but good enough. I really like the inclusion of the little dancer, it was right in line with the overall atmosphere of the event.
I hope that they don't change this event and try to make it slicker...we liked it just the way it is.

2  Thank MackinacGal
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Prior to our visit we read a few reviews that suggested tourists weren't treated as well as locals here. That was not the case for us. We had an amazing time! The bar was packed and had great energy. It was St. Patty's day and they had an excellent Irish musician playing great Irish tunes that had some people dancing. We had pizza, ribs and Ono and everything was very good. The Mai tai's were great! This definitely isn't a quiet romantic spot, and when they are busy they will ask you to go to the bar after you are done with your meals so they can seat new guests which is understandable considering the small size of the bar and the unique local experience that's in high demand. The crowd was mixed with tourists and locals of all ages. We are always looking for a good party and this was by far our favorite spot!!

1  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I vacation in Hawaii once or twice a year, therefore believe we are specialists when it comes to mai tais. I am please to say that the mai tais at Tahiti Nui are by FAR the best we have ever had the pleasure of enjoying!! The bartender Nani (and her fiance - Keaki) were both there the afternoon after we finished hiking the Kalalua Trail and we caught the kitchen in between the lunch and dinner switch over so we had to wait to order our food, but no worries the drinks and the staff were all so entertaining and enjoyable to talk to that we ended up waiting for dinner and made some new friends in the process. I can not wait until we return to Kauai and make another trip to Tahiti Nui....MAHALO!!

2  Thank Terri W