“Best Bar on the North Shore - but stick to drinks”
Review of Tahiti Nui

Tahiti Nui
Ranked #3 of 16 Shopping in Hanalei
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Service is abysmal and food is average. Hostess is trying to be funny with her attitude, but its really not. Waiters / waitresses yell at patrons for dancing to the wonderful performers they have every night, who ASK you to dance for them. Mai Tai is definitely solid and beers are cold, which is all you need for a dive bar. Just don't ask it to be more than that. Seems to have gotten too crowded after appearing in The Descendants, which makes it lose some of that charm (young children running around, etc.)

There are newer reviews for Tahiti Nui

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The place looks like a dive bar inside and I'm sure it is at night. The pizza was really good but the service was atrocious.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

It seems hard to find a dive bar in Kauai, but then there was Tahiti Nui and it was a good ambience full of locals and right next to the pizza place. I wasn't a huge fan of the mai tai, but that was my bad because i'm not a huge mai tai person to start with. The beer was good and plentiful as were the happy hour snacks and it was just a nice place to unwind at the end of the day.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

For starters, leave your bling and big city attitudes at the door and try a smile. The locals sit at the bar so, sit at the bar! You'll miss out if you don't. My husband approached a local lady and asked "Is this seat taken?" and got a "That depends - where ya from?" ending with a wicked mischievous laugh and a big smile. Miss "D" was a delight to sit next to as she enjoyed her pau hana Jager shots and conversed with her friends. She knew people where we were from and suddenly we were family. And I do mean the attitudes ALL changed - the bar tender (who is EXCELLENT) gave me my mai tais with a smile and the one they called "Aunty" even said to "Watch out for this one!" with a laugh, pointing at our Miss "D". Finally, we existed. Now the horribly under-rated part: Other reviews (such as that infamous Blue Book we all bought) didn't rate the food very highly. My husband had the BBQ pork ribs and I had the mac crusted ono with rice - this was the BEST meal I had on Kauai. The ribs were spicy and juicy, my ono was cooked perfectly and was still moist. The only thing missing was a vegetable. You could order salad but they also could have thrown on some sauteed veggies for color - I'm just saying. Now the drinks: Those were the BEST Mai Tais on my whole trip! I sampled them on Big Island and throughout Kauai on this trip and these were by far the best I tasted. The band was also excellent - some young local boys with great harmonies and guitar playing. All in all this was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

1  Thank SunSnorkelTan
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Tahiti Nui is a great place to people watch. The waitress was as sweet as can be (and really pretty), the bartender has the eyes of a serial killer (an interesting look for a young woman who probably doesn't break 100 pounds), and on the night we were there, the crowd was geriatric. They were there in support of an older band (and i mean BORN quite a few years ago, i have no idea when the band was formed).

I was with my wife and two kids. We ordered a caprese salad, four cheese, tricolore tortellini alfredo and pizza. My wife and kids drank cokes and water, I had a very nice, amber ale called Hawaii Nui Sunset.

The caprese was good and came in a generous portion with lettuce and a strong vinagrette. The tortellini was almost without flavor, in a soupy alfredo sauce. The pizza was an eclectic mix of incredients, but somewhat overcooked. I pondered whether they intentionally overcooked the crust to make it more interesting, or simply screwed up. Somehow, I ended up believing the pizza was actually better as it came.

All in all, a really nice place to go and see an older Hanalei hangout. But my recommendation would be to drink heavily (the beer is great!) and eat light.