“This is the place to rent in Kauai!”
Review of River Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
River Estate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Orange, CA
“This is the place to rent in Kauai!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the place to rent in Kauai! Great location on the river, great views, great amenities, great decor...The owner was very helpful and the River Estate has everything you could ever need from the music selection to the hot tub on the lanai. The list goes on but this review doesn't. You won't want to leave.

Room Tip: There are two homes to rent, I liked the one with the hot tub best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisOrange_CA

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Covington, Washington, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When searching for where we would stay, my primary hope in renting a house was to be in the 'real' environment. I wanted to really see and hear Hawaii. This did exactly that.
The drive to the Guest House is down a long driveway lined with spectaluarly huge foliage, that I can only describe as prehistoric as I would imagine it. The sound of the rushing river just feet away from the house is soothing beyond belief. The sound of the frogs just after sunset lets you know you really are something tropical and amazing.
The house worked really well for us. We went with another couple and we each had 18 month olds. I worried about being some place that wasn't 'childproof' and my concerns vanished quickly. Though the house is raised up (I don't now what that is called there) and there are stairs to the front door, it was simple to block access for the kids to get outside. If we had wanted to leave the doors open, we knew a quick stop at Walmart for a baby gate for the stairs would have done the trick. Inside, there really wasn't anything they could get into. The only issue was the coffee table, but what child doesn't find a way to get hurt with a coffee table around?!
If you want secluded, tranquil, beautiful, peaceful, wonderful and waterfront, this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Angela K
, Owner at River Estate, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
To Angi and the rest of her party......Mahalo for your kind words. This is what my job is all about. For without feedback it's always a big question mark...Am I doing my job? Did that guest enjoy their time here. What are the things they liked and didn't like? Ah now comes the word "Prehistoric" I love that. Those are Lauhala plants. Thee Hawaiians use the leaves for a number of things like mats for starters. There are a few verities on the property and they are my favorite plant here on Kauai. They were planted where the kings lived and walked in prehistoric Hawaii and of course that means they are all over the North shore of Kauai, right?. To me they will always represent my overall impression of north Kauai if it was to be represented by a single plant. A lot of my specimens were the bushy variety but I trained them into trees. That made the exposed roots grow like that. Completely unique. There is no name for the houses being raised up in the air but it certainly aids in ventilation and maintenance and is required by the county in my area. I hope to see you return and wish you all the best Angi. Mahalo Nui Loa...
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have been staying at River Estate since 2002 at least once and some times several times a year...and it just keeps getting better. I never wonder if I'm missing something by not trying a different place because why mess with paradise? The house is beautiful, spotless and has everything you could want in a home away from home. The setting couldn't be more tranquil, private and beautiful - it is like staying in your own private botanical garden. I defy you to not get a fabulous night's sleep listening to the breeze in the bamboo and the sound of the river. It's the perfect mix of secluded and close to what you want - the beaches and the pleasure of Hanalei Town. Mark is the perfect host and makes sure everything is taken care of - if you want something you don't see (highly unlikely), just ask! As far as I'm concerned, River Estate is the best deal on Kauai...I'm already plotting my next trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank OCIslandGirl
San Francisco
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Our family of 5 adults stayed here over Christmas and just loved it. It's in a secluded spot so it's quiet and private with easy access to Haena beach and others, and the house is on stilts so it feels like a treehouse perched in the canopy. There are no direct beach views but it overlooks a great little river and the beach is just a 5 minute float away. The grounds have a lot of fruit trees, including all-you-can-pick delicious grapefruit!

The rooms are well-kept and very new, with a fully furnished kitchen, screened lanai with hot tub and bbq grill, excellent showers, and just overall very comfortable. Little details are all provided, like a cooler for your day at the beach, bbq grilling tools, beach and bath towels, extra boogey boards and snorkel gear. The bed sheets are super smooth, some of the best sleep we've had in awhile.

Some of our party went hiking the Kalalau Trail for a few days and when they came back, the hot tub was a godsend. The proprietor Mark was really helpful and responsive, he even helped us get a good deal on a car rental, and you can tell he takes care of the place. The hot tub didn't warm up as fast as we would have liked, so give it at least a 4-6 hours, also it only sits 2, maybe 3 people at a time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank T
granada
Reviewed September 16, 2011

River Estate is set back from the main road in a beautifully lush garden and perfectly situated to enjoy what must be one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. We were a family of four and the River House was just what we were looking for. Its location was perfect for us - far away from the hustle and bustle of tourist-land and surrounded by greenery and tropical flowers and fruit-trees. It overlooks a picturesque river (in which we swam) and is within easy reach of Hanelei (shops), Tunnels and Ke'e beaches, not to mention the Kalalau trail.

The house was very clean and well-maintained. Both bathrooms were provided with soap, tissues and fresh towels. The kitchen was well-equipped and easy to use so we were able to eat in when we felt like it. The barbecue was great for grilling fresh fish and the hot-tub on the lanai was a nice touch. The ipod docker was of high quality and the flatscreen TV was huge! The house has beautiful wooden floors and screens on all the windows for protection against mosquitoes - it also has air-conditioning and fans if needed.

We had a very enjoyable stay here. Mark, the owner, was very helpful and informative and was kind enough to allow us to stay extra time the last day as our flight left in the evening. We wouldn´t hesitate to recommend it and plan on coming back soon!! (If only it weren´t so far away)....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tintorettoGranada
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This is the best house / deal on the island, all others pale in comparison. This house was immaculate! Absolutely beautiful! Possessed all the amenities you needed to be comfortable. All that you need to bring is your clothes. Perfect size for a group of 6. The hot tub was fabulous to have on hand after hiking the nearby Kalalau Trail.The property was stunning and very quiet. Loved being here! Planning on coming back many times.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 1Nic
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Sorry for the delay Mark,

The river estate was a great find.
The house was immaculate and had all immenities.
Mark was so helpful with his local knowledge of dining and things to see and do,we felt that we had an advantage over other tourists that are at the mercy of brochures.
Kauai is the best island hands down. The beaches are large and uncrowded and amazing.
There is so much to see and do we were experiencing as much as possible in 5 days and still there is plenty more for next time.
I would recommend hiking the kalalau trail near the end of your stay so you are not sore your whole trip, the first 2 miles are not bad but the next 2.5 to the falls is very rugged and slow but worth it.
After our stay we both know why Mark never left.
It would be a great place to live.
So much better than a hotel or condo unless you like crowds and noise.
Andy & Karin

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank Superwelz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast

Been to River Estate? Share your experiences!