“All These 5 Star Reviews? I WISH I COULD GIVE IT A 10!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kauai ONO 560

Kauai ONO 560
Ranked #16 of 47 Restaurants in Hanalei
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Park City
“All These 5 Star Reviews? I WISH I COULD GIVE IT A 10!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a fabulous meal -- 5 courses served under a tent in communal seating. The four of us couldn't decide which course was the best. Don't laugh -- I'd give it to the salad and I'm not much of a salad eater but I've never tasted greens to fresh -- I felt like they'd been picked minutes before. Justin is an incredible chef -- we'll be going back on our next trip to Kauai. Even if you're on the south shore, take the drive. The entire experience takes about 2 1/2 hours.

• Visited September 2013

Northern California
“Yes, great. Remember, no choices. And don't take no for an answer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Fully booked, said the website. So I phoned. Justin answers, "Hello." I whimpered a bit. OK, he said, text me. You never know, sometimes people cancel. I texted that we'd dump our boil-in-a-bag loco moco in a Hanalei minute and rush over. It worked. We got squoze in at the last moment, and are we glad. Those 22 excellent reviewers have it right. But with fixed menu places (Chez Panisse is another), if you don't happen to like (or be able to eat) the one and only entree, you're out of luck (unless Justin can come up with a substitute, which wouldn't surprise me). Bathrooms at the place next door. Coffee at Starbucks on the way home. A really nice adventure and a splendid five-course dinner.

• Visited August 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great private dinner - Kauai Ono is not to be missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We hired Justin to cater a private dinner for 14 at our rental home while we were on the island. With minimal discussion we gave free reign to Justin to create a multicourse dinner for our group. The food was phenomenal and the service of Justin and Anna was impeccable. They easily adjusted to the pace and schedule of our evening and left the kitchen spotless on their way out. The evenings menu was similar to those posed on his FFF dinners at Kauai Ono which should parallel our experience that evening at our home. I've had the opportunity to eat in some of the best places in the United States and am a good home cook myself and I can't say enough about the quality of the food - perfect in every way. I wanted to go to the FFF dinner later in the week, but our group size and timing just wouldn't allow it. Do yourself a favor and book a reservation, grab some wine (Sav. Blanc, GruVe, Pinot Noir or other food friendly varietals) and enjoy a great evening. The value of the meal exceeds other offerings on the island.

• Visited August 2013
“A magical evening and a must do in Hanalei”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Picnic tables under a tent? You bet! A lovely white tent over beautifully tables set with white tablecloths, banana leaf/candle centerpieces and mason jar glasses. There were tiki torches around the perimeter and a lovely breeze blowing through the tent. Each of the five courses was like a little gift to explore. The very talented chef creates the evening's menu around the freshest local produce from the sunshine markets and the best seafood from the day's catch. I can't remember all the courses, but the highlights were the first course corn with a vinegary chimmichuri and the Ahi tuna over a deliciously dressed kale. It's a bargain at $50 a person and BYOB, so we didn't get soaked by the usual mark up on good wine. Our family of eight (13 - 60+ years) took up a whole table, so we didn't get to meet other diners, but really enjoyed celebrating our daughter's birthday dinner with her family. The servers gave excellent descriptions of each dish and brought each course to the table with flair. The dishes were very creatively prepared and our teenage granddaughters loved the food. Must have reservations in advance.

• Visited July 2013
Newmarket, ON, Canada
“Such a Great Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Kauai Ono offers up a fantastic evening for those looking for something a bit different. In my mind, a great restaurant experience needs to hit the mark on food, service, cost and vibe. Kauai Ono does all that with ease.
The five course, farm to table meal was perfect, both in terms of quality and quantity. Courses came out slowly so you can savour their taste, chat with table mates and enjoy the experience.
Service was efficient and friendly. The is a BYOB restaurant and white wines are chilled for you in an ice filled tub. Staff were more than willing to discuss the dishes served.
Cost, at $50.00 PP, is a bargain considering the quality of food being served and the fact there is only one seating per night.
We loved the atmosphere, sitting inside the beautiful tent and as the sun set. It was refreshingly cool and bug free. The conversations were animated and friendly, with lots of laughter all around. There are four large, 8 person picnic tables under a large white tent. This gives guests an opportunity to chat and that was certainly the case when we were there. What a blast meeting folks from all over. If you are looking for a privacy or prefer not to socialize, Kauai on may not be for you. The chef Justin Smith came out at the end of the evening to talk and even invited us back into the trailer to check things out.
This meal may well have been the restaurant highlight of our two week trip to Kauai. Reservations are absolutely necessary since there are only two seatings per week. Outstanding on all accounts.

• Visited July 2013