“Great Location, perfect for secluded getaway”
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
Drone view towards the beach from over River Estate. 3 Blocks away or paddle down the river and back River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
The entry of River Estate leads you to your own private paradise of peace, quiet and romance.
This is the view from the Guest House lanai. My favorite spot on the property.
The open space between homes offers a nice spot to relax or a get together.
The Riverhouse entry facing the orchard.
The Riverhouse master bedroom has a 1930's solid curly maple bedroom set.
The Riverhouse dining area is just off the living room. Antique table and Koa chairs.
The Riverhouse Living area has luxury Tommy Bahama furniture.
Lanai, Riverhouse - Hot tub, living view through to Kitchen beyond.
Relax and savor the secluded beauty in your 2 person hot tub.
The Riverhouse lanai is enclosed with a hot tub on it. (just out of frame to the right)
Looking from the riverbank towards the Riverhouse. Two bedrooms face it.
Looking towards the Riverhouse past the open orchard.
The Guest House offers complete privacy and an extremely peaceful environment.
The Guest House lanai view is my favorite.
The fully equipped gourmet Guest House Kitchen.
The Guest House living - entertainment area
The Guest House living area is simply elegant.
The Guest House Master Suite. The river sounds lull you to sleep here.
Sit on the Guest House lanai and relax. You're home.....
Shama Thrush's song is beautiful.....
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 20 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Joe R
“Great Location, perfect for secluded getaway”
Reviewed March 9, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

My wife and I stayed here for a second honeymoon. We absolutely loved it! The location is secluded and low-key. The house was great for us and had everything we needed, including a hot tub, which was very relaxing. There is so much to see and do on the north shore of Kauai, and the River House is perfectly located all the great attractions, from restaurants in Hanalei, many quiet and secluded beaches, and even the awesome Kalalau Trail. We hiked two miles to a secluded beach and loved it! Overall, great house in a great location.

Mar 10, 2017
Mahalo Joe for choosing my property for your second honeymoon and for taking the time to write a review. Don't forget the free night when you come back as payment for writing it........Just kidding. The main thing I want to express is my gratitude to you and all my other guests for all the kind words and support. After 20 years of hard work those words are a big part of my reward. Thank you for the validation. It means the world to me and your words help me continue to do what I love and love what I do.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mark Barbanell
River Estate
Megan M
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful & Relaxing”
Reviewed October 19, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

River Estate was just what we needed after 10 days in New York. The tranquil setting on the river was a lovely place to unwind and relax. The house itself is well equipped with a great kitchen and living spaces, comfortable bed and furniture. I highly recommend staying in this beautiful setting. Thanks for having us, Mark!

Oct 19, 2016
Every comment like this means the world to me. To have put so many years into what I do and have my guests be so pleased is all the reward I need now. All else is icing on the cake. Without you and my other guests there would be no River Estate. Thank you too Megan for taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best.
Phebe K
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“EXCELLENT Hanalei Family House”
Reviewed August 27, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We stayed at the River House in August 2016 with two teenage boys and had an absolutely terrific stay! The north end of Hanalei is the place to be, and while the house is secluded in the perfect way for "non-touristy" types, it's accessible to everything. Turning off the double-bridge onto the estate lane is such a fun and pretty entrance to the house! Waking up to the bird songs and Kauai chickens with coffee on the screen porch was delightful. We've stayed in houses all over the world, and the River House is distinguished by it's lovely grounds, excellent condition, attractive appointments, complete kitchen, great beds and linens, and immaculate cleanliness. Mark was very responsive and friendly. We are already talking about how soon we can get back over here to stay again! Highly recommended!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Attractive home in immaculate condition
Traveling group: Teenagers
Aug 28, 2016
Thank you so much for your kind words Phebe. Your review means a lot to me. It validates that I'm doing a good job and connecting with my guests. It took 20 years but I think I have the hang of it now. Remember first returns get a nice discount here.
linda h
Woodland, California
“Beautiful, romantic, and peaceful place to stay on Kauai even with a large group!!!”
Reviewed March 5, 2016 for a stay in January 2016

We have been to Kauai several times and usually stay on the more Southern end of the island. This year we decided to try something different and selected the River Estate for our vacation. At first I was a little nervous because we had never stayed at this house and sometimes things advertised on the internet look better online than they do in person. I have to honestly say that this place was stunning!!! It was even better than I ever thought it would be. The grounds outside of the house are like walking thru my own personal botanical garden. It is meticulously maintained and the flowers were incredible. The owner was always available by phone and/or email and ready to answer any question we might have. Mark is very professional and has already taken care of every detail related to the house and our stay there. After spending a busy day touring, it was so relaxing to come home to a quiet peaceful and beautiful home. The river outside of the house is so close that every night we would go down the stairs and walk a few feet and just sit there and enjoy the sound of the water and the birds. Before we stayed here, I thought I needed to hear the sound of the pounding surf at night, but the river was so nice and even more relaxing. To get to the ocean, it's just a short few minutes walk to pristine beach. We also rented kayaks from the town just up the road for a very low price and able to kayak from just outside our house to the ocean. Most of the time we were the only ones there!! It was like our own private piece of heaven. The neighbors near the house are far enough away that it seemed like we had the whole road to ourselves. We have done several VRBOs in the past and this place is by far the best. I would recommend it to anyone and absolutely plan to stay here again on our next trip to Kauai. For anyone having any doubts that this place is not what it is advertised to be......it absolutely is the real deal:))

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peaceful setting by the river and the landscaped grounds
Liked least: That we couldn't stay longer
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed April 4, 2015 for a stay in August 2013

Traveling group: Teenagers
ComoxMerm...
Comox
“Idyllic privacy and comfort in a setting that feeds all the senses.”
Reviewed January 16, 2015 for a stay in January 2015

We arrived on the tail end of an extensive, active, cool, wet weather period on the island with our fingers crossed to find reason for optimism for the next 10 days. Neither the house nor, true to form, Kauai, disappointed. The setting was exactly as depicted in on-line photos. Stepping into this lovely house we immediately began to feel relief, the letting go of tensions and the release of all the baggage of knots and worries we`d obviously brought along. It`s an idyllic setting where we felt cradled and always enjoyed returning or just being, in comfort.

Malibu, California
Reviewed December 13, 2014 for a stay in November 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Jacuzzi on the lanai
Liked least: Leaving :(
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing