“Great place to stay”
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
Drone view towards the beach from over River Estate. 3 Blocks away or paddle down the river and back River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
The entry of River Estate leads you to your own private paradise of peace, quiet and romance.
This is the view from the Guest House lanai. My favorite spot on the property.
The open space between homes offers a nice spot to relax or a get together.
The Riverhouse entry facing the orchard.
The Riverhouse master bedroom has a 1930's solid curly maple bedroom set.
The Riverhouse dining area is just off the living room. Antique table and Koa chairs.
The Riverhouse Living area has luxury Tommy Bahama furniture.
Lanai, Riverhouse - Hot tub, living view through to Kitchen beyond.
Relax and savor the secluded beauty in your 2 person hot tub.
The Riverhouse lanai is enclosed with a hot tub on it. (just out of frame to the right)
Looking from the riverbank towards the Riverhouse. Two bedrooms face it.
Looking towards the Riverhouse past the open orchard.
The Guest House offers complete privacy and an extremely peaceful environment.
The Guest House lanai view is my favorite.
The fully equipped gourmet Guest House Kitchen.
The Guest House living - entertainment area
The Guest House living area is simply elegant.
The Guest House Master Suite. The river sounds lull you to sleep here.
Sit on the Guest House lanai and relax. You're home.....
Shama Thrush's song is beautiful.....
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

HonoluluL...
honolulu
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

My grand kids and I thoroguhl;y enjoyed our stay at the Guest House. It was exactly as pictured.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the sound of the river
Liked least: the insects from the trees/river
Traveling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway Families with young children
Jun 27, 2012
July, 4 2012
Aloha Lois,
Thank you for visiting River Estate (Guest House) with your grandchildren and taking the time to write this review. It was a great decision you made to bring your family here and show them a more natural environment than in Las Vegas (where they live) and to know they enjoyed it so much. You're always welcome here. I hope to see you all again in the future.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Chodo
Phoenix
“Idyllic house set by river but we wished the beach were closer”
Reviewed June 28, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

The Guest House -- A truly lovely 2-bedroom house that was perfect for our family of three. It gave us enough room to spread out but still be together. We loved having a kitchen, w/d, and the lanai with it's dining table. The photos on the owner's web site are accurate and quite good. The kitchen is well equipped, especially for a rental. The furniture is comfortable, as are the beds, but not so fancy that we were ill at-ease. The owner has great beach chairs, boogies boards, towels and snorkel gear. We brought our own snorkel stuff .
The best part was the garden view with the perfect acoustical background provided by the nearby stream. One can sit at the table on the lanai or lie in bed and hear the river gently running to the sea. Magical.

It would have been nice to be able to walk to a beach or a town, rather than always having to get in the car. Lots of beaches are close by and it was fun to visit several of them.

We would have appreciated more information about what was in the vicinity. We missed the kind of information that a hotel desk clerk or concierge can provide about the merits of the different Na'appali coast trips, where the nearest grocery store is, and which Farmer's Market is worthwhile. For the record:
--Foodland in Princeville is a way better store for a Big Shop than the small store in Hanalei.
--If headed south, the Costco by the airport in Lihue is great. We bought the best poke and fresh fish there and the prices are terrific.
--The Farmer's Market by Kauai Mini Golf on the way to Kilauea on Sat morning had 15- 20 farmers and great produce, honey, baked goods, and such.
--Kilauea Point Lighthouse and National Wildlife Refuge is really interesting and a great view. For the nature enthusiast, this was the favorite stop.
--Sunset on any of the beaches nearby is great. Bring a bottle of your favorite beverage, snacks/ picnic and head out with the beach chairs that are at the house.
--Our favorite place to eat was actually Tiki Tacos. Amazing! See the review for info.
--Best sand on the beach, especially for digging/ playing, was Hanalei Bay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The stream that babbled along side the house and the noise it made.
Liked least: Infestation of house flies. It's a tropical climate and bugs can happen.
Traveling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Jun 27, 2012
July 4, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to post a review Rebel. I appreciate it very much. I've been thinking of putting in a binder with a lot of my standard recommendations and you just might have convinced me to do it. I'm sorry that we didn't connect on the concierge questions. This is the first time anyone mentioned a shortfall in that department on my end and I'm surprised that I fell short in that department. It is actually what I specialize in. Your comment makes me realize that a binder of information is necessary for times when I somehow don't connect personally with my guests. I had always figured I had that area covered fully because of my personal approach to that service. I'll now put a note in the house suggesting people call m as well to start the conversation so to speak.. My past approach has been "If they don't ask when I call to welcome them, let them have their privacy" I appreciate your feedback because I'm always ready to make changes to improve the service here. Thats a big part of what I offer. I'm sorry you missed out on that. Perhaps I'll get the chance to make up for it on your next visit? ;-)
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Lapulice
Boise,ID
“I Wanna Go Back!”
Reviewed May 1, 2012 for a stay in April 2012

My husband and I went back to Hanalei to celebrate out 10th anniversary and searched high and low for the perfect place. The St Regis was out since we stayed the first time at the then-called Princeville Hotel. The big hotel experience was not what we wanted again. I'd never rented a house before, so I was apprehensive, but for no reason whatsoever it turned out. And I am a fussy, well-travelled person.

The location was incredible. The guest house sat alone at the end of a small private road facing a river with beautiful swaying bamboo trees, gorgeous pandanus trees, among other jungle-like foliage. All day and night long, the sounds were soothing. The cross ventilation made air conditioners and fans unnecessary.

The house itself had everything. Good linens and towels, gorgeous hardwood floors, a fully equipped kitchen, barbecue, and all that you can find on the web site.
But there was so much more. I am almost at a loss for words when describing this experience, as it was a feeling-physically and emotionally that made it so special.
Unbeknownst to me, my husband had been in touch with Mark arranging some special things to surprise me. Mark was a really great help. Without him, things would not have worked out so well or would have been much more difficult. And before we left home, I asked Mark if there were soft, down pillows. I really need one. So he went out and bought one for me. Now I call that good and personal service.

We didn't do a lot of activities-the weather was unpredictable that week. But nothing mattered. The rain was beautiful, the wind, whatever. The sun was warm and we had time for the beaches, too. But Mark did get us a car for much less than we would have paid and would have made other arrangements for us, but we didn't ask him to. We were happy doing less than more.
In Hanalei, we loved Bar Acuda. Our favorite for food and atmosphere. We usually went in the town for a late coffee and fresh bakery goods or breakfast at the Hanalei Coffee Roasters. Check out Yellowfish Traders for mid-century art and chotchkas.

Go, Go, Go! You won't regret it or forget it.

Liked best: Location, Location, Location
Liked least: Ocasional bug, but that's just me
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway
IA
Reviewed March 1, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Pam D
Portland, Oregon
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Guest house on the River Estate the first 2 weeks of January. This is one instance where the photos look exactly like the real thing! The house was very comfortable and had all the amenities we needed including a well stocked kitchen. Since the Guest house is at the end of the driveway, it is very secluded and private. We had a rental car (convertible) and were able to drive all over the island to sightsee. The Hanalei farmer's market is a must!!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
person found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Jan 22, 2012
Marla has become a good friend and as a long time customer she was the first person who kept coming back year after year. As someone who has lived here for over 40 years there are things that are hard to see from the myopic perspective that I have in the sheltered environment of Kauai. Marla was one of the first to wake me up to how special my property really is from the outside looking in. Connecting with my guests has become part of my job and that job has become very very rewarding. Mahalo Marla for your longtime support!
Aloha and Mahalo,
River Estate
Mary Jo O
San Diego, California
“Vacation Hideaway off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed January 5, 2012 for a stay in November 2011
person found this review helpful

My family of 13 rented both of Mark's River View Estates and had a great time. The houses are very well taken care of and the location is remote and beautiful. The furnishings and the flooring in the house are really nice. The bathtubs could use a little updating but that's no big deal. Of course the remoteness is not for everyone. It takes a long time to get to the other side of the island. If you are the sort of traveler who likes traditional hotels, this is not for you. If you like privacy and a more unique experience-you will love it here. We did have a few bugs, so keep the drains plugged at night. There was also a fruit fly problem in the 3 bedroom unit-but I think this must be pretty normal in this area. The flies are so small that they can get through screens. The property is really pretty with lots of fruit trees and other vegetation and the sound of the river running by. The kitchens are well stocked with cooking stuff and dinnerware. We cooked quite a bit and took sandwiches with us on our excursions to save money. Mark is a very friendly guy and will gladly help out with anything you need.

Liked best: The remoteness
Liked least: The fruit flies
Traveling group: Family with Young Children
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$300
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing