“the best”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

we have been to Kauai 5 times now and every time we always make our way to eat at Pat's. the tacos are amazing. we have tried everything on the menu and it is always delish. it's a definite favorite and I would reccomend it to any and everyone :)

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed these tacos and it was so convenient being right on the beach. Just be aware that the the adult's quesadia is super hot/spicy with jalapeneos. I know my Spanish spelling is wrong!!!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were so happy to discover Pat's Taqueria, parked next to the beach at Hanalei Pier. We had to return for lunch a second time. The tacos were mouth-watering. We tried the rice and beans, the fish and the pork. All were delicious! There were a couple tables under umbrellas next to the truck. You can make a picnic of it and walk down to the beach with your meal. We highly recommend stopping for lunch. We still think about those tacos!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I ate at Pat's in early August 2013. We had heard that Pat's was had the best tacos around. We went to Pat's during lunch time on a Sunday afternoon. I had the kalua pork taco which I liked and thought was a great fusion of local and Mexican flavors.

While I enjoyed what I had to eat, I have to qualify this review with a statement that if you are from southern California as I am, and grew up eating at taco shops, then there is a solid chance that you are not going to be that impressed. But you have to take into account that you are on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and that large quantities of cheap Mexican food ingredients are not readily available.

The portion sizes are typical of most island restaurants (i.e., smaller portions) relative to their cost. My kids had bean and cheese burritos that we basically finger food and cost around $8. So again, like most things in the islands it is more expensive than back home in the mainland.

Pat's is popular, so if you go during lunch time, be prepared for a line. As far as I could tell Pat is the only cook, and there is one person helping him with the money. So remember you are on island time, take the opportunity to check out Hanalei Bay.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Pat Grenz used to work at a top restaurant in Kauai and with his love of surfing opened his own truck by the Pier from noon to 3. When he shows up people start running to have lunch and the smell lets you know it's gonna be good. Be sure to bring cash as credit cards aren't accepted. The Kaulua Pig Burrito was my favorite for $8 and guava/passion drinks only a dollar. This is where the locals eat. You had to wait a few minutes, but I enjoyed it my sitting at the plastic table nearby and visiting with people all over the island - and the world that came here for some of Pat's Fine Dining. My daughter had the fish taco for $5 and everything looked great. Pat seemed like a very unassuming laid back kind of guy who did let me take his picture cleaning the grill.