“Luau: Great show, not so great food”

The Mediterranean Gourmet
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mediterranean Gourmet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 47 Restaurants in Hanalei
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hanalei Colony Resort
Description: Savor cuisine from across the world without leaving Kauai. A unique, oceanfront dining experience awaits you at Mediterranean Gourmet. Situated at Hanalei Colony Resort, Mediterranean Gourmet has become a North Shore favorite among Kauai residents and worldwide travelers since opening in 2006. Inspired by the cuisine and culture of his native Lebanon, Chef Imad Beydoun and his wife Yarrow have created a relaxed atmosphere and amazing menu selections featuring Lebanese, French, Spanish, Italian and Greek influences. Whether you are looking for a relaxed lunch or a candlelit dinner, Mediterranean Gourmet is the perfect Kauai restaurant for you. Considered by many the be one of the Best restaurants in Hawaii. Visitor's from around the world are invited to make this Kauai restaurant thier favorite Kauai restaurant too.
NJ
“Luau: Great show, not so great food”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

After reading reviews of the restaurant, our expectations were high for the Tuesday night luau. While the show was good, we were disappointed and wish we spend the $300 for a family of 4 ($69 pp plus tip) on something else.

I'll start with the show. The entire show was indoors, which was disappointing ( it said 'beach front' and I think we thought that meant 'on the beach') While the space was intimate and seating was limited to 80 guests, the indoor venue made it hard to see the show (were were in the back of the room) The show is done by a family - mom is a wicked good drummer; the 5 dancers (4 daughters and a new member of the ohana from Chicago) and the fire show (the dad) were fun and wonderful. The music during dinner and during the show was supurb. They even let the crowd take family pictures with the performers after the show ( no added cost) which was nice.

The disappointment was the meal itself. The food tasted like banquet chow - fish, beef and chicken was dry and other dishes tasted 'packaged' - like a frozen dinner. Desert too, tasted like it too came from a box or a mix. The saving grace was a nice organic salad and fresh fruit, but they ran out of fruit. I hope they can improve the meal, because the show ( if it can be moved outside) was quite good.

• Visited April 2012
Yarrow B, Manager at The Mediterranean Gourmet, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the show so much. We are so blessed to have such wonderful entertainers. We are sorry to hear that you did not get a closer seat, and wish that there wasn’t a back row. We do first come first serve on the seating as this seems the only fair way and offer to stages to help improve the view for all. We too wish that we could do an outdoor Luau on the Beach, unfortunately local laws prevent anyone from doing that, but this is to protect our beautiful coastline. We are lucky to be located in a building right next to the ocean, four miles from the wettest spot on earth. We did not intend to misrepresent by calling it an Ocean Front Luau, we only meant to imply that we are located right next to the ocean. So sorry for the misunderstanding.
We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy the food, certainly not everyone enjoys Luau food, but I can assure that every single item on the buffet was made from scratch that day. We are used to hearing how wonderful our Luau food is based on guest former Luau experiences and are so sorry that it was not to your taste. I will speak with kitchen about making sure we do not run out of fruit again, and thank you for bringing that to our attention, that should not have occurred. Once again I apologize that you did not enjoy the full experience. We wish you much aloha, and hope that perhaps you will come back to the restaurant on another night and give us the chance to redeem ourselves.

Fayetteville, AR
“Forget the luau”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Indoor luau, poorly organized, horrible service, over charged. Just say no.

• Visited May 2011
Yarrow B, Owner at The Mediterranean Gourmet, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our Luau. We are used to hearing just the opposite. Usually our guests are telling us that it is the best the Luau that they have ever been to. I really do wish that we had known that you did not enjoy your experience here so that we may have had the opportunity to have done something to improve it. We are so sorry to hear that you felt this way. We wish you much aloha, and hope that perhaps you will come back to the restaurant on another night and give us the chance to redeem ourselves.
Lanark, Illinois
“Good spanakopita, less happy with lamb”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stopped at the Mediterranean Gourmet as part of a rainy day spent roaming the north shore. Nice setting (although a man we ran into at the Kilauea Lighthouse promoting it compared it to the Beach House ... NOT!), enjoyed the spanakopita that I ordered but did not care for the lamb burger - bland and overly greasy. Hubby's regular burger was OK.

Visited February 2012
Yarrow B, Owner at The Mediterranean Gourmet, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for joining us at our beautiful restaurant. I am so happy to hear how much you liked our spanidopita. On the other hand I am quite sorry to hear that you didn’t care for our Lamb Burger. For the Lamb burger we do use local lamb that we grind our self. Lamb is naturally a very greasy meat and for some that can certainly be a turn off. I wish that I had known, we are only happy to get something different for anyone that doesn’t like their food. Please if you are still on Kauai I hope that you will come back and try something else, I know that we have many items on our menu that should be more to your liking.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Extremely friendly and great food”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 10 nights on Kauai for our honeymoon, giving us plenty of time to try many of the local restaurants. We did the whole scale from Kalypso's(extremely mediocre) to Kauai Grill (delicious and very pricey). We can easily say that Mediterranean Gourmet was our favorite as far as all around experience. I have never written a review like this before, but felt compelled to after our meals there (2). Dining on Kauai was definitely a new form of dining for us. The food is crazy expensive whether it's excellent or terrible and at some spots service is impersonal and slow. Some may think that this is unacceptable no matter where you are and some may think that's just the way it is in Kauai (thousands of tourists coming and going endlessly). I am in both camps and so was very happy to find out that MG offers both great food and service. OK, so the place is a bit homey looking but I happen to like that. We were warmly welcomed by the hostess and were shown to our window seats (we did have a reservation). Our server was Yarrow, who I understand owns the restaurant. I thought that was very cool by the way. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant where the owner is on the front lines serving guests. Yarrow was so pleasant and nice. We were well taken care of.

The appetizers were pretty good (they didn't blow me away but were tasty and satisfying), but it was our main courses that shined. I had the seafood tower (which someone in an earlier review described as a tasteless mound of mush or something along those lines), but I found it delicious. As long as my food tastes good I could care less how it looks when they serve it to me. And not to mention it was a large portion! I loved that I was finally getting a lot of food for all the $ I spent. My wife had the Walu fish and she unreservedly said it was the best fish she's ever eaten. I had a bite and it was very, very good. At this point in our meal a belly dancer started to perform. Some customers seemed not to like this very much but I thought it was great. It's just one more thing that distinguishes MG from the rest. And that dancer was spirited!

Dessert was good and so was the coffee. Overall my wife and I were extremely satified with MG. Great service (and not just by Yarrow BTY. I could hear the other servers and they were all attentive and outgoing), good character and excellent food both in terms of taste and value. We were so happy with everything that we ate there again on our last night on the island. That service was excellent as well. Yarrow even comped a dessert for us, which we didn't ask for and I suspect was a result of our compliments to the chef.

• Visited March 2012
Carleton Place
“We ate here 5 times this past trip”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We kept thinking we were going to go another restaurant this past trip and then kept going here as it was so good...the Lebanese options are really good, the daily specials are excellent and fresh, the cocktails are really fun and the live music is great...we went to the Laua this time and it was good...very authentic and energetic...good experience...the belly dancing night is fun...but overall the live music nights showcase the talent that is on the island and it is a tribute to the owner and his wife that they value these people as well.. this restaurant gives you a true Kauai experience...the staff is very friendly and professional as well...and there is good paved parking...a monk seal is often close by on the beach if you get there early enough for a walk..

Can't wait to retun again.

• Visited February 2012