“Excellent”

Hanalei Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Firstly, this place is in the Ching Young centre, in the heart of Hanelei, not several miles East, as shown on the Tripadvisor map.

Secondly, the two pizzas we had last night were both really delicious and there's not much else to say.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

Have a extra large half Kalua pig & Maui onions and half Royal Hawaaian pizza there on 8/7/10. THEE BEST pizza I've ever had. The family that runs the place are very nice. We took the pizza back to our condo in Princeville & had a feast. It was one of the biggest pizzas I've ever seen. Could easily feed 6 or 8 people.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

The pizza was expensive but delicious and it was a relief to just eat pizza instead of having huge gourmet meals at the hotel & fancy restaurants.... We ate at a table right outside of the door where you get your pizza. We loved it.

Reviewed September 3, 2010

I come to the North Shore of Kauai often - it's my Paradise. My recent experience with Hanalei Pizza captures exactly why I can't get enough of this place....

On my last visit (in May), I grabbed a slice of pizza at HP for lunch on the go. My review was lukewarm - admitting I was a bonafide pizza snob, I rated it a 3. Unfortunately, because it was a quick visit, there wasn't much "experience" to the experience to take into consideration. A few weeks later, a message appears in my TripAdvisor Inbox...it was from Carlos, the owner, and he wanted a chance to make it better. It was clear he takes every single review to heart. Of course, I told him! I would happily return (in August) and would give him the opportunity to knock my socks off. I don't think he actually believed I would be brave enough to show up...but, I did. Just four days ago.

I write hundreds of reviews (I do a lot of wandering) and I can count on one hand the number of people who have contacted me with an offer to make it right. I take into consideration the entire experience of a place when I click on the little green circles...the food, the atmosphere, the service, the feeling I have when I'm there. Carlos had already earned him a bump in the service department.

When I walked into HP the other day, I found Carlos - and his teenage son - hard at work creating works of pizza art for a small crowd waiting patiently in his tiny place. (Most of the customers were locals...a very good sign.) He was pleasantly surprised I showed up and bravely refused to buckle under the pressure ;-). While he worked away, he outed me to the locals (who clearly love this guy) and had me - deservedly - squirming in one very hot seat...all in the Aloha spirit, of course. Over the next 45 minutes, my friend and I bonded with Carlos and fell in love with Hanalei Pizza while devouring one very large - and incredibly delicious - half ahi and half Magherita pizza. By the end of our meal, we felt like locals ourselves.

Carlos did knock my socks off...it's never been easier for me to click on the last green circle on the right. I'll be back...again and again!

1  Thank WanderingEXHousewife