“Inexpensive Breakfast.”

Village Snack and Bake Shop
Ranked #22 of 49 Restaurants in Hanalei
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Enjoy hearty breakfasts, quick snacks, local style boxed picnic lunches, and hearty portions of daily lunch specials at this unique restaurant and bakery where you'll find everything from island style favorite plate meals to juicy hamburgers and homemade pies and cakes on the menu. Also known as the "Home of the Chili Pepper Chicken". Open daily for breakfast and lunch.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I always eat here at least once while we're staying on the North Shore. It's pretty much the cheapest place to get a hot breakfast. Is it fancy? No. Does it have ambiance? No. Can you get elaborate coffee drinks? No. Do you leave happy after a meal? Yes. Here's the skinny. It's a no-frills bakery that caters mostly to locals. You order at the front and pay for your meal, then take a seat either inside or outside on the picnic benches (we prefer the latter) and wait for your name to be called. My husband always gets their pancakes with bacon, I often do as well but this time around I opted for waffles instead (delish). Or you can choose a more traditional Hawaiian breakfast: Loco Moco, Spam, Portuguese sausage, etc. You get a hardy meal with disposable plates and plasticware. Clean up after yourself when you're finished and be on your way. If you're eating outside, beware of all the little birds begging. If you give them anything to eat, you'll never get rid of them.

1  Thank homeowner E
There are newer reviews for Village Snack and Bake Shop

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Village Snack has absolutely no ambiance to speak of. But that doesn't matter, because you can get reliably good breakfast here all the time, for less than anywhere in the vicinity. You order and give them your name, and then wait until they call you. There are a few tables inside, and a number of outside tables in the Ching Young Shopping Center. Your food is served on a styrofoam plate, with plastic utensils. My breakfast is always eggs, Portuguese sausage rice and toast. Certainly difficult to muck up, but it has always been just fine.

Village Snack is also known for its desserts -- cookies and cakes. Their Haupia pie is TO DIE FOR! Haupia pie is firm coconut custard on a shortbread crust, then a layer of vanilla or chocolate pudding, and meringue. Although I am a chocoholic, I prefer the vanilla because otherwise, I think the chocolate overwhelms the coconut goodness. I've had a number of their cookies -- can't remember which ones -- and they are all great. They also have malasadas in the morning: a Potuguese confection that is sort of like a giant donut hole, with sugar. These yummies are usually warm, and they are wonderful.

Food that is reliably good for a decent price: what's not to like? Yes, when it's busy you can wait a while for your order, but relax: you're in paradise.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had a plate lunch here two times during our trip.

Had the combo plate the first time, chicken, beef and spam. Pretty good and tons of food.

Second time was the chili pepper chicken and breaded fish, the fish was very tasty!

Husband had a burger, which he said was pretty good.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

While on a movie tour of Kauai, our guide told us locals eat here. We had been years ago but didn't remember much about it. We were sitting nearby and a lady walked by with a dessert in a plastic to go box and I asked her what was in it and she told me it was the "Haupia Pie" and it was the main reason she comes to Kauai (jokingly, of course!), so I decided to go in the cafe and order a slice for our group to share. HEAVENLY!!! You have to try it! It comes in vanilla and chocolate. They describe it as a firm coconut custard served on a shortbread cookie crust, with chocolate or vanilla pudding, whipped cream and coconut shavings. For $3.75 for a huge pie of this wonderful treat...SO WORTH THE CALORIES!!!

1  Thank Sue4605
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Server at our hotel recommended this place. We had the Chili Pepper chicken, which is what the Blue Guidebook says to try as well. Pretty expensive for a plate lunch, and was just okay. Not sure what part of the chicken we were eating. Had the coconut pudding pie and it was average. Took a long time to get our food, but they were friendly.