“A wonderful experience!”

Kauai's North Shore Surfing School
More attraction details
Owner description: Kauai's North Shore Surfing School provides group and private surf lessons in sunny Hanalei Bay. We now offer Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) lessons as well. Contact us today to book your lesson!
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I've always wanted to try surfing and this was a great experience. Dane, my instructor, was mellow, knowledgeable, and encouraging and I did stand up on the board. There was no sense of being rushed. Hanalei Bay is gorgeous and I had a blast.

5  Thank NVLonghorn

Reviewed January 1, 2012

After a less than perfect Surf Lesson at a very shallow, rocky Poipu Beach, i took a private 2 hr lesson with Keo McBride of Kauai's North Shore Surfing School in the beautiful Hanalei Bay. A soft Sandy bottom at Hanalei makes it perfect for beginners. Surf shoes are not required, unlike at Poipu Beach. (Note: without the fear that I was going to get rashed up on rocks 2 feet below the surface, I could learn to surf with a lot more confidence, which allowed me to enjoy the experience much more.)

After meeting Keo at the surf shop next to the Postcards Restaurant, we followed him the short distance (1 minute) to the pier. There he made sure I had the basics and pop-up right on the beach before hitting the waves. Due to this I enjoyed my time in the water much more.

In the water Keo kept a nice lane open for me as local kids surfers started to arrive. Positioned ourselves almost to the end of the pier; about 40 feet from the side. Safe and protected. From the beginning I was able to get up on the 11' soft top longboard. By the start of the 2nd hour I was getting up quickly and riding all the way to the beach.

Between sets Keo was easy to talk to, giving me improvement tips with each ride. Offered good hints on what to do if I want to take my surfing to the next level.

If you could learn how to surf anywhere in the world, this is an amazing place to learn. Incredibly beautiful. Worth the 1.5 hr ride to the North Shore if you are staying on the South Shore. Skip any beginner lesson requiring surf shoes, like at Poipu Beach.

Overall, you are in good hands with Keo McBride. Guaranteed a very good beginner surfing experience.

3  Thank J_Husby
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Took the surf lesson with my teenage daughter. Our instructor Steven was very helpful. He gave us some brief instructions/demonstrations on the beach and then took us in the ocean for a couple of hours.He continued to give us help catching the waves and useful tips through ought. Admittedly the ocean was relatively calm but we were both able to stand and ride our first and subsequent waves and had a great time. I would definitely recommend this.
The next day we went back for a stand-up paddle lesson together with my wife. We had a different instructor, Isabella. We went a short distance up the river and back and never got the promised trip out into the bay. I got the impression our instructor was working very much to the clock. BE AWARE that although the surf lesson gives over 1 3/4 hours in the water the SUP is less than 1 hour!! This is not clear on the web site.

6  Thank Ttyke
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My parents and I just recently went to Hawaii (June 2011). My mom and I decided to take surfing lessons. We took two, and the second one was through the Kauai North Shore Surfing School in Hanalei Bay. It was such a fantastic experience. Our instructor Keo, helped us to learn to "read the waves" and know how to surf and get up on our own. It was a two hour semi-private lesson, and I could not have asked for anything better. The waves and the beach fit our skill level perfectly; it was a soft sandy beach, so when we fell it was not too painful; our instructor was great and very positive; we were even provided with a big beginner board, which made it easier to get up, and a rash guard to protect our arms and backs from sunburn and from falling. I have nothing to complain about, it was a perfect opportunity. If you are looking for a great surf lesson, visit www.kauaisurflessons.com, you won't regret it!!

3  Thank Lindz18
See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Me my wife, and another married couple got surfing lessons from Keo and it was one of the best experience's of my life! He was so patient and kind with us, we were standing by the end of our first lesson! We have gotten surf lesson's from different "school's" in the past, by nobody has shown us the aloha spirit like Kauai's North Shore Surfing School! I can't wait to go back next year!! If you are staying on Kaua'i you should try it-Here's the link KauaiSurfLessons.com