“Na Pali sunset dinner cruise with Capt. Andy is a winner!”

Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Eleele
Reviewed August 15, 2016

This was the highlight of my visit to Kauai. The Northern Star is a 65-ft catamaran and was roomy and smooth sailing even going against the waves on the west and northward outbound route (which were admittedly light the day I went), and the Na Pali coast is truly spectacular to see. Crew and captain were very friendly and attentive to guests, and I really appreciated our captain's frequent commentary on everything we were seeing, which included geology, history (both ancient and modern), economics, Hawaiian culture, and the occasional funny story. Classic steak and shrimp dinner was cooked on board and was wonderful. My only disappointment was that we didn't see whales, dolphins or sea turtles, but of course Captain Andy can't control that! Would recommend to anyone who enjoys being on the water.

1  Thank 3mcarolyn
Write a ReviewReviews (5,039)
All reviews
in 54 reviews
"great trip"
in 159 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I joined a morning adventure ride along the Napali coast with Captain Ted and Candice. These are fast boat trips on a Zodiac that take you to explore the Napali coastline including some marine caves and a snorkeling stop before the ride back.

These rides are fast and bumpy, but I would recommend them over a slow sailing trip on a catamaran as you will be able to be much closer to the action and potentially the marine life. There are many dolphins and turtles in the waters on the way to Napali and it is highly likely the boat will run into some. We encounters a few pods of dolphins, one of them them with over a hundred animals, and were able to sail alongside them as they playfully swam around jumped out of the water. This alone was an experience worth the trip. The coast itself is grandiose and is a must see on Kauai.

Ted and Candice were fantastic and made sure the trip was both safe and fun. The boats are extremely well maintained and the trip started and left on time - which is useful if you have a plane to catch, like we did.

I would book the trip with them again on my next visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2016

This is definitely the way to see the Napali coast. The raft was fast and the ride to the coast was a fun but a bit bumpy. The payoff of going with the raft, however, was being able to navigate into caves where bigger catamarans can't fit - very cool! We saw plenty of dolphins and a handful of sea turtles. Nice snorkeling. Ted and Candace were great - they had plenty of interesting information and stories to keep us entertained. They really made sure we were happy. Ted would stop the boat or swing it around to help us get great pictures, or just chill and watch dolphins play. Very fun and highly recommended!

Reviewed August 14, 2016

Family came to visit from New England so I brought them on the cruise since they are fans of sailing. We were all impressed with the professionalism of the crew, treatment of customers, and itinerary while out at sea. They pointed out features along the shoreline, stopped for viewing when we saw dolphins, and really took care of us. The snorkeling wasn't too long, but was a great spot that shows what you'll see all over Kauai's shoreline. Overall, totally worth it, and hopefully other people come visit so I can bring them out on the boat again.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2016

We were recommended to do the Capt. Andy's Raft tour by friends of ours who recently visited Kauai and wow are we glad we took their advice! We spent 2 weeks in Hawaii and this tour was by far our favourite and the absolute highlight of our trip. Snaps to Allison and Candice for their expert knowledge and service. I would advise if you are prone to sea/motion sickness, take a non-drowsy Dramamine 45mins-1hr before you depart for the trip and do not sit towards the back of the raft. That is where the engine is and the fumes can make you feel ill and bring on the motion sickness.We sat in the middle of the raft and that was perfect! This would be an awesome tour to do with teenage children. We plan to visit Kauai again in the future and will more than likely do the tour again it was that good!