“Best crew and captain ever, plus great sights, drinks, and food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holo Holo Charters

Na Pali Sunset Dinner Cruise
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Eleele
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Get to the Fun Faster! The memories will last a lifetime... Our four boats, Leila, Holo Holo, and Adventurer II & III, get you to the action quicker than anybody else, so you have more time to snorkel, sightsee, relax and enjoy the pristine waters and spectacular cliffs of the Napali Coast & Niihau. We are the only Kauai boat tours company that offers daily trips to the "forbidden island" of Niihau.
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Best crew and captain ever, plus great sights, drinks, and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Took the sunset cruise of 3.5 hours along with the Air Ventures plane tour package deal. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Late fall is not ideal time for some people like myself to go out on the ocean. I had to take two dramamine and still felt queasy for the first 1.5-2 hours of the trip where we went into the swells. I did not enjoy that part of the trip at all and had to be outside, rain or shine, to keep going. The crew did everything they could to make me feel better, offered me ginger to suck on, a lot of ginger ale, and kept talking to me to help me not focus on my stomach. They even gave me the best seat in the house (in my opinion) where the boat was the steadiest and let my husband sit with me, and theyd bring my water, whatever I needed.

You go into the swells the first half of the trip rather quickly. The second half however is like a different trip, its going with the swells and I was fine the entire last half of it, roaming around the boat, eating, drinking, and enjoying myself.

We saw dolphins, whales, and sea turtles amongst the amazing Napoli Coast and the most amazing sunset. The food was "heavy appetizers" of two kinds of mini sliders, pretzels, fruit, veggies, and other snacks. More than enough for a meal, it was our dinner. They have a bar on board and ginger ale and other soft drinks as well, unlimited. The bathrooms were not the best but its a boat that gets rain all the time and I thought they were great for the boat and was happy to have both of them after drinking all the ginger ale and beer.

The crew really was outstanding, my husband insisted on tipping all of them quite well because he was so impressed with how friendly and out of their way they went for everyone on board. So funny too, full of information and jokes, and just great people all around.

I highly recommend this tour, even for a motion sick person like myself, just take the dramamine earlier than an hour before and be prepared to be uncomfortable for the first half, the second half is totally worth it!

2 Thank PincPleasure
Kit F, Guest Relations Manager at Holo Holo Charters, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review and the high recommendation! We are so pleased that despite sea sickness our captain and crew were able to be an aid in making the majority of your trip "worth every penny"! Until the next time! Mahalo and Aloha!

• Korean first
Aurora
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What an amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Never did I imagine seeing all the amazing things we saw. First, seeing the Napoli coast from a boat instead of the helicopter put things into perspective. It was awesome going into one of the caves. Seeing the Napoli coast would have been enough and made the trip worth it. But then we headed over to the forbidden island for some snorkeling. I have never seen such an awesome sight. The corals and fish were so clear. We were able to see an octopus, an eel, and so many different fish. Lunch was just fine. I didnt expect fine dining but it wasnt but It was standard sandwiches and they had plenty if variety. So on the way back while I think everyone was happy with there trip we was a whale. I topped off the trip. The family cannot wait to do the trip again the next time we visit.

3 Thank Nikkirug
Kit F, Guest Relations Manager at Holo Holo Charters, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous day with us! We are so happy to know the tour went above and beyond your expectations. Thanks for bringing up a valid point, we are slightly biased, but we agree, seeing the Napali Coast from the sea is a completely different experience then seeing it from the air. Both offer a unique viewing perspective, seeing it from sea level really helps you feel the enormity of the massive 4,000 foot sea cliffs. Plus the caves, waterfalls, and all the marine life make it a trip not to be missed. Thanks for joining us and we look forward to your next visit! Mahalo and aloha
el cerrito, california
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“On the “Leila”, the fastest catamaran in the trade.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Tours to the “wild” Napali Coast are major attractions in the tourist trade in Kauai. There are about a dozen companies offering a variety of these tours, most of them leaving from Port Allen. The most well-known outfit with the biggest advertising budget is “Captain Andy’s Tours”. Hence, they also get most of the trade. Captain Andy touts their two new luxury boats, which are also equipped with sails. But talking to the locals, they feel that the differences between these operators are small. The sails on these new boats are mostly for show. You need powerful engines to get there fast and back. Yes, you can use the sails when you are at your destinations, but sails would just decrease stability of the catamarans in a rough sea. And the seas there are usually rough.

From Port Allen the boats go south at high speed to go around the southeast corner of the island to get to the rugged Napali Coast. There they slow down to cruise and to allow the passengers to enjoy the scenery.

We took the sightseeing sunset trip from Holo Holo Charters, because “Captain Andy” was fully booked for the day we wanted to go. Which was probably just as well, because with “Holo Holo”, we boarded the “Leila”, a 65’ catamaran, which was touted as the fastest catamaran of all the charter companies operating in these waters. She can go as fast as 28 knots and indeed, going to the Napali Coast and back we were overtaking all the other catamarans. We needed about an hour and a half to get from Port Allen to our destination, a distance of about 38 nautical miles. If the seas are choppy, it is not necessarily a very pleasant trip. So cutting down the time of the trip is useful. By the way, a knot is equivalent to 1 nautical mile/hour, and a nautical mile is around 1.15 statute miles.

The scenery of the Napali is amazing but, with all the advertising hype, you would expect more. There was the big valley of Kalalau, steep cliffs thousands of feet high, hanging valleys, sea caves, not much visible wildlife, waterfalls, etc. There is a small creek falling down from a ledge about 50’ above sea level, creating a thin spray. Terry, our captain, claims that you should get wet from this spray if you want to get pregnant and then maneuvered her boat to allow those interested to get in the spray. Amazing how many of the female passengers tried to avoid the water.

On our way back we were served dinner, which was vegetarian lasagna, salad, and cookies. During the whole journey, right from the beginning, beer, wine, soft drinks, water, weak maitais and margaritas were freely available and served rapidly by the surefooted crew. Most of the passengers certainly couldn’t walk around without holding on to something, not even when they are sober. The boat stopped for a few minutes for us to enjoy the sunset, and off we went again. It was dark when we disembarked; it was a very enjoyable tour, after all.

The next day we drove up the Waimea Canyon State Park, and after a short hike we arrived at the Pu’u o Kita lookout, 5400’ above the coast, where we saw Kalalau, the big valley again. But this time the view was from high above, seeing the valley rolling out to the sea, where the sightseeing catamarans were cruising around.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank ploddinghappily
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review! We always appreciate hearing from our guests. Sorry for any confusion, but just to clarify, you were on the vessel “HoloHolo”, which is our 65 foot powered catamaran and operates the Sunset Sightsee Dinner Tour daily. “Leila” is HoloHolo’s sister ship, she is a 50 foot powered sailing catamaran. Both of our vessels were designed and built here in Hawaii, specifically for our ocean and weather conditions. We hope you had a memorable journey and look forward to a future visit. Mahalo and aloha
Lihue, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Must do while visiting Kauai!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Absolutely wonderful trips, the adventure to Ni`ihau with Wendal as our captain was one of the best things my wife and I have ever done, and we live here! We have been several times on the Napali trip both in the morning and afternoon, the boat is clean, food is great, and the captains and crew that we have dealt with have been outstanding! I highly recommend this to be on your "must do while in Kauai" list.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Chris H
Dear Guest,
Mahalo for sharing your experience! We especially appreciate your recommendation, it sounds like you have some experience for comparison. Thanks for joining us; it is always a pleasure to have kama’aina on board, we are glad you took advantage of this unique tour. Please join us again soon! Mahalo and aloha
Stevenson Ranch, California, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Holo holo all the way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very deliberate from the beginning about safety and totally dedicated to the cause of maximum tourist enjoyment. My wife, as some other passengers, were getting queasy when we got close to the Napali coast (higher waves), and they tried every remedy, including total sympathy, to make them feel as good as they could. Food was OK, not fantastic, but enough, as were the drinks.

1 Thank Patrick D
Dear Guest,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your honest thoughts with us and other readers, we always appreciate hearing from our guests. Unfortunately motion sickness can occur, even though our vessels are large and stable, we are touring on the open ocean. Hope your wife was still able to enjoy the spectacular views. Thanks for joining us. Mahalo and aloha