“Great burger!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped off here on our way to Hanalei from Poipu on a tip from the concierge. Our burgers were tasty but I agree with the comments to get a double if you like it a little meatier. Fries were good. Chickens and cats provide entertainment while you wait.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is the first place we ate after getting off the plane in Kauai. Definitely a low-key atmosphere, e.g. walk-up window and concrete picnic tables outside. My husband is a connoisseur of the plain hamburger (read: picky) and he liked it. I ordered the Local Boy burger, which was tasty but had a lot of Teriyaki sauce. Definitely an example of the idiosyncratic local take on food, including what constitutes "barbecue sauce". The fries were awesome.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Headed back from a day on the north side, we stopped in for a midday lunch break, just after 12-noon. We had two regular Ono burgers (these are ¼lb beef patties) and two sides of fries. We had a couple of sodas in our beach cooler that we brought to our table. From the minute we parked, until we had food at the little concrete table was seventeen minutes. We had one couple ahead of us in line ordering, but several orders that were ahead of us in the kitchen. It wasn't a bad wait.

Growing up, family vacations were often 2-3 weeks in a car, driving across the country. We’d stop and eat at diner’s and roadside stands. While my culinary experiences have been broadened since then, this burger was what I remember and consider a good, honest burger.

It’s not big, nor is it juicy and dripping, or heavily seasoned. It’s simple and easy. The lettuce, tomato, and bun were fresh. Maybe some of the other varieties are worth going out of the way for, but the regular Ono was a burger. Nothing offensive, nothing over the top.

The fries were done as I’d hoped. Crispy on the outside, a hue beyond golden brown and not greasy. I might have gotten lucky on the cycle of the fryer oil, or maybe they are always this good.

The tables aren’t the cleanest, and there are bugs. But, you are outside in Hawaii. That’s the way it is, and again, it reminded me of all the little roadside stands I’d eaten at. Honest and simple.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The employees are very loud and on the rude side. I loved my fish sandwhich, but it's not local fish. My husband's burger was 1.4 lb but it looked like a small burger. Oh well. Quick food shack after the beach. It worked.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

As others have said, good burger. Consider a double if you like meat in your burger. No slap on them as it gives folks who like less meat an option. Not a lot more for double. Fires were crisp which is criticle to me and hot. They put a little of heir own spice on them. I went to the market next door to get a beverage they did not sell and found a spacey sweet pork sandwich. A locals favorite I am told. Still cannot pronounce it but try it. It is injected into a soft bun. Either way, worth a Lunch stop here. Affordable and outdoor tables in the shade