“Disneyland on the Big Island, but not easy to come and go.”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2007

This is one of those places that is over the top in terms of providing a contrived self-contained experience, but it does have several interesting things to offer. It's on a beautiful spot on the Big Island, and the rooms themselves are very nice. But, if you are looking for a hotel that allows you to enjoy the location itself in an unspoiled manner, avoid this place. It's too spread out to allow convenient coming and going between your room and the Island itself, and the trams and boats are SLOW and impractical. The pools are nice, and a lot of the artwork and crafts along the museum walkway is quite beautiful. But a 15 minute walk between your hotel room and your car in the parking lot gets old fast. There are several good restaurants in the Waikoloa shops, which are much better values than the hotel's own restaurants, which are quite pricey. IMHO, this place loses sight of the fact that people come to Hawaii to see Hawaii, not the grounds of the hotel. I am glad I got this place cheaply via priceline, because I would surely have considered it a waste to spend $300+/night to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank D1andonlyDman
Write a ReviewReviews (8,413)

Reviewed May 31, 2007

We stayed here for a few days in January as part of our Honeymoon trip. As a Hilton Diamond member I stay in a lot of hotels and we're always choosy about the resorts we stay at.

We really enjoyed this resort. We liked the layout and the space. The tram wasn't always where we needed it but we didn't mind the walk.

We had a suite and it was nicely decorated. Not the newest room it was clean and we had a nice view of the cove and pool. We didn't eat at the hotel so have no comments about the food.
The staff was friendly, the service was good and the weather perfect.

Overall we'll return to this property.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SalMTravels
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I think my comments mirror many others, but here goes. We just returned from the Big Island, and chose the Hilton because we could use our accumulated points to pay for the stay. When we checked in we were given an upgraded room because of our Hilton honors status. We stayed in the Ocean Tower, which is a looooooooong way from the entrance, but has great views.

The positives: the grounds at the hotel are well maintained, the room was nothing special but it was clean. We ate at two of the higher end restaurants and while the prices were awful the food was very good, and we didn't expect bargain prices in a Hawaiian resort. We did get access to the Executive lounge, which apparently is different from the "regular" upgraded lounge. Not sure what the difference was, but the breakfast was very good. We don't have children, so the adult only pool option was a big plus for us.

The negatives: this resort is pretty much all a man-made place on a pile of rocks, so you could be anywhere. It all feels pretty fake. The tram is under construction so you have a long haul or a very slow boat ride to get anywhere. We never did see the other side of the resort because we didn't want to commit the 30 minutes to get there. I think their goal is to make it so time consuming to leave the place that you just give up and spend all of your money there. We had lots of off-site activities planned during our stay, so we spent a lot of time going from one place to the other. We went to the big pool at the Ocean tower and it was just filthy - the chairs had dirt all over them and there were standing pools of sooty water. This was the end of the day, but I would have expected some sort of attendants to keep the place up. The adult only pool had better and cleaner furniture, but the upholstery was getting pretty frayed on that stuff. The furniture on our patio was pretty dirty as well.

Overall, it was OK, but I would never want to go back. At least it was free for us, but I would have been really disappointed if we had spent thousands of dollars to stay there!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Traveler39
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We always dreamed of going to Hawaii and this year we were able to do so. For years I held a postcard of the Hilton Waikoloa Village and the Web site looked terrific. We originally booked for 8 days but decided to spend 3 days in Honolulu which was wonderful--we stayed at the Sheraton Princess. When we got to the Waikoloa resort we discovered it was a huge resort in the middle of no where, which was acceptable because it is like a self-contained city where all your needs should be met. It was absolutely breathtaking.

Our 1st disappointment came when we found out resort was under renovations--something they failed to let us know when we revised our reservation.. The main problem beig that the Tram from the reception area was not running and we had to hike quite a distance to the next stop. My husband has no cartilage in his right knee and cannot keep walking long distances. I had a mobility cart (fold and go) but it did not fit on the Tram's ramp. The ramp was designed for wheelchairs and my tires were too close together, so he and the Tram operatior had to lift it up. Our ocean front room was changed to a closer one but it really made no difference because they only have the elevators at the ends where the Tram stops, so to do the wash, he had to take our elevator down and hike over to the second elevator as ours did not go down tot he basement . Then he had to hike back towards our room because that was where the laundry room was. They only had 6 units for the entire 3 circles of rooms (see their layout), so he had to spend 3 hours there.

I then ordered room service because we got in late. When it came, we got a soggy pizza, 2 12 oz cokes, bowl of soup and a turkey club for $70. We still can't figure that out because the most expensive thing was $13.00. The food was of poor quality--soggy pizza, a turkey club consistig of 3 ieces of turkey, mayo, lettuce & tomato slices. It was the size of a small piece of rye bread. The soup looked made up. It was suppose to be chicken noodle, but looked like won ton with added other chinese noodles and tasted like beef boullion cubes. Also, the public bathrooms may look handicap compliant, but they are not. The doors open in, so a person in a wheel chair will have to do their business with the door open for all to see. Luckily I can walk short distances with a kane because I had to park my cart out side the bathroom. If I took my cart in, no one would be able to get in as it would block the door.

The next day we went to Kaila-Kona's town cener and booked in to a very lovely hotel directly on teh beach where we could hear the surf crashing on the rockes..Our holiday was saved and we enjoyed the rest of our stay there.

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank a14ktstqr
Reviewed May 27, 2007

Originally, we had planned to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for only 2 nights since we're from O'ahu and just wanted to spend a couple days on the Big Island. Well, we enjoyed the hotel so much that we stayed 2 extra nights!

The first 2 nights we were in Ocean Tower and the second 2 nights we stayed in Palace Tower. The rooms were both similar, nice and clean. In the Ocean Tower we booked a garden view room and we wound up having a view of the golf course and to the left we could see some ocean which was nice. In Palace Tower we were on the bottom floor and only had a view of a grassy hill. But the Palace Tower has a nicer entrance and lobby, and is closer to all the action. OH but if you are staying in Palace Tower there is NO laundry room, so you have to walk with your dirty laundry all the way to Ocean tower or Lagoon Tower! And the one in Ocean Tower landry room is small and overcrowed, essecially for having to accomodate both Towers.

BUT, the grounds are just beautiful and are very well maintained. It's not beach front, but there's the manmade saltwater lagoon and the ocean is all around you. It's just much of the coastline of this island is lava rocks.

I enjoyed the artwork in the walkways between towers. As some other people wrote, this is not a hotel for handicapped or elderly folks. Also people who don't like to walk, or hate to wait for trams/boats should not go to this particular hotel. But for us it was great! I loved taking the boat, though in a hurry it's faster to walk than wait for the boat. And a word to the wise, everything shutsdown at 1am and from then on you have to walk. We were tired after a long day of hiking the volcano and had to walk all the way back to our room because we arrived after 1a and the boat and tram were no longer operating.

I keep reading reviews about the pools being cold, and I guess they were, but it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed the slides and waterfalls in the pools. And esspecially the hot tub in the grotto area. The salt water lagoon was great! I loved seeing the turtles there and we saw them both days we snorkeled. I think they like to hang out by the waterfall and eat the algae. Also there are turtles the sun on the lava rocks by the ocean. I was surprised to see so many turtles on this island esspecially compared to O'ahu.

Food. Yes the food was expensive. Expect to pay almost $30 per person for a buffet breakfast at Palm Terrace (one of the hotel's resturants). The buffet looked good, but all the food was over priced, as well as the drinks.

And IBM was having an awards banquet or something during out stay so the pool was closed off, however we snuck in and had the hot tub all to ourselves (apparently IBM people don't swim or party, the supposed awards party was dead at 10pm!)

Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Checking in at the front desk took a while and that guy was a little unfriendly, but everyone else was great. I would definately stay here again but I think I would eat breakfast in Waimea at the Paniolo restuarant (red w/ white trim) for a much cheaper breakfast that's just as good. I loved this hotel and am glad that we picked it. I would love to come back and relax in the hamock in the evening by a tiki torch listening to the ocean!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Tripometer
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Absolutely gorgeous grounds- with the variety of restaurants, attractions, pools, and walkways along the ocean you can never run out of things to do. Dolphin shows, hammocks by the sea, loved it! While I was there the tram was sort of out of service in a certain area but it wasn't a big deal- just a short walk across the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2007

It was decent, but I wouldn't stay there again....

I found my stay at this hotely was incredibly diminished and inconvenienced because the hotel basically sold itself to IBM for a couple weeks== which they of course neglected to tell us when we booked our stay and when we checked in. So for part of our stay, the main pool was off limits AND most of the good restaurant reservation times and spa appointment times were booked, as were all the dolphin experiences-- I was told by the dolphin staff that "IBM bought the dolphin lagoon for the whole week."

The nice thing was that the hotel is very large, so there were multiple pools to choose from and none of them were overly crowded- but most were VERY cold- not heated! Also, another complaint is that there is no real beach-- they have made a lagoon from salt water that flows into it, but it is not a beach per se, and it has algae and fungus growing in it and is also freezing cold. The nice thing about the lagoon was that it did have several sea turtles in it, and we saw them each day we were there. There is a problem with the hotel being so spread out== you have to take a tram or a boat to get from one end to the other, unless you want to hoof it up all those steps and bridges.

The food was okay and really expensive. I'd say don't waste the money on booking Club Level rooms-- do NOT expect good food there----- they serve a continental breakfast and evening appetizers (don't expect fancy hawaiian pu pus-- expect frozen jalepeno poppers!)

Our room was in the Ocean Tower and it seemed in good shape and had a nice view of the lagoon. It was furthest away from the main pool and lobby, but also the most quiet and relaxing area.

The dolphin adventure looks like it would have been a great experience and you can reserve a time for this even if you're not a hotel guest- I highly recommend it.

Overall, I would not stay there again, it was decent, but once is enough. And I think I am going to buy a MAC and get rid of my IBM!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank emo55939
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
2 mi away
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!