“Huge resort. ”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Huge resort. ”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Great resort. A lot of things to do with kids. They have a boat that can carry you around the grounds and a nice lagoon to relax on. A huge down side for me is no actual beach. The lagoon is fed from the ocean but there is no ocean front beach. It's a great hotel and worth visiting. Just be aware no beach on this property.

Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,916)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Teaneck, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great location, beautiful hotel. Very big and can get tiring going from one end to the other throughout the day. The breakfast, which is primarily in one restaurant is not worth the cost ($20+ per person). The $300+ room rate should include breakfast. Other restaurants have very good food. Staff is friendly and accommodating. I'd look at other resorts before returning here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hilton Waikoloa, the biggest resort on Hawaii (as they say) has no restaurant open after 22:00 except the chineese until 22:45. So if you're checking in late like we did, you'd better like cantoneese rice or wait for breakfast time...
When we arrived in the room around 23:00 (took time with the train to reach the place), the sofabed was not installed, we had only 2 towels and 9 hangers for 3 people. The room was very small, furnitures & deco outdated and the sofabed matress comfort definitely not OK, clearly a not appropriate combination for that range of price.
When talking with the manager, I've been told that I got what we paid for (!) and rooms are arranged upon arrival, so basically nothing to complain about (hopefully we did not arrive even later).
Last but not least, to park your car, it will cost you min $17 per night, a perfect trap that makes a lot of money.
No doubt, at Hilton Waikoloa, they know how to make you feel like at home !
Will be my last time with them.

Room Tip: Get more info about the m2 not to end up with a very small one. Better to see a picture to avoid ver...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank stephan f
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Stephan,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with our dining options or your room during your recent trip. Our Makai Tower rooms offer the best experience, and we apologize that you were disappointed. We hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Well I read many reviews and took the plunge booking the hilton waikaloa village despite all the negatives I read. I did it for my kids and I am so glad I did. While in Hawaii, we travelled through a number of hotels and none would have provided the fun we had at the Hilton.
Now in saying that, we did not get off to a good start. I had contacted the Hilton prior to our arrival asking for an updated room and informed them of our late arrival time (11:30 pm -we used Speedy Shuttle as airport transfer service and they were fabulous! I highly recommend!) When we arrived at the hilton, there was one person working the front desk and we waited 15 minutes before being served. We were then given a room in the palace tower and because it was well after midnight, no monorail or boat service was running so we were in for quite a walk. (We also learned that there is no food offered after 10 pm.)
When we arrived to our room we found it very damp, very musty, with a mini fridge in desperate need of defrosting, a locked safe, a broken safety door latch AND one double bed with hair and wet spots on it. My husband called the front desk who stated they would contact housekeeping. About 10 minutes later we had a knock at our door and were handed sheets. My husband snapped! He walked back to the lobby and had a conversation with the manager reminding her that we were on vacation with our two children (7 and 12), it was now well passed 1:30 am and we WERE NOT about to be changing our own beds! Another 20 minutes later and housekeeping arrived. By that time we were totally exhausted and simply put up with the room for that night. Our sleep was short as the birds began at 4 am. Now I am a nature lover. I had read about the birds and thought how bad could it be? Let me tell you, it was nuts! I immediately contacted the front desk and I requested a move. We were treated very well by the concierge and by the afternoon we were moved to a great room in the Ocean Towers overlooking the golf course and ocean. It was quiet, had a kind bed, a pull out twin bed and we were comped a roll away for our older son to use. Our room was close to the monorail stop, the boat stop, the boat landing restaurant and laundry ( note- there are only 4 washing machines and 6 driers for guests - one washer was broken, change machines were 'out' and it seemed busy in there morning, noon and night.)
Our next big surprise was breakfast. There really is only spot to sit down and eat breakfast and it is a buffet. The cost is 30 dollars per person. Are you kidding me? There is no need for that. Kids did eat for 10 dollars but still. Even if you ate off the a la carte menu the cost of eggs and a coffee would run you close to 30 dollars anyway. Drip coffee anywhere on the resort was no less than 5.50 a cup. Ridiculous. We did buy the 29.95 meal card offering 10 percent off meals at most places (not the coffee places of course) and it did give us two ten dollar gift cards to use but it was more of a hassle than anything. We lost it once and had it replaced. We forgot it a couple of times in our wallets back in the room safe. It did save us money but over all the resort should come up with a better system. A decent price for coffee would be a good start considering it is north Americas coffee growing state.
Meals were ok overall just as I had read. The breakfast buffet was nothing special. The Italian place had great pizza that our whole family loved. The Mexican place was average. The burgers at the lagoon were good but pricey (16 to 20 dollars before fries/salad or onion rings). The Orchard market had a variety of hot and cold but again they were not outstanding. The orchard market by the pool was only open 11 to 4 and the kona poolside bar closed at 5 pm which I found odd as pools remained open well into the night but you were hard presses to find food or drink. Alcoholic drink prices were costly but that was to be expected at the resort. Pool service for drinks was sketchy. We had to track down our server on several occasions. We did not try the Chinese restaurant.
Pools were vast and plentiful, 3.5 feet deep, and well designed for kids. We did find the linked pools up by the ocean towers were often dirty with bugs, suntan lotion film, drink cups etc. We used the kona pool most often and it was awesome. You never felt crowded. We also bought four beach towels. They have a card system for towels as well but the towel pick up places seemed to close really early.
We spent part of a day at the resort lagoon. We used the paddle boats and did enjoy turtle watching. Chairs are available but there aren't that many so you really have to keep your eyes peeled to score them.
We did rent a car for part of our trip which was a really smart move. We found two grocery stores ( one at kings shops and one at queens shops). They were good but pricey. We drove 20 minutes to explore kona one day and stopped at Target to stock up on snacks, drinks, milk and cereals for our room. The car also enabled us to find restaurants off the hilton property. Lava lava beach club restaurant and bar beside the marriott ( which is next to the hilton) is a MUST! It is a 20 minute walk along the ocean trail from the hilton, or a quick shuttle ride (2 dollars per person) from the hilton ( lower level lobby) or a 3 minute car ride. The ambiance on the beach is amazing. We enjoyed dinner Oceanside with our kids. It was a beautiful night!
Our car also enable us to find Hapuna beach 15 passed waikoloa. The sand is soft, the waves are plenty, the food at the beach snack was awesome and the guys who run the beach toy rentals were super! We drove to hapuna three days in a row for sun and surf.
We also enjoyed a beautiful ocean side lave field walk to 'a' bay , the beach in front of the marriot. It was nice but Hapuna beach was way better in our opinion.
Overall, the Hilton was perfect for our family. Despite our first evening, we found the staff to be friendly, happy and helpful. The grounds are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! We loved walking from place to place taking in all the views. We used the monorail and boats when we wanted too. I didn't find wait times a problem. As a mom, I'm not sure I would want to be on this resort with a stroller. For me, it would be too big and the stairs on bridges and in hotels would be annoying. I'm also not sure the resort would be appealing as a honeymooner (way too many kids around) or as a senior (unless they were able bodied and into walking). We did not partake in the dolphin experience. The 'pond' they are in is very small and the prices were way too expensive. I did feel sorry for the captive flamingos. I hope they get more space to roam than what I saw.
If you have kids over the age of five I'd definitely take advantage of the hilton waikoloa village property. It is a resort and it will be costly. Just read up about the resort and surrounding areas, plan ahead, take it all in stride and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the Palace tower.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank KC2244
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is the first time I book a Spa at the Waikoloa Hilton, the reason is we play golf and there was never enough down time for me but due to aching body after three round of golf, I decide to take a day off and I had booked two session with them at the spa, the first one was a salt scrub and wrap session and the second one was a massage, while the first session was really unsatisfied because the masseuse was afraid to touch me and the wrap afterword was just the blanket that I was laying on, it was dumb and unsatisfied to the core. Thank God I didn't leave right away because the next treatment was Awesome!
My massage with Carol Scholz was magical, she has unlimited knowledge on your body parts and she knows how to work out all the kinks in your body, originally I only have one hour with her but I have to extended to an hour and a half because she was just that good, after Carol's excellent message I forgot about t the first experience I had with them.
When it's time to check out I had told the staff who's working there about the two separate experiences, she did not charge me for the salt scrub and that's where I need to give my props to Waikoloa Hilton for taking customer's word in a constructive way and stride to continue to provide excellent customer service to the customers. "5 stars"
I immediately book a session for my husband with Carol Schultz, of course he also extended his time longer because he felt 1 hrs was just not enough with her. We talked about it afterward and we felt that she is the person that we will be coming to every year when we visit the big Island, she is the masseuse to go to "folks" Carol Schultz!!!!

Green Features: The whole grounds are beautiful and kept immaculate, I especially love the fact that all the staffs are happy and always had a smiling face which made me felt very welcome, And go out of their way to help. I recommend this hotel to all my friends and family!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I spent part of our anniversary trip at the Waikoloa village and had a great experience. We arrived late at night and check-in was a breeze. We stayed in one of the Makai rooms with an ocean front view. Even though our room was on the ground floor and right by the coffee shop, there was very little noise even during the morning breakfast rush. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

We had dinner one night at KPC, the food was very good though very expensive. We sat on the patio by the ocean which had a perfect view of sunset, however after the sun goes down it does tend to get windy so make things that are likely to blow away are secured.

We also ate at the Chinese restaurant that was good but not worth the price of the entrees. I had the Mongolian beef and it was not like the Mongolian beef I am used to, it seemed to be more bland than normal. Everything was a la carte, so sides like rice or noodles were extra.

The lagoon was one of the most surprising features of the hotel. The Hilton lacks true beachside access and the coast along the hotel is volcanic rock so it is unusable as a beach. The resort has crafted it's own salt water lagoon with a sandy beach. It doesn't have the tidal action of the ocean but there are lots of tropical fish and sea turtles in the lagoon that make it almost a perfect place to snorkel. The hotel rents snorkel gear or there are several shops nearby that rent the same gear for cheaper prices. We rented gear for a week since we had a rental car and were driving to different spots on the island but the lagoon was the best snorkel dive we had all week.

We are both looking forward to our next visit to the Big Island and staying at the Waikoloa Village resort.

Room Tip: The Lagoon tower is central to everything on the resort, the Makai rooms are all ocean facing and ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher B
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this very large property and were pleasantly surprised with the ease of check-in and the great valet service. I mentioned that we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and were provided with a spectacular room to accommodate all four members of our family. There are many ways to get around this property. There is a train, which has times clearly posted at each stop. There is an electric boat, again with times clearly posted. You can also choose to walk, which we did on various occasions. We ate at several restaurants on the property and were pleased with the selection and quality. The staff was amazing in every area. They greeted us with a smile and helped meet and exceed our expectations.
The look on my children's face was priceless when they saw the sea turtles cruise through the lagoon and snorkel to see the delightful sea creatures. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at KPC and were treated like royalty.
It's also definitely worth taking a day to tour the island. It is a journey on to its self. This was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it for families and couples.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!