“The gardens are beautiful”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The gardens are beautiful”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This resort is huge as everyone has already written. Check in is very slow, our flight arrived 4 hours before the 3pm check in and were told to check back every hour to see if our room was ready yet. We had just flown a 15 hour overnight flight so were exhausted but kept being told it wasn't available. Surely with over 1500 rooms at this resort they couldn't give us a room that was available! Now although the resort is beautifully maintained I agree the rooms are outdated in the ocean tower anyhow. The room is a nice size but why would you just have double beds, they were even smaller than putting two single beds together. Something else I couldn't understand is there is only one place to go for breakfast which cost us $100 for 3 pax. We only ate there once as it was ordinary so would catch the bus to Queens Market and buy cereal, fruit, milk etc. The fridge in the room is tiny so you can't stock up on too many cold foods but it's better than the buffet. There's no umbrellas around the main pool so you couldn't just spend the day at the pool as you needed to escape the sun. You could hire a cabana but they were around $50 and another huge day bed style cabana was $208 a day. We ate at the pizza restaurant and lunch at the Mexican cafe which was ok but mainly ate out of the resort as it was nicer and cheaper. We did a great grand circle of the island day trip which was fantastic. I couldn't bring myself to swim with the dolphins at the resort as the pools were tiny and I felt so sorry for them so we decided to do a tour swimming with wild dolphins which was a lot cheaper and a great 1/2 day trip. We booked the resort for a week but I think 3 or 4 days would be enough. The layout of the resort is strange and our room couldn't have been more further from the best pool or the lobby but we enjoyed the walks although it was nearly 15 minutes each way. I wouldn't return to this resort as it was simply too big. If you can afford a lagoon tower room, and are prepared to spend $50 a day for shade then I think most people would enjoy it but it wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Lagoon tower room is essential unless you want to spend at least an hour a day walking back and fort...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Stocksadventures

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2014

First class...food, room, everything about it and the tours they offered were awesome..imagine going to breakfast from your room by boat??? Saw whales, just breath taking views and service was first class. Again, our entertainment one night was Cheryl Crow, a luo?? Our room faced the golf course which was okay with us...just an awesome place..hope to go back one day we have been married 38 years and just maybe one day we will go back.

First class.

Room Tip: We went on a trip thanks to Manning Building Supplies...lots to do...Cheryl Crow was our entertainme...
Green Features: We went in 2003, I think, it was awesome and very clean, dolphins, whales, not one piece of litter anywhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Me and my wife and daughter stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for a week at the end of June 2014. We got a great deal through their timeshare folks (heavily discounted hotel rate and a free rental car for our stay if we agreed to go to a 90 minute timeshare presentation... more on that in a bit). Most important tip from me: buy the 10% discount card for $30 as soon as you can. It will pay for itself in a hurry as food/drinks are pricey (this is a big resort in Hawaii on the ocean, you're gonna pay!)

First of all, in response to all the reviewers that complain that the resort is "too big" I have to say that it is a big place but unless you're very elderly or disabled it shouldn't be a problem. We stayed in the Palace Tower which was very nice and it's less than a 10 minute walk to the lobby area. There are many interesting pieces of art along the walkway (mainly Thai in this area but there is art all over the property from different places)and you also have a view of the grounds/lagoon and ocean while you walk so it's not a chore to walk. We had a room that faced the mountain side of the hotel and had a great view of the golf course. Not an ocean view but very nice.

It was hot when we were there, which was OK when the winds were blowing but when the air was calm it could get muggy pretty quickly. We made good use of the lagoon on our first day. We had our own snorkeling gear and the water was getting murky in the afternoon but in the morning it was quite clear. There are quite a few fish (yellow tangs, chubs, sergeant majors etc...) along with sea turtles. The lagoon is fed by the ocean and sometimes near the ocean inlet you can feel some pretty cool water. We didn't use any of the toys they had there but paddle boards, paddle boats and other things were available for rent.

The pools are very nice and very clean. The water slides are a lot of fun, be aware you have to get a wristband from the towel station to use the water slides. We never had a problem getting a set of 3 sun beds together at the lagoon or pools. This is a big place so the guests are spread out I guess, it never felt crowded at all.

The restaurants varied quite a bit though... Our first meal was at the lagoon grill which was very tasty. My wife and daughter shared a seared ahi salad and said the fish just melted in their mouths. I got a bacon/mushroom cheeseburger and it was very good as well. Drinks were good at any bar in the resort. We also ate at the breakfast buffet which was very good and had a great view of the lagoon. It was fun to watch the turtles come up for air while we ate breakfast. The Japanese restaurant (Imara?) was the best one we went to. Sushi was very good and the steak kebab thing that I had was excellent. The Boat Landing Cantina was decent, but you don't go to Hawaii for Mexican food! This is the only place we ever saw any roaches (common in all tropical places of course). The cantina is on a dock like deck over the water and there were bugs on the deck. The feral cats that roam the property made short work of the ones we saw though. Never saw any bugs in our room which was great.

OK, now the not so good with the restaurants. The Chinese restaurant (Kirin) was mediocre at best. The food was OK and the rice they served was instant rice. I thought "Really?! Minute rice at a resort Chinese restaurant". Disappointing. The moo goo gai pan and broccoli beef was fair at best. Service was good though.

Finally (worst for last) the Italian place (Toni and Deno's or something like that) was terrible for service. Tried to call them to place an order to be picked up and they never answered. I went down to order and the bartender was kind of short (inter-personally, not physically) and rude. He also botched my pizza order without apology "Oh I didn't hear you say mushroom" and just turned away. The whole time I was waiting the phone was ringing off the hook and he answered it once. The hostesses were also kind of snarky when I asked about getting a pizza to go. Nobody in this restaurant seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The pizza was tasty though but the caesar dressing on the salad was way too fishy.

I do want to put a plug in for an Italian restaurant we found in Waimea called "Luna". Excellent food and great service. Under new ownership for about a month when we went there. We tried to go back but it just didn't work out for us. It's in the Waimea Center (strip mall) and I highly recommend it if you go that way.

We did attend the Luau which was fun. One of the better ones that I've been to. Food was buffet style and drinks were included (had a few Mai Tais there!) They did the typical thing, history of Hawaii, dancing, singing, a bit of audience member humiliation which was well done and not too embarrassing. The fire knife dancers were outstanding. They had a few of them and the one solo fire knife performer who closed the show was pretty amazing.

Overall the resort was great and we'd stay there again in a second. We never felt that the place was crowded but the parking lot was pretty full so attendance was high I think. It was also a quiet resort, not a lot of noise unless you were in a volleball game in the pool. Music played along the walkways but it was well chosen and peaceful. We wanted a relaxing trip and we got one.

We did do the timeshare presentation and it lasted a little over 90 minutes. There was almost no pressure which was great. The people were nice, explained their system, gave us a tour and then the "manager" came in and started talking pricing. After choking on the first figure they gave us the dropped it to about half for using the system every other year instead of every year. We still balked at the price and they thanked us and that was it. For the record we ran the numbers later on and even if they gave us the timeshare for free as far as the purchase price goes, the maintenance and booking fees made it not a good value at all. If you go to a timeshare presentation be aware that you could pay cash for the property but then you're stuck paying a thousand bucks or more a year forever in fees. Timeshares may work for some folks but it's not a good deal for us. To be fair the properties are very nice that they're selling.

Room Tip: We liked the Palace Tower in the back. Nice golf course view and the door opens into a hallway vers...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Schven
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I've hesitated in writing this review because I wanted to give Hilton the opportunity to turn things around.

This was our third stay at the hotel. Our previous stays were wonderful. This time not so much. It all started at check in. We arrived just past 4 pm and our room wasn't ready. I asked to be moved since check in is 3 pm. I was informed by the front desk that our room was top notch and I shouldn't move but rather wait. So we waited. By 5 pm our room still wasn't ready but housekeeping was cleaning the room and it would be another hour. Really? 6 pm to get into the room? For the inconvenience they offered two breakfasts vouchers. We returned to the front desk to pick up the vouchers and met a young man, Josh who assisted us immediately. Not only did he give us the vouchers but he got a room for us immediately. No wait, not only that but he upgraded us to an oceanfront room. Now why did this not happen earlier is beyond me. Once we got to our room we had to call housekeeping since the sheets had makeup on them.

We had to tip our housekeeper to get extra towels in our room. If we didn't tip her we got no extra towels. Mid way through our stay roaches! My husband took care of them but they were on the floor dead the remainder of our stay.

I agree with everyone that the Ocean Tower is in desperate need of updating. If you are looking for oceanfront you will more than likely be in this tower. So keep in mind what to expect.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worldtraveler428
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the wait for your room at check in and the cleanliness issues you encountered. I am passing this to our Front Desk and Housekeeping teams so they can take immediate steps to improve in these specific areas. We truly appreciate your loyalty to our resort and, once again, I apologize for these issues and hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you again for a much improved experience.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com
Lakeside CA
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Had some initial problems (that can happen), but Hilton Waikoloa eventually made it right -- in fact, more than right! Room problems on second night ended up with a beautiful suite for the last three nights.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was our second stay in 6 years and despite other reviewers complaints of this resort's showing her age, we still found the resort to be a gorgeous place to stay. As Hilton Diamond members we were thrilled when we were given an upgrade to an ocean front room on the 6th floor of the Ocean Tower. The view from the room was awesome and we could watch the sunsets from our balcony. The balcony was narrow but very long so you could see different areas of the resort. Yes the restaurants were very expensive but we were given vouchers that saved us $20/couple. Loved the breakfast buffet. We picked up a lot of snacks and lunches at the Queens Marketplace down the road. Loved eating at Lava Lava Beach Club for sunset dinners right on the shores of A Bay. Wnjoyws snorkeling with my 4 turtle buddies in the Hilton's lagoon. Best time to snorkel is in the morning -- water is really clear and the turtles and fish were easy to watch. You can also swim out to the bay that feeds into the lagoon. The later the day, the more people, paddle boards, cloudy water, ugh. Yes, there is this 'towel card' program that is a pain but you can still request extra towels. You're either just given the extra towels or a log is kept with the number of extra towels you checked out. The nice covered cabanas are no longer free, however. I believe it's $50 for the whole day but if you grab one by the Ocean tower your chances of using one for free are pretty good. We noticed the trams were running pretty often with 2 always in transit at the same time going in opposite directions. It's a lovely walk to the lobby if you decide to skip the tram or the boat. We had a late flight out but staying at the resort was no problem. Had a late check out then checked our bags for the afternoon. You can also request a hospitality suite so that you can shower and change in a regular hotel room before your departure. They are available on a first come first serve basis so given yourself some extra time just in case there's a wait. We left around 4:30 pm, went shopping in Kona, had dinner and made it to the airport with only a couple hours to wait. Am eagerly awaiting the next time we can stay at this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean tower ocean front rooms are beautiful with a great view of the ocean and the little bay that f...
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I cannot say enough about what a very nice facility this hotel is. There is so much to do, that you could never leave the resort and still have a great time. There are a variety of places to eat from very upscale and romantic to pizza, burgers, and ice cream. Room service goes until midnight. Our room was spacious with a nice ocean view over the golf course with great sunsets. It was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and accommodating in most cases. I particularly appreciated the staff at the spa, who rearranged their schedule to accommodate our couples massage when we got delayed on the tram through the resort.

This leads me to the negatives. The resort is so big that you need to take a tram, a boat, or walk a fair amount to get around. This requires you to add 15-20 min onto your departure time for anything off resort. While the tram runs semi-regularly, there is not a reliable time schedule and it is slow. It is in fact faster to walk in most cases. The boats are nice, but only run after 2 PM and there were never more than 2 boats running at any time we were there even though there were at least 8 docked in our building. Walking can be done, but the meandering path causes you to cover a lot of ground to get the same place as the tram or boats. This is most likely to be expected in a resort of this size and is not necessarily a negative, just something that all visitors must be aware of as a reality of staying here. Again the setting is beautiful.

Last, in a resort of this size, staff can sometimes be hit or miss. While the overwhelming majority of staff we interacted with excellent, professional, helpful, and friendly more than a few stood out as a poor example of how to treat property guests. First, we had a tour to make on one of the days we stayed at the hotel that was off property. I called the valet for our rental car 45 min prior to arrival at the front of the hotel to make sure the car would be ready upon our arrival so we would not be late. When we got there, the car was not even in the queue to be driven up from the valet lot yet. I asked the manager of the valet service what happened and he just said we've been busy man and shrugged his shoulders. We only made out tour due to some very fast driving on my part and it added a lot of stress to a day that should have been relaxing. Second, the day we had our spa appointment, we had to take the tram as the spa was on the complete other side of the resort and my pregnant wife's feet were already very swollen. We raced down the stairs from our room to get on the tram and then sat there for 10 minutes while the driver took an unannounced break. This resulted in us being very late to our spa appointment, but fortunately the spa staff were kind enough to make it work for us. To the spa staff I say Mahalo. To the driver I say, just because you are not in a hurry doesn't mean others may not be. take some ownership in your job. To the resort management I say, put the tram on a reliable time schedule. Third, the second to last afternoon we were trying to plan our last days activities before our red eye flight home. As a Hilton Gold Member, one of the perks is that you are supposed to be allowed a late checkout whenever possible. I called the front desk to schedule this as was told that I would have to call the morning of to see if that was possible. When I perissted she told me that there was currently no one booked in our room for the next day but I would still have to call in the morning. I explained that this would make planning for the next day somewhat challenging and she refused. When I called later that evening to try again, not only was I given clearance for the late checkout, but also told that there was even a hospitality suite we could use to freshen up before our flight even after we checked out of the hotel and was advised how to store our bags, etc in the front. If the first person had offered that piece of information, I would have happily agreed. Fourth, we frequently experienced prolonged holds and wait times when calling for services within the resort.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and we would return again, but the reason I travel almost exclusively with Hilton is because they usually get the little things right. They could do a little better here.

Room Tip: Ask for full ocean views or lagoon views. Also, be cognizant of the distance of your room to tram s...
Green Features: The same as everywhere else. They want to look environmentally friendly, but it's all to save them a buck.
1 Thank docallergy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!