“Beautiful Resort with Lagoon”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed in the Lagoon tower with beautiful views overlooking the dolphins/sharks/lagoon/ocean (see photos attached - all from the room balcony). The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable; moderately soft bed and feather pillows were perfect. Mini fridge helped with drinks and food, but a microwave would have improved the leftovers. We loved the lagoon in the resort! The lagoon is connected to the ocean, which allows sea life (including turtles!) to swim within the resort, and you can snorkel along with them. The beach in the lagoon area has plenty of chairs and towels, and a bar and grill next to it proved to be very convenient... Pool area was fantastic too, especially the water slide. Everything was very clean and well maintained. Didn't have a chance to try the spa but it looked nice.
Cons - We didn't have the patience to wait for the tram, so it was a bit of a walk from our room to the hotel entrance (still only took 5 minutes or so). In general, the resort was expensive, but so was everything else in Hawaii (our basic breakfast in Kona one morning for 3 people was over $60 with no alcohol!). The breakfast buffet selection at the resort was average and a little overpriced. Service was good at the resort overall (not so great at the ice cream stand...) but do not expect stellar service anywhere on the island. The laid back attitude permeates into all aspects of life, including service. Take some deep breaths and remind yourself that you're on vacation in paradise.
As for the location, we didn't mind the 20-30 minute drive to places. If you don't want to make the drive, there's plenty to do at Waikoloa Village and at the stunning beaches immediately north of Waikoloa Village. Overall a wonderful experience, would recommend it, and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HaveKitty-WillTravel
Write a ReviewReviews (8,186)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This resort is one of the nicest I have even been to. The resort is gigantic but there is plenty of transportation (monorail or boat) to get around the resort. The food is expensive but you are on Hawaii and you are in 5 star resort. We did find a locals place in Waikoloa Village called Dave's which was much better priced for breakfast and it was delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful. We asked a guest services employee where we could hike and find a natural spring. He sent us on a 2 mile walk along the lava field coast just South of the resort and we found a natural spring in the middle of the lava field. Also along this walk we found ancient petroglyph's carved into the lava fields. Absolutely awesome! The lagoon at the resort is filled with sea turtles and fish and is great for snorkeling. I wish I could live here. We ended up buying a Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare at the end of our trip. I may never stay at a better resort in my life. BTW the Big Island is awesome!!!!! Make the drive down tot eh most Southern point of the Island and see the green sand beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Da84bennett1
Reviewed February 2, 2014

After a couple of great reports and reading reviews we decided to stay here for our first family holiday for over 10 years and we were very disappointed. The hotel itself was very nice BUT.
BAD
- very expensive and can definitely get better value for money
- isolated and have to drive minimum of 20 mins to go anywhere
- food was horrible in every eatery except KPC but very expensive. $250 dinner for 2
- beds were 2 doubles (barely doubles) with no other option. After complaining they did comp us 2 roll away beds for kids but wanted to charge $30 each per night.
- messed up dates of several reservations we had
- kids club was about $135 for 2 kids for 5 hrs.
- hiring of all water equip was very expensive
- service was definitely not what you would expect from a Hilton
- village too big and 10 min walk to get to lobby if you are in end towers. They do have trams and boats to get you around but long waits, slow & boats often not running.
GOOD
- facilities but once again expensive to do anything.
We never write reviews but wanted to warn others of this place as it pretty much put a massive dampener on our holiday. Very nice place but I would shop around and look for something in town for half the price and closer to everything. Stayed here for 5 nights and could not wait to leave then stayed at Hilton in Waikiki for 5 nights and not impressed either. Have not stayed at a Hilton before and will never again.
Big island itself is a big let down in our opinion. Lots of lava rock and nothing else.

Room Tip: Ocean tower is about 10 mins from lobby. Stay in a tower near the lobby but will be $$$$
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank C J
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges, the layout of the facilities, and the island itself. I apologize if the charges were not clear when you booked the room. We strive to personalize each guest's experience and keep costs affordable in doing so - your feedback will help us ensure we are doing just that. It's always a good idea to read reviews and do research to become educated about any new vacation destination. While most guests are extremely pleased with their stay and the island, we realize that it may not meet everyone's expectations. We will continue focusing on clearly presenting the resort and island to future visitors through our website and other online and offline locations. Thank you for choosing our resort and thank you for your review.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here for 9 nights at the end of January. I read many many reviews before and after booking, so we were well prepared. Building and room choice are key at this resort. You need to really study the property map and decide what's important to you. For me it is the view and the sounds of the ocean, so I chose Ocean Tower. Based on another review I asked for and received a room on an upper floor (5) and between 054 and 088 (got 081). Nice room with a stunning view. We arrived just prior to sunset and when we entered the room we were greeted with a stunning view.

For the first 2 days I will say I felt like a rat in a maze. The tradeoff for that stunning view and being in the third ring of Ocean Tower is the distance you have to travel to get to the lobby so you can get out of the tower. There are only 2 ways out of the building which was extremely frustrating. It is what it is, though and while I considered asking for a change I did not.

The grounds are very nice with meandering paths from one end of the property to the other. I spent a lot of walking time, which most of the time I enjoyed as there is lots to look at. Didn't use the pool - too cold (but I knew this from other reviews), but, they're pretty to look at anyway. Maybe they plan it that way to cut down on cleaning costs? The trams are slow and not very reliable timewise, but, my husband has walking limitations so used it a lot. There weren't very many boats running while we were there. It did rain which was a problem as the water pooled quite a bit on the flagstone pathways and unfortunately at the tram stop at Ocean Tower. People had to take their shoes off to get to the tram. The staff was working furiously to squeegee and shop vac it up, but, they could only do so much.

I didn't think the breakfast buffet was anything special. Loved the girls at the Starbucks. Prices were comparable to what I pay at home so I didn't suffer the sticker shock of other visitors. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful.

There are 2 or 3 hot tubs, but, for a reason I can not even begin to think of they are located on the opposite end of the resort from the Ocean Tower buildings. That is the one thing I would have used, but, the few times I was at that end they were filled with children. Not very relaxing. There really needs to be an adult hot tub near the adult pool on that end of the resort.

We found the valet parking to be worth it since it's a $5 difference per day and we took our car out at least once and sometimes twice a day. Didn't call ahead, but, never waited more than 3 minutes for it. All the valets were nice and polite.

My favorite place - once I could get out of the darned building - were the grounds around Buddha Point and the path along the edge of the golf course along the ocean. I was treated to many many whale sightings during my stay. The best show happened the day before I left and was a 45 minute spectacular show. Very cool.

Room Tip: 5081 had an awesome view, but, is a tradeoff as it's a long walk. I would do it again though as...
1  Thank Karin94947

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at our resort on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the view from Ocean Tower and the many whale sightings. We are working on plans for a pool heating system so more guests can comfortably use the pools in winter when the water temperature drops about 5 degrees. I apologize for the rainy experience at the tram stop. We usually receive less than 10 inches a year here at Waikoloa, so it's extremely rare to see that type of weather here at the resort. We will review all of your comments, including the one regarding having a hot tub at the north end of the resort. We are glad that you chose our resort for your vacation and we hope to welcome you back again one day.

Mahalo,

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went to the Hilton Waikoloa Village to celebrate my birthday. What an excellent decision! The entire staff at this resort treated us very well but special thanks to General Manager Debi Bishop and her staff members Shelley Root and Jon McFarland. We are Hilton Diamond members and were treated very well. They upgraded our room and sent a great fruit basket and candy basket to our room along with a happy birthday card. The staff at the coffee shops, breakfast buffet, and other dinning locations were all very nice. Service at each location was wonderful. We liked riding the little boats around the resort at night. The resort is very romantic. It is a large resort and it does take a while to walk around; however, we found that to be part of the fun. My wife used the spa several times and loved it. If you plan on exploring anyplace beyond the resort you will definitely need a rental car. We noticed all of the people we met on the Big Island were very friendly and helpful. We did not feel that way on Maui.

Room Tip: The Ocean View tower is farther away from the resort lobby than the other towers; however, the ocean...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Waikoloa. We work hard to ensure a memorable vacation for all of our guests, and especially our loyal Hilton HHonors Diamond members. I am happy to hear that you left with warm memories of your time here. We look forward to welcoming you back again one day.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had an excellent stay at this hotel. We stayed in the Ocean tower on the top floor. We could see the whales every morning from our balcony. We had no problem with the Ocean tower location and found the 5 minute walk through the center of the resort would beat the train. If you have an active lifestyle, I wouldn't expect you'd find any complaints with the location of the Ocean Towers. The lagoon is amazing. We brought our own snorkel equipment. We rarely used the pools since the lagoon had so much to offer. We saw amazing fish, sea turtles, eels, etc. We ate onsite some, but found some other places nearby (still in the neighborhood), that had a better price/value. We liked the Cantina in the Ocean Tower. One night we got take-out from the pizza place and watched the sunset on the lounge chairs at the Buddha point - awesome!!! The hotel lacked entertainment both during the day and at night. You are left to create your own which worked for us during the day, but wished there was more at night. Lava Lava Club down the road was the best option. The Lounge connected to the lobby was okay offering live music each evening. We leveraged the fitness center every day (which was very nice). If you like to run, the property is about 1 Mile point to point, so makes for a great run along the coast each morning as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I wont bother renaming all the positives about this resort because they have been repeated ad nausiem. This is simply a remarkable resort. The only bad things? The rooms are a bit dated. Bathroom is TINY. Access to wall outlets are difficult. Im splitting hairs because there really are no big things wrong with this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank mitchsn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!