“Great time with the family on large resort for a week.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great time with the family on large resort for a week.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

The resort is enormous, remote, and very nice. Trams and boats are available to shuttle you to/from every area of the resort if you choose not to walk the beautiful grounds. The room we stayed in was overlooking the pool/bay in the Ocean Tower. The furniture was exactly the same as show on the website. It was not as sophisticated as other places I have been in, but it was very clean and we don't hang out in the room very much. The artwork in the walkways and grounds are beautiful! Great native Hawaii as well as Asian displays. Staff has smiles and friendly. There are many activities to do including; Dolphin Quest, whale watching only in season, very clean pools with some small water slides for young kids and older ones too, the lagoon (sand beach, snorkel, paddle board, and swim). Since the lagoon is a delta to the natural bay to the ocean you will find sea turtles and tropical fish while walking, swimming or snorkeling. The Dolphin Quest experience was so much fun for my family although the “pro” pictures aren’t great by any means as they are taken by the biologist not swimming. Thankfully our extended family was there with good cameras taking pics from just outside the water. Overall the food was just ok at the restaurants, and very Hawaii resort prices. The luau was my first ever, and it was awesome! The entertainers were terrific, the food and drinks were very good, and our servers were all over us for refills on the included cocktails. We stayed during New Years week and went to the NYE party. It was a fun time with an excellent buffet dinner, wedding band until midnight and then a DJ came on for an hour (we wish he was up there much earlier since much of the crowd (older) left around 10pm). My wife and I golfed with my brother and sister in-law on the Ocean Course. It was a perfect course for us. Us guys are a 10 hcp and our wives wife plays 2x in 5 years. The Ocean course is much like a solid public course on the mainland. I hear the Kings course is much more challenging. Rental clubs were newer Nike and helpful for our level of play. If you like taking long walks there is a trail that runs along the water front. Wear comfy sneakers as the lava rocks can be sharp.
Would I go back if staying on the big island and wanted to be on that part of the island? Yes. It was a very good value.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room on an elevated floor. It is worth it.
1 Thank MHR-Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,826)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yukon, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This property was great in every regard. From check-in, to the food, to our room, and other amenities. The pools were great and the staff was always helpful and friendly. My wife and were on Christmas vacation and had a great time. The rooms were a bit dated with respect to furniture and carpet but were always clean and tidy. We knew about the resort fee prior to check-in so this was not an issue for us. We were in the ocean tower with a great view out our patio door. I would definitiely return to this property and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

1. Our bathroom shower was not very clean. There was visible mildew on the grout. 2. Right away when we opened the door to our room, I noticed the floors were not that clean. I always wore my flip flops - never bare feet. 3. The room had a strong mildew odor. 4. The lamp on the desk did not work, nor did the outlets at the base of the lamp. 5. The sound of the birds outside was unbearable. We stayed 11 nights, and not once did I get a good full nights sleep because of them. I heard this complaint from other guests as well. In fact one guest said she welcomed the rain because at least it shut up the birds. 6. The room service food was HORRIBLE! I am not a picky eater by any means, but it was just bad! The first time we ordered, we thought it was just a one time deal, but the second time proved just as bad. I had the kahlua pork tiki tacos at the Catina Lounge by the adult pool and they were fabulous, so I assumed the room service pork would be just as good, and I could only eat 2 bites. The room service food was beyond disappointing. 7. Several times our coffee was not re-stocked and we only had decaf. 8. Our room service tray sat outside our door for almost 24 hours. That seemed unsanitary due to the hot weather, and the risk of pests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Bethany H
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Bethany,

On behalf of my team, I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. Your comments are now being reviewed by our Housekeeping and Room Service departments. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and will work to make sure this is addressed.

Debi
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The bad: the Palace Tower is in need of renovation. Its tired rooms just do not belong in the beautiful setting of the resort. If the room alone was a basis for this review it would score two stars… maybe. Moldy shower curtain, worn carpet, tired sofa, broken hanger… Mattresses need updating. One of the two phones in the room was broken (why not just have one phone that works?).

I have one more little gripe about room service. We wanted a croissant and a glass of milk for our child. Why would someone serve what tastes like 3 day old pastry when there are perfectly fresh croissants offered at the cafes on the property (?) AND charge over $20+ for two stale pieces?

The good: the beauty outside is breathtaking! I am giving this place a massive 4 star rating because once you look outside you know you are in paradise! Well maintained grounds, thoughtful landscaping, gougeous views of the ocean and sunsets! If you can ignore the hotel, you will think you are in heaven!

The food: hit or miss. The little grill by the lagoon offers a nice rare tuna burger. Cocktails were not great.

Cocktail tip: try the margaritas at The Residents Beach House at the Four Seasons a few minutes down the road. And their food is great!

Room Tip: Ocean Tower has a loud bird poppulation, Palace Tower is quiet
1 Thank Vessiev
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Oh jeez do I dislike resorts, so my initial impulse was to give this place a low rating. The Kohala Coast (essentially a huge expanse of volcanic rock punctuated by irrigated swatches of ersatz paradise) is a resort/golf destination. If you’re not interested in this sort of stuff and do not have to be here for a conference, stay on another part of the island. That said, I found the Hilton Waikoloa Village to be a pretty nice spot for whiling away a few days.

We stayed in the Ocean Tower, where we had a large, extremely comfy room with an unexceptional bathroom. The lanai, a great spot for watching sunsets, was tiny and had minimal furnishings, but we would sometimes pull the coffee table out there at night, enjoying a respite from the area’s overpriced, boring restaurants with a bottle of wine and grub from the Island Gourmet Market (at Queen's Marketplace--and BTW, not really gourmet) or Foodland Farms (at the resort up the road). You can also get carry-out from the nearby cantina, where you can get a pretty decent pile of nachos with kalua pork. And although I’m a late-ish sleeper, I intentionally didn’t adapt to the time zone because I adored going out at 6:00 a.m., walking in the dark to the Waikoloa Coffee Company for a morning latte and oat cake, serenaded by mynah birds.

Everything you’ll read here about the size of the resort and the long slog to the parking lot is true. I found walking to be the only sane (and relatively pleasant) option, but if you have physical limitations, you’ll be stuck taking the very slow tram or the even slower (if more charming) boats.

The resort boasts the best looking feral cat colony I’ve ever seen; obviously, someone is taking very good care of these beautiful animals. There are also adorable mongooses all over the place. Yes, both species are invasive exotics, but so are these resorts.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ocean Tower and had a second floor room, which was actually more like a ground-leve...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TanteBabs
Kennewick, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Well I first have to start with the bad because it has left me a little upset. Initially, we had thought we purchased the resort fee for $25 a day which includes room internet, DVD/game rentals, cultural activities, %off water toys, etc. so after further investigation I found out our resort fee was waived. I really wanted my daughter to take hula lessons and my son to take the ukulele class. And I wanted to take the lei making class. So I signed up for the $25 fee. I went straight to the activities desk to make the reservation. I told her the activities we wanted to do and she stopped me because she said we had only one complimentary class for each person in the room. No where anywhere, is there a note regarding this information. I suggested that they make this known to their customers but they all looked at me like something was wrong with me and they did not work with me whatsoever. I wanted to have the pass to do the activities and nothing else. So I ended up signing my daughter 6 and daughter 3 up for the hula class and my son and Husband for ukelele class. My daughters went to the class and the lady started ten minutes late and my daughters were the only ones taking the class. So she started and was not friendly what so ever! She spent only 15 minutes with the girls and ended there and left. I asked her specifically and she said the class lasts 30 minutes. Good thing I didn't pay the $15 per person per activity fee and only paid the $25 fee! My son and Husband went to the ukelele class and they were the only ones there. I called later in the afternoon to schedule the classes again the next day and the activities lady tells me I can't have two people in one class and two people in the other. She says I needed to have them all in one class?! I just separated them into two classes that day so what was the problem for the next day? It's not like they have a waiting list to be in the activities! No one else was there! Families have different interests, they shouldn't have to all do the same thing. I was already irritated with the way everyone handled this so for her to be less hospitable had made things worse. I mean, give me a break! We were the ONLY people in the classes and they are making such a fuss?! So she said she'd ask the activities coordinator in the morning and would get back to me. Surprise surprise they did not call. So I canceled the activities all together. It's not worth it to me to deal with these people. I am deeply unhappy with this experience in customer service.

The positive is that they have nice pools and hot tubs and this place was huge! Almost too huge for me. The lagoon side would have been plenty big. The rooms were very large and well decorated and clean.

However, overall due to my experience with customer service and those darn cultural activities issues, I won't be coming here nor recommending this place to anyone. It was really a petty issue but no one was willing to work with me at all or make the customer happy. And a side note, my husband was born and raised in Hawaii and I know the Hawaiian culture and it's not to be rude and unfriendly. It's about being kind, welcoming, giving, friendly, and more. This Hilton and their staff did not exhibit the Hawaiian culture I have learned to love.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank learningtoloverunnin
San Anselmo, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The room was ill maintained with tired old furniture and limited balcony. The planter on the balcony was just dirt. The room was roomy but cheap. No half and half for the coffee and the coffee packs were not a very high grade coffee - should have been good Kona coffee. The hot tub was so grubby at the end of the day it was discussing. the fitness area was small and insufficient

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Deborah D
Deborah,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on the comfort and appointment of your guestroom and property amenities and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We know our guests deserve the best and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you visit the islands so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Debi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!