“If your family is like mine...you'll love The Hilton”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sayville, New York
“If your family is like mine...you'll love The Hilton”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We work hard, have on 9 yo son and wanted to visit a beautiful place and also relax. Our room in the Lagoon Tower was clean, very nice w a generous bathroom. It is a large resort, so getting around takes some time and its best to get the map down in your head.
We took advantage of the ocean-fed snorkeling lagoon, several saltwater pools w slides, hot tubs, restaurants (Japanese, Mexican, American) and the best KPM (?) on the ocean. It was a little pricey but the children's meals were healthy, tasty and very reasonable.
By far the highlights of our trip were snorkeling and swimming each day with the six green sea turtles and tropical fish that come into the lagoon from the ocean and relaxing in the many free/paid cabanas that line the beautiful grounds. My son loved the snorkeling, pool slides, paddle boards, kayaks, etc, (We paid to let him swim w dolphins but he loved sea turtles more!)
With regard to service: I left my camera charger at the last hotel and one of the hotel manager's brought me his personal one from home on his day off to borrow for my stay!!

8 Thank Marie O
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Marie,

Thank you for writing a review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially the lagoon and swimming with sea turtles and tropical fish. I am particularly happy to hear that one of our manager's went above and beyond to assist you. This is a great example of the wonderful team we have here at Waikoloa. Once again, thank you and we hope to welcome you again one day.

Mahalo,
Debi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,904)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Del Mar, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Enjoyed it very much. The location is great. It is definitely a place worth going to if affordable. We listened to a time share presentation and our presenter was not pleasant when we did not want to buy. My sister stayed in the main hotel and we stayed in a condo on the golf course. Both were great,

2 Thank MimoM90
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The hilton is a very nice hotel well built, lots to do, beautiful setting, and well suited for a family vacation, however we found several major deficiencies - it seemed like they were ill prepared for the rush of people everywhere we went, seemed understaffed from checkin, to breakfast, to the pool, even down to the people answering phone calls. You would think for the size of the resort and number of guests they would have double the staff. Another complaint we had was a lack of towels. We had two different people tell us the same thing, that when they asked for extra towels they were told there weren't extra available. Our third complaint was with the concierge, they acted more as a switch board than a resource. When we called for reservations (multiple times) or help, rather than just booking what we requested they would transfer you to that restaurant or activity.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheAggieTravelers
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The property is spacious and nicely designed. There are multiple pools and the service is good at this property. The rooms are clean and well equipped but the bathrooms do need updating. There is a resort fee of $25.00 per day plus taxes. In addition, the parking charge is $17 per day self serve and $22 valet. The self serve charge is excessive given the already high cost for the room and no real useable beach on the property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Dominic P
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Great for kids and families! We like the quiet big island this expansive, family centered resort and it's why we come as often as we can Outstanding snorkeling in their own huge cove in the middle of the resort ith it's own mini beach. You will pay upwards of a $800 just for tha off site in a boat! While expensive, the in site restaurants are great and convenient. If you want variety and to save money, there are dozens of restaurants with five to twenty minutes away. Want excitement? There are pony if terrific excursions and a little research in tripadvisor will get you there.

Room Tip: Palace tower is our favorite and centrally located. If you want to be very close to the lobby and s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank malofsky
malofsky,

Thanks for writing a review on your stay. We truly appreciate your loyalty to the resort and would like to extend our thanks for the past 23 years.

Best regards,
Fairfax
Reviewed December 30, 2013

TERRIBLE. This resort is good if you want to just hang out at the resort and enjoy man-made attractions like the lagoon or the fake canal with the boat. Or you could just go to Disneyland; airfare, food and lodging would be much cheaper. When I go to Hawaii I want to see nature, go where the locals go, eat where the locals eat, and play where the locals play. I don't want to take a boat ride in a fake canal or swim in a man-made lagoon or sun tan in a man-made beach.

Let me count the ways I hate this resort:

1. Location
This is my first trip to the Big Island, so I wasn't familiar with the different regions. Waikoloa (with the exception of the tiny actual Waikoloa Village, 6 miles up towards the mountain) basically is full of resorts, and Hilton Waikoloa Village is one of them. The airport is 19 miles away. Kailua-Kona is about 30 miles south. The next town up north would be Waimea (more inland, towards the mountain) about 15 miles away. In other words, Waikoloa is in the middle of nowhere. Food is scarce unless you want to go to Macaroni Grill, Ruth Chris, or expensive but sucky hotel restaurants. Many end up buying food from the local grocery store, which is decent if you don't care about good quality food.

If I ever come back to the Big Island, I would definitely stay in Kona area. That's where most of the excellent snorkeling spots are, as well as local restaurants and shops. You can get a meal for as low as $9.50 in Kona (example: Da Poke Shack, yum!), while in Waikoloa you'd spend at least $20 for something similar with only 10% of the choices you'd have in Kona.

There is a real local town, Waikoloa Village, which is 6 miles away from the resort. It was a good breakfast place and a couple of restaurants that have decent prices. But for a 10-day stay, we wanted variety and end up driving to Kailua-Kona almost every day.

2. Resort size and ease of getting in and out
The resort is HUGE! And whoever designed the resort is a moron because it takes forever to get in and out. Let me elaborate. There are I think 5 different buildings. When I booked I had no idea I would end up at the third building. The tram that goes back and forth from one end to another runs every 20 minutes. TWENTY MINUTES! Who has time to wait that long when you're on vacation??? So we end up walking the 0.5 mile 90% of the time, with our snorkeling gears, backpacks, groceries, etc. I am just glad I don't have young children to tow like some of the other families do. I am a fast walker and it takes me approximately 5 minutes to walk to and from my building and the main lobby. But wait, that's not all, there is more walking to be involved.

To make matters worse, whoever designed -- at least my -- building, was a moron. So you get in the triangular shaped building. The elevators are on the far end of the building, not near the entrance like you'd hope. You enter and either walk straight to the center of the building through this humongous garden at the ground level towards the water fountain. Then they force you through a path to walk a perfect half circle around the water fountain (you choose to go left or right) then merge again to walk straight towards the end of the building. But that's not it, you can't get to the elevator yet. You have to then walk towards the corners of the building (again, you can choose to go left of right), THEN you can walk towards the elevators that are in the center of the far end of the building. It's DUMB DUMB DUMB. I just end up walking to gravel, sometimes almost tripping myself because they are quite wobbly, especially when I'm carrying so many things with me.

As if that wasn't enough walking, then there is more walking to your car. Valet parking is $22 but they are slow slow slow. You cannot call ahead from your room. So you have to go through what I just described, then 20 minutes later arrive at the lobby to ask the valet to retrieve your car. So if you're lucky you could be out within 30 minutes. But if you want to self-park, it's $17, and there is more walking, at least 5 minutes. There is a beach parking across the street but the gates close at 8 PM and open at 7 AM, so you have to make sure you come back before 8 PM and leave no earlier than 7 AM. We go to bed early and leave at 7 AM every morning so that works out for us.

Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need before you leave your room. We made the mistake of getting to the lobby and forgetting something. I told my son to run back to the room while I go get the car from the parking lot, and I would pick him up at the front lobby. We met 20 minutes later. Imagine if you were at your car then realized you forgot something in your room, it would take you at least 30 minutes to go back to your room and back out to the car again. One time we forgot something while we were already on the road, and we just decided to go to the store and buy new instead of spending the time and dealing with the ordeal of trying to go back to our room. Seriously, going to a hotel room while on vacation should not be that difficult.

3. Room quality
We stayed at the Palace Tower. Apparently that's not the most expensive room, but still I'd expect a high quality space. Wallpaper peeled off everywhere. Black mold in the bathroom. We have a king size bed (remember I said whoever designed the hotel was a moron) and the bed is placed diagonally in the room, reducing the space available and narrowing the space available to walk between the bed and the TV. I don't get it. It's an awkward layout that so does not improve the aesthetic of the room. Whoever designed the hotel must have think "Oh let's create a huge garden and force everyone to walk around and around in a maze every time they come in and go, and let's do something creatively dumb in the room layout".

4. Service
Saved the best for last. I had the modem making a loud buzzing noise at 4 AM, waking me up while on my vacation. I called the concierge, got no sympathy at all, as if I was just calling to ask about the weather. Then the next day I was offered to move rooms, so I asked if I would get any compensation for the inconvenience. Moving rooms would mean packing and unpacking, and would take me at least 1.5 hour, ruining all my plans for the day. Oh and they wanted me to go to the concierge to pick up the key to the new room (remember what an adventure getting to the main lobby is?) which I said no way I would walk all the way to the concierge. Anyway, I asked if I would get anything for the inconvenience if I had to move rooms. The response I got was "No ma'am, we are giving you the best accommodation available". I was furious and said "You guys are not doing me a favor, you are supposed to be trying to fix a mistake, so don't tell me you're giving me the best accommodation available."

One more thing, don't bother asking the valet any area information. There is a beach next to the resort, Anaehoomalu beach, which the Big Island Revealed travel book describes as being connected to the resort by a walkable trail. So I asked the valet about that, and he gave me a confused look as if I was asking if it was possible to swim to Japan from the resort. I said, my guide book says there is a beach nearby. He says, yeah but you'd have to jump over rocks. Idiot. We found the trail, and it was an easy and fun trail to walk, only 10 minutes away to the beach.

Lessons learned:
1. Do not stay in Waikoloa on the Big Island. Stay in Kona instead.
2. Do not stay in big resorts when visiting Hawaii, especially not this one. Renting condos would be much better: cheaper, more convenient, parking is included, and you can cook and do laundry. I usually rent condos but this time wanted to try a resort thinking it might be more convenient having someone clean the room everyday. I'd rather make my own bed and be able to walk straight from my front door to my car.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this resort. Stay in Kona instead.
13 Thank Cindy H
Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with the are being addressed and we are sharing your review with our team. We appreciate you alerting us to the issues you encountered and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

San Jose, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Big Island is the last island in my list in Hawaii. I have been to all four found Big Island the dullest except the volcano, nice strip mall near this resort.

The island is biggest in Hawaii state so have to drive far for EVERYTHING and especially from this resort. There is only one place for jet-skiing, para-sailing, etc. in the island and that too opposite side of the island so almost an hour drive from this resort. But if you are going to Hawaii just to relax and read kindle by the beach or pool side then this is best resort I have seen in Hawaii. It has dolphins and in 2009 it used to cost around $250 per person (if my memory serves me correctly). There is a small train within the resort to go to different parts of the resort as it is huge and you will get tired of walking. You have option to take free train or free boat to roam around the hotel. Of course train was faster but boat was more scenic and pleasant. Because the original beach behind this resort had so many big rocks and not at all swim-able they made manmade beach inside the resort (small but nice).

There is Marriott resort (very close to Hilton) which has a very nice beach but I think that was meant to be only for Marriott customers but like me, many other Hilton guests used to go there all the time.

There is also a strip mall close by where we used to go an eat in different restaurants. I liked this area and resort and if I happen to go back to Big Island again in future then definitely stay here.

Cons:

Food is expensive
Valet parking is costly.
Not close to any supermarket stores like safeway, walmart, etc. BUT at that time one walmart was opening (only 15 mins drive)
Doesn't have beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Mr_AK_82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!