“Great Resort”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 10, 2004

Stayed on Hhonors points Dec. 30-Jan. 5 with wife and 9 and 12 year old. We were given a room on the 8th floor of the Ocean Tower, right next to the elevator. Even though it was not considered an upgrade to an Ocean view, you could see the lagoon and Ocean very well. Having the elevator next door was convenient and the tram ended right outside the elevator, but the elevator makes a hissing noise as it pushes air up and down as it rises and falls. This was bothersome for the first few nights and I asked for a room change. They had very limmted choises and it is a pain to move so we stayed and got used to the noise. This was my second time to the resort and find it to be a great place to explore. We spent a lot of time hanging out in the Cabannas that are spread throughout the resort. It is very big, and that can be a problem, but when you slow down and enjoy the nooks and cranies of the resort, it can be a plus, you can feel almost alone in a 1200 room resort.\My kids loved the hotel.They are remodeling the rooms. The Lagoon Tower is done and the Palace will be next. i thought our room in the Ocean Tower was fine, quite large, room for a pull out couch and a roll away. The bedding could be upgraded, nowhere near as nice as a Westin Heavenly Bed, but nice.Had a good meal at Rays down in the King's Shops and also Huggos in Kona. Food is expensive, but it was goodMy 9 year old loved the Kid's club free afternoon (3:30) activity.
She planned here day around it. Very nice ladies although the facilities in the kid's club are in serious need of repair and upgrading.

5  Thank Larrythegolfer
Write a ReviewReviews (8,413)

Reviewed January 7, 2004

My wife and I and all of our childen and grandchildren stayed at the Hilton at Thanksgiving. There are soooo many activities for everyone.
From Swimming with the Dolphins [which was my grandsons favortie] to a weekly luau. Two great golf courses. As the natives call it, "Hawaii Disneyland". It is kind of overwhelming when you arrive, but in no time you know your way around and all the activies are much closer than you thought. There are a number of good restaurants on the property. Plan to spend big dollars eating. There are really no inexpensive places, unless you drive to Kona. It's a busy resort, but great for a family with active children.

5  Thank Doctordraw
Reviewed January 6, 2004

My family stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa from August 3rd -August 8th. We stayed in the Palace tower and had a view of the golf course. The hotel had some good points and some not so good. The good points included the grounds which were well maintained, the artwork, the pools and the Best of all was Dolphin quest. I highly recommend it and to book it before you go. We booked ours 2 months in advance. If you dont book it in advance, you can sign up for a lottery, but that still doesnt mean you will get in and you have to wait around to see if you do get called. My daughter and I ate at the Orchid Cafe for breakfast. It was pretty good. My daughter liked the mickey mouse pancake. We didnt get to eat at any of the other restaurants... they seemed nice. There was one that overlooked the ocean that looked really nice. Now for the not so good.
It is a very big resort, so be prepared to spend alot of time getting around. The monorail and gondola were nice when you had the time to wait around. The service was kind of slow everywhere you went. ie: getting a towel at the pool, waiting for a waitress at the lagoon to order a drink, dolphin quest store needed more help, drinks at the pool were expensive for a little plastic cup. I was spending $10 every time I had a drink... Lava Flow... very tasty though. The room did smell musty at first but I got used to it. All in all it was a really nice place. We all had a great time and I would come back and stay at this hotel again, the beauty of the resort outweighed all the little things that were not so good.

• Stayed: August 2003
5  Thank pecagal13
Reviewed January 6, 2004

This was a totally awsome trip. For one thing it was free in the fact that I won this trip through a local radio station. Didn't know what to expect especially since I had read quite a few unsatisfactory reviews on this resort. It was totally awesome. I don't know where the unsatisfactory reviews were staying but it couldn't have been the Hilton Waikoloa Village. This was a totaly beautiful resort and the staff were very gracious with us. They were very helpful in every way. We would never have been able to stay at this resort if I had not won this trip. It was something to just see if you can't stay there. It was at a very slow time of year so there was not much going on but it was great. The restaurants were a little pricey but you could always eat somewhere else. It was geared towards families but this was OK too. We had a family at one time and it was fine. I would highly recommend going to this resort if you can afford it.

4  Thank Anita314
Reviewed January 6, 2004

We stayed at the Hilton four nights, including New Years' Eve, last week. My three teen-age children and one of their friends accompanied my wife on this vacation. Our rooms were in the Ocean Tower. We couldn't get upgraded due to the number of guests, but we provided conceirge floor access nonetheless. This was a great cost saver as we had our breakfasts here. The previous reviews appear to fairly represent the Hilton. The grounds are immaculate; the distance from Ocean Tower to the Lobby and to parking is about 3/4 mile and 1 mile, respectively. If you are disabled or don't like exercise, get a room at the Lagoon or Palace Towers.

We ate dinners at the Kamuela Provision Company( Seafood and Steak), Kirin (Chinese), and Donatoni (Italian). All these were excellent. The winelist at Kamuela was fine, not extensive, but adequate. The lambchops were well prepared as were appetizers and fish dishes.
Service was superior. We did carryout at Kirin and everyone loved the food. Orange Chicken, MooShu Pork, General Tso's Chicken and the Curried Noodles are worth a try. Our New Year's Eve dinner at Donatoni was delightful. The setting is well described in the guidebooks (romantic). The food was excellent and the service good. The wine list here was good, but for the type of establishment, I would have liked more choices, especially from California.

The service was good. Yes, there were one or tow surly employees, but most of the staff were kind and willing to assist us.

The bellhops or whatever they are were great. We had our bags delivered to our room shortly upon arrival and they were prompt in getting our bags to the lobby upon departure.

If you like to walk or jog, there are some fun spots along the main road leading up to the hotel. You can walk to the King's Shops, which is just a half mile away. We enjoyed walking around these shops. The general store here is good for souvenirs, especially kona coffee and macademina nuts. And, while the prices were high, they have some fine California wines available for purchase.

Our garden view rooms were fine. As described in other reviews, they are not huge, but they easily accomodate three people (even four, considering how little time you will spend in them).

The hotel is about 25 minutes from the airport; about 25 minutes from Waimea, and about 1 and half hours from Hilo (2 hours to the volcanoes). A nice place for lunch near the airport is the Harbor House. They have wonderful scooners of beer and good fish sandwiches.
The place is on the bay overlooking the marina. It's a locals place for the most part. This is a good spot for lunch following a snorkeling trip to Keokaloke Bay.

We did the dolphin adventure. The kids will always remember it. It's only a half hour and very expensive.

If you want a place that has outstanding places to sun and rest, this is your hotel. If you want to eat in a variety of fine restaurants, this too is your hotel. But, if you want an intimate cozy spot with few people and fewer young adults, you may want to consider other options.
If just my wife and I had made this trip, I'd still be writing this review and giving you the same high marks. It's that nice of place.

6  Thank jeffJBloomington
Reviewed December 15, 2003

After reading the reviews I was not surprised by my stay. It truly is like a mini Disney world in Hawaii. Unfortunately the little disappointments kept adding up to give the average rating. Here are some warnings: I traveled in early dec. and the pools were cold. The man made lagoon had so much oil from lotion in it that it made snorkeling kind of gross & blurry. Don't even bother with the boats or train. They take FOREVER! (Just walk) Buffets were So-So. I was told it will take 45 minutes to get my bags from my room to the front desk. My key cards started not working and I had to trek all the way to the main desk to get new ones. (They wouldn t send anyone out) It costs $10/day to valet park or you take an extra 1/2 mile walk to the guest parking lot.Now what is good: My room (A free upgrade) was both clean and spacious. Check in/out was fast and quick. My room rate was only $150 a night. It is closer to Kona than some resorts.So read the reviews and you won't be surprised!

6  Thank Arch
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed November 19, 2003

I stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa in October of 2003 and found the grounds to be amazing. The self-parking is free, however difficult to maneuver especially when checking. Makes you feel a little cheap, but valet is expensive! I loved the gondola and the train - although slow going it was nice. The lagoon is beautiful and the pool nice, but sometimes crowded. Once I got to my room, it was a deluxe oceanview, but the hallways and the room were musty smelling and I was on the ground floor which made me feel a little vulnerable since people were wandering and lounging out right outside my door. The TV is very small and too low to the ground. My biggest complaint was the lack of courtesy phones!! Twice my key did not work and I had to hike miles across to find the concierge and try to re-key. Then they told me to meet the security guard at my room UGH! When I asked security what should I do if this happens again - he said call me! Now how in the world am I supposed to call him when there is no courtesy phone and I can't get into my room???

All in all it was a nice stay and relaxing. The spa is nice as well!
Give it a try.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
2 mi away
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!