Hilton Waikoloa Village
$322
Travelocity
$500
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
8,564 results
All reviewsocean towerdolphin questhilton waikoloakona poollagoon grillthe big islandpizza placechinese restaurantbuddha pointkamuela provision companyboat rideswim with the dolphinsfishhuge resortboat servicemain lobbydolphin encounter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the owner's units closer to the highway. You can drive or they very nicely provide a free shuttle to the main hotel and pools. Even though the Hilton's main hotel on the coast/beach is beautiful and extensive the King's Land property also provides wonderful pools, kids daycare, amusement room as well as a very nice array of free shows each evening at the check-in lobby area. Entertainment ranged from a great slack key guitar performance to the classic hula/fire dancer show to yoga! The food at the grill is quite good and convenient.

The Hilton Waidoloa Village was very impressive, especially the artwork. If you do not ride the monorail from one end of the complex to the other, you can walk the whole way and enjoy the great art collection. It tells a story and the pieces are amazing.

There are many reviews that can tell you of the different activities the hotel offers. The most amazing thing about the hotel for us was that the natural coves attract the endangered sea turtles. Just steps from the hotel's pools and walkways are rubble like lava rocks that go right into the ocean. The turtles are federally protected and just climb out of the water to sun themselves on this rough beach. Amazing! On our trip we saw at least ten!

Be prepared for the sticker shock at the stores. Yes, even for resort prices it is a little on the expensive side. It is a simple matter of the cost of shipping or flying items into the islands.

As always, our accomodations were beautiful. We love the full kitchen of our unit. High end granite counter tops, a full stove, oven and drawer type microwave. The master suite is huge and we (my husband and I) both loved the spacious bathroom. We especially like the in room washer and dryer. It is so convenient. Our lanai was very large, large enough to have a huge patio hardwood couch with tons of pillows, a coffe table and two other chairs. It looked out onto the golf course adjacent to the building and also out to the sunsets. The funniest part of the view of the golf course is that there is a herd of wild goats that enjoy the greens. Yes, wild goats frolicking next to the golfers. They come down from the mountain, cross the highway and enjoy hanging out at the golf course. So funny!

It is a short drive into the town of Kona and to the Kona airport. The car rental is at the airport. Very convenient pick up and drop off.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WeLoveTravelandFood
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the second visit to this hotel. We had considered others, but wanted to enjoy the beauty and serenity that this hotel offers. Unfortunately, the trade winds were blowing so swimming in the pools was rather challenging.... had to make sure the towels didn't blow away! The water wasn't as warm as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed relaxing on the lounge chairs and managed to get a sun burn even with sunscreen ( guess I didn't reapply as much as I should have.)
On a previous visit, we had found the Lagoon Tower area to be too noisy with all the birds and so we wanted to stay in the Palace Tower again. However, management must have responded to their customers because many of the tall palms had been cut back and there wasn't any more noise that might have disturbed a person's rest.
The nearby Queen's Marketplace does have a small market so that you could stock up on drinks, etc. This time, we also stopped in at the Waikoloa Village which is about 6 miles away and found a great grocery store to pick up food so that we did not have to go to the resort's restaurants as often. The hotel room did have a small fridge so we were able to get small containers of salads, yogurt, etc..... great if your budget is tight!
A great hotel, and if I were ever to go back to the Big Island, I am sure I would want to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a mountain view room of the Palace Tower and had a view of the golf course. Since we were out and about every day, we really didn't need the extra expense of an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank OLDcowgirl
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just got back from Hawaii and stayed the first 3 nights at this hotel. We booked a partial ocean view and the view I got was spectacular over looking all of the lagoon and a really good part of the ocean. The property is very large so you can get your excersize going from your room to the gym if you are in the Ocean Tower. However, the monorail runs quite often so we didn't find the vastness of the property to be an issue although it might be for someone who does not get around so well. The staff was curteous and friendly, restaurants are expensive (but what isn't in HI). The room was good size and clean. We had great weather and were really happy with this location overall.

Room Tip: Our partial ocean view was spectacular and what I would consider almost ocean view for less money. In the Ocean Tower it looked like all the rooms faced the ocean side so there was no chance of looking out over a parking lot or anything like that.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michigandollie_9
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa for work earlier this month. To start out on a positive note, I will say that the grounds/landscaping are beautiful, with lush plants and flowers everywhere. The rooms are nice, and plenty large so if you are traveling with a family it will be a plus. There are a bunch of nice pools too and a great grassy area to spot whales from.

I had a number of issues with the hotel, however, that I feel are worth mentioning. Now, these may be completely irrelevant to some people, put for me they were definitely turn-offs, and I would not return to stay here for vacation:

First, you have to take a tram to get anywhere so it took an extremely long time to get to your car, the lobby, pretty much anywhere on the resort. It had a very "Disneyland" feel to it - not a true Hawaii feel at all. There is also a "dolphin encounter" where they keep dolphins in an extremely small pool/lagoon area, so that guests can pay to swim and interact with them. I really disagree with this practice. There were also other varieties of "wildlife" there, including extraordinarily loud birds that cawed for about an hour at 530am every day. It was so loud it sounded like they were in the room with you, and made sleeping past 530 impossible! There were also tons of feral cats everywhere.

Finally, I had to interact with the management because I requested a room change, and the process was not smooth at all. They were plenty nice, but it took at least 3 calls, and 1 night in the first room before I could move. This was after traveling all day and needing to be ready for a work meeting early the next day. All I wanted was to shower and unpack my belongings, which of course I was unable to do because I thought I would be changing rooms that night.

Oh, and the food is very expensive on the resort property, and there isn't much else near the resort to choose from.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a place with a super "resort-y" feel, rather than a more authentic Hawaiian experience, this hotel may be for you. It seems that it caters to a lot of families with kids. But, I would just say go into it with your eyes open....and bring your earplugs for the birds!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a tower where there are fewer birds to wake you up.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mollynmonkey
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The only words I can say are "absolutely stunning." yes, there are things that aren't perfect. I could complain about the fact that you can't buy a cup of coffee anywhere for under $4.50, or that the valet took almost a half hour on one particular night, but overall my family absolutely loved the waikoloa Hilton. The grounds are incredibly beautiful. There were whales jumping just offshore in the later afternoon. Over a dozen sea turtles were sunning themselves on the rocks. The pools arelarge and spread out enough. My kids liked all the different size slides. Prior complaints about the pools being cold are definitely true. I thought the pools were freezing, but my kids didn't care!
My absolute favorite thing about this place was the lagoon. We taught our kids to snorkel in a safe, comfortable environment that still had lots of pretty fish and turtles. Considering how windy it was, this was our only way to teach them snorkeling. they now are hooked. It was so much fun! Just up the road are very nice queens and kings marketplace shops and restaurants. The breakfast buffet which was included in our plan, was great. I don't know how much it costs otherwise, but at least it was very good. We were in Palace tower,and still had a decent piece of ocean to view from our balcony. The stars at night are amazing fromthe balconies. The rooms were clean, modern and comfortable. I don't like the resort fees, but that seems to be almost everywhere. As far as the size, well the place is huge. There are shortcuts to take throughoutt he property though, and a little walking was nice anyway. The tram, and boats, well we found them to be a lot of fun. since each stop says how long til the next tram or boat, you can then decide whether to walk or not. The kids club at night gave the wife and I a couple of nice romantic dinners without the kids, and wasn't overpriced (it costs $105 total for both kids and includes their dinner, and for that the kids are in camp from 4:30 until 9:30.) the kids didn't want to leave at the end of the night. Best meal we had was nearby at Roy's. Lastly, I truly appreciated that the general manager sent me an email middle of my stay asking if anything was amiss and asking if he could help in any way. Nice touch. This was paradise, and I highly recommend it as a base for visiting the Big Island.
Larry